Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday August 20, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2009, 01:21 AM   #1
TurboCharged97L
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 71508
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1997 Impretzia
Artic Silver Metallic

Default outback terrible mpg's !!!!!!!!!!!

okay so i just picked up a 1997 legacy outback limited auto. I have changed all the tranny/diff fluids, oil change, fuel system cleaner, cleaned my battery terminals, and bought a new air filter. The car is completely stock with 148k on it:

1. I am only able to fill up with 12 gallons even though the manual claims I have a 15 gallon tank

2. Even if it is only a 12 gallon tank im getting 200 miles on that and thats only like 16 mpg which is terrible, I could have bought an suv instead

I really love this car and intended on keeping it for a very long time especially since the car has the headgaskets changed, new timing belts, valve cover gaskets, water pump, and everything in the car works. I am going to give it a tune up next week (plugs, wires, fuel filter) but I can't imagine a tune up will give me 100 more miles to the tank. I drive alot and this car would really not be functional to keep so I will have to sell it if I cant fix this problem. If this is typical mpg for an outback consider it for sale.

so all in all is this typical fuel economy for the outback ? and what else can I try and fix to solve this? (there are no check engine lights)
TurboCharged97L is offline   Reply With Quote