Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-19-2018, 02:35 PM   #1
Rigid80sMTB
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 474556
Chapter/Region: South East
Default really weird squeak when turning

ok so for months now ive had a squeak coming from the front left of my impreza. its like a constant loud squeaksqueaksqueak whenever im turning either way. the sound correlates to my speed. i thought it was the brakes at first but here's whats weird: it only happens after ive driven it a while, and if i let off the gas mid corner it stops.

ive replaced control arm/steering rack bushings, tie rods, struts, front left wheel bearing, pads/rotors, bled calipers, checked backing plates. cv's aren't torn. not sure if its related but my brakes also make a slightly different grinding/squeaking sound whenever i get on them and the slower i get the slower it gets, but i had that before the squeaking when turning.
Rigid80sMTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2018, 04:44 PM   #2
WyoOutback
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 407226
Vehicle:
2011 Outback
Pearl White

Have you checked your belts as well?
WyoOutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:46 PM   #3
Rigid80sMTB
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoOutback View Post
Have you checked your belts as well?
what should i check for? they aren't loose or cracked
Old 11-20-2018, 02:05 PM   #4
Rigid80sMTB
Scooby Newbie

okay so i was checking all the pulleys last night and i was able to wiggle the idler pulley around by hand...thinking that may be it
Old 11-30-2018, 04:36 PM   #5
Rigid80sMTB
Scooby Newbie

replaced the idler pulley. definitely needed to be done, but it didn't help the squeak. maybe its the caliper? ive tried lubing the slide pins and it hasnt helped. this is really getting on my nerves because the car drives fine otherwise.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:55 PM   #6
Rigid80sMTB
Scooby Newbie

took some videos today.

while turning, not on brakes:

while braking:

Old 12-31-2018, 06:44 PM   #7
Rigid80sMTB
Scooby Newbie

ok i took MORE videos. also noticed that it does it when turned right to any degree, but has to be turned sharply left to do it. would love some help diagnosing this.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:56 AM   #8
Rigid80sMTB
Scooby Newbie

went to the mechanic that replaced my wheel bearing. showed him the noise and he said "well whatever it is it'll fall out eventually, cya". wtf?
Old 01-10-2019, 08:21 PM   #9
Stija
*** Banned ***

Member#: 492861
Vehicle:
18 WRX Stg 2 tuned
Silver

It's gotta be your front half-shafts or drive axles or whatever they are called. I'm assuming you have plenty of miles and it's an older vehicle otherwise it doesn't make sense.
Stija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:29 PM   #10
Rigid80sMTB
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stija View Post
It's gotta be your front half-shafts or drive axles or whatever they are called. I'm assuming you have plenty of miles and it's an older vehicle otherwise it doesn't make sense.
yeah im just gonna order a new cv axle, really hope thats it. i just assumed it wasnt because there's no clunk like you usually get with a bad cv. honestly its probably on factory axles, whoever owned the car before me did basically no maintenance outside of oil changes

ALSO: forgot to mention the brake noise went away after messing with the brakes for the 20th time. not sure exactly how but now i know its unrelated lol.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:36 PM   #11
Stija
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
18 WRX Stg 2 tuned
Silver

I'd change both/set. Otherwise it's 50-50 and the other will also need replacing not too far out.

Rockauto.com has been unbeatable for me as far as pricing for oem parts. They will send you a pre printed return label for cores, if required.

Last edited by Stija; 01-10-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:44 PM   #12
Rigid80sMTB
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
I'd change both/set. Otherwise it's 50-50 and the other will also need replacing not too far out.

Rockauto.com has been unbeatable for me as far as pricing for oem parts. They will send you a pre printed return label for cores, if required.
i probably should replace them both but this car has nickle and dimed me like crazy so im trying to spend as little as possible. ill just try one for now since im 99% sure its coming from the drivers side. yeah i always order from rockauto, but man when you have to return something it really sucks.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #13
Stija
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
18 WRX Stg 2 tuned
Silver

Depending on your circumstances surrounding keeping this car and if you can live with the noise you can just keep driving. The worst that can happen is one breaks and since we are awd I'd think you'd still be able to drive. Then change it once broke. I've done that before when I was younger and poorer and with older cars.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:09 AM   #14
Rigid80sMTB
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Depending on your circumstances surrounding keeping this car and if you can live with the noise you can just keep driving. The worst that can happen is one breaks and since we are awd I'd think you'd still be able to drive. Then change it once broke. I've done that before when I was younger and poorer and with older cars.
Welp, the sound is FINALLY gone. It was the driver's side axle. The original one had a bunch of play in it but everyone was like "oh thats normal"...yet my brand new one had zero play lol. Seems to have fixed my highway wandering and vibration too.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:00 PM   #15
Stija
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
18 WRX Stg 2 tuned
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid80sMTB View Post
Welp, the sound is FINALLY gone. It was the driver's side axle. The original one had a bunch of play in it but everyone was like "oh thats normal"...yet my brand new one had zero play lol. Seems to have fixed my highway wandering and vibration too.
Thank you for letting us know what it was.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:51 PM   #16
Rigid80sMTB
Scooby Newbie

Gonna keep updating this thread in case anyone else has the same problem - but the noise is back after about 2 weeks. SAME EXACT NOISE. So I guess its not the CV? Maybe its the wheel bearing after all. I swear anybody else would've scrapped this thing by now
Old 06-01-2019, 05:49 PM   #17
Rigid80sMTB
Scooby Newbie

It was the wheel bearing/hub. Installed new hub/wheel bearing and the squeak is gone for good. I changed the wheel bearing last year but not the hub, and the mechanic didn't bother telling me the hub was worn too, so there was still play in the assembly causing the squeak and vibration. Also my steering wheel is straight now so thats cool.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #18
Rigid80sMTB
Scooby Newbie

The noise is slowly coming back, and there's a pop when turning at low speeds now. Wtf is the deal with this car. Oh and I went to make sure my top hats were tight (WITH A LITTLE 3/8 RATCHET) and this happened: https://i.imgur.com/6okUl4a.jpg

This thread has basically become my blog