Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday December 12, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-18-2005, 02:16 AM   #1
spuck
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 55281
Default All electrical goes out then engine dies. Is it all the snow?

Hi there, please help me out, if you can!

04 WRX/Manual (50,000 Miles)

I'm having a pretty serious problem with my car. It only started happening yesterday, the same day we got 60-80cm of snow. My car started dying on me while running, sitting in traffic. The dials drop to zero (rpm/speed), ABS light goes on, and my stereo dies... so pretty much the car looses all electricity, and since (I assume) the fuel pump also goes out, the engine dies pretty fast... I try to keep my foot on the gas, which just makes it hang on another second, till I can pull over (if Iím lucky, and no one's in the way), but obviously the fuel line's empty and the engine starves... leaving me stuck.

Details, we got SNOW, serious snow, to the point that my front bumper was a snow plow, an inch or two higher than the fog lights, also filling in the lower portion of the radiator grill (maybe that has something to do with it)... second of all, it doesn't go out right away, meaning my electricity flickers on, off, on, off, off, off, on, and then finally off for good. It has only happened to me while sitting stopped with the engine on (only for a few minutes), and while driving slow under 20mph (1st-2nd, 1500-2500rpm, maybe that's related)... but I think that's luck and not anything related to the rpm... or slow speed.

It obviously has to be the alternator, which either dies, or maybe the wire is corroded or maybe it's because of all the snow, something is making a short circuit somewhere. I know it has to be alternator related, because it goes out, and then it drains the battery, which leaves me stuck... to the point that the map lights won't turn on. I tried to turn the engine off the second it lost power, but too late, the battery was already dead. I'm really scared it's going to happen in the middle lane going driving down the highway, or just in a ****ty place, like a one way street, holding up half the traffic in montreal, and then getting hit by a pissed driver.

Does anyone know of anything similar or maybe give some valuable information to point me in the right direction.
spuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2005, 05:26 AM   #2
sixpack subaru
*** Banned ***

Member#: 64974
Vehicle:
1995 WRX,APEXi,HKS,$
Faded, Stonechipped Red

Let me get this straight, the car stops and all electrics stop with it?
When it stops the vehicle battery is completely flat and will not crank over?
If your answer is yes to these questions I would go with a voltage regulator diagnosis and see what's happening. If you have plenty of money or the car is under warranty? You can just replace the altenator complete, although you would want to test it first!
Cheers
More info please..!

Sixpack
sixpack subaru is offline   Reply With Quote