Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-29-2018, 03:02 PM   #26
ChicknFan
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 466476
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WRB

Glad to see someone else went with the lapis blue instead of the WR blue! The darker tones look really nice in the bright sun!
ChicknFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2018, 11:16 PM   #27
mnrex
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 465623

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicknFan View Post
Glad to see someone else went with the lapis blue instead of the WR blue! The darker tones look really nice in the bright sun!
Thank you! I was dead set on silver til I saw a WRX in Lapis. Loads of work to keep clean but 100% worth it.
mnrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:29 PM   #28
open1your1eyes0
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 479997
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited CVT
Lapis Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnrex View Post
Thank you! I was dead set on silver til I saw a WRX in Lapis. Loads of work to keep clean but 100% worth it.
I'll be joining the LBP crew very shortly after ordering my 2019 Limited. Super excited and can't wait for this amazing color to show its shine!
open1your1eyes0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:01 PM   #29
mnrex
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by open1your1eyes0 View Post
I'll be joining the LBP crew very shortly after ordering my 2019 Limited. Super excited and can't wait for this amazing color to show its shine!
Congrats and welcome to the cool kids club!
Old 06-01-2018, 05:44 PM   #30
SycsFinest
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 411320
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited
Galaxy Blue

Wow! Looks fantastic. Details on the tail light take apart? Reminds me of my gen coupe days.
SycsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:14 PM   #31
mnrex
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SycsFinest View Post
Wow! Looks fantastic. Details on the tail light take apart? Reminds me of my gen coupe days.
Yeah I'll be doing a full write up for the tails! Really not too complicated, but is a little messy with all the dremeling.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:19 PM   #32
mnrex
Scooby Newbie

Took advantage of a Memorial Day sale to pick up a set of LED fogs from Lightwerkz! I'm getting pretty good at taking the bumper off!

Loving the blacked out look. I still haven't decided what to do with the turn signals... I'm contemplating getting tinted LED replacements from Subispeed.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:55 PM   #33
mnrex
Scooby Newbie

Got my new plates on this afternoon!

Currently working on a write-up for the taillight project and finishing up mounting my front lip tomorrow. More to come!
Old 06-22-2018, 03:18 AM   #34
PULMEOVR
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 222724
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Sport
World Rally Blue

Very tasteful mods.

Your car looks great!
PULMEOVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:18 AM   #35
WJD.2018.WRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 487450

Thanks for sharing this journal. I love how you’ve laid out your thoughts. Great job
WJD.2018.WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:39 PM   #36
Insane_Dawe
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 422151
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
GBP

Awesome journal, keeping it nice and simple. Your giving me more inspiration.
Insane_Dawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:06 PM   #37
mnrex
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULMEOVR View Post
Very tasteful mods.

Your car looks great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJD.2018.WRX View Post
Thanks for sharing this journal. I love how you’ve laid out your thoughts. Great job
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane_Dawe View Post
Awesome journal, keeping it nice and simple. Your giving me more inspiration.
Thanks all!
Old 06-24-2018, 12:30 PM   #38
mnrex
Scooby Newbie

Date: 06/24/18
ODO: 15700

After seeing the '18 front lip on a few cars, I decided to pick one up myself. As much as I'd love to go OEM, I just couldn't justify dropping $300+ dollars on something that might get ripped off on a snowbank or curb. Thankfully Bayson R makes an OEM clone '18 lip (link). For $130 shipped, it seemed too good to be true, but I pulled the trigger anyways.

The lip arrived a few days later packaged pretty well. There was a bit of a bend in the lip upon taking it out of the box, but a few hours in the sun helped straighten everything back out.

I considered mounting it unpainted, but I wasn't a fan of the raw eurethane look. I had some satin black Krylon Fusion leftover from my headlight project, so I sanded the lip down and threw a few coats on.

Since the lip was most likely going to be taking a beating, I did some research on clear coats and wound up ordering a 2K (two stage) matte clear coat from Amazon (linky). There's a great thread over on rx8club.com with great tips on painting eurethane lips and the use of 2K clear coats. The stuff came with a warning label that took up half the can, so I knew it must be good!

Having not used a two stage clear before, I'm extremely impressed with the finish and durability of the final product.

I used a combination of rivnuts and M6 bolts/washers to secure the lip to the bumper.

Overall the Bayson R lip is an awesome looking piece for the money. The fitment was good but did take some encouragement to position correctly.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:49 PM   #39
mnrex
Scooby Newbie

Holy crap have I been slacking. Haven't updated my build thread here for over six months! New Years resolution: be better at that.

Unfortunately not a lot has happened with the WRX in terms of mods - it's been a slow fall/winter due to our furnace taking a dump back in November.

I threw the winter wheels back on in early November and decided to de-chrome what I could this time around. Black lugs and painted center caps did the trick!

I did finally pick myself up a Billetworkz shift knob as an early Christmas present, though! I went with Blue Cosmic Space - it matches the Lapis Blue Pearl so perfectly. I really need to get a better e-brake handle now, though. I've had my eye on the anodized RSP handle from Subispeed...

As of January 2019, the cars at just over 23k! Hard to believe it's only been a year since I picked her up.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:06 PM   #40
fullah
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 233053

Looks great. What's involved with doing those taillights? Did you follow a how To?
fullah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:33 PM   #41
mnrex
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullah View Post
Looks great. What's involved with doing those taillights? Did you follow a how To?
Yes! Thank you for the reminder. I wrote a full guide here: https://benscarblog.com/wrx-taillight-blackout/

If you have specific questions feel free to let me know!
Old 05-31-2019, 07:47 PM   #42
mnrex
Scooby Newbie

Default May 2019 Update

Date: 5/31/19
ODO: 28200

Whew. It's been a busy summer so far!

Somewhere in the depths of winter I decided to start researching working with carbon fiber. I had been curious how much work it'd be to start wrapping/making parts myself, so I built up some documentation, watched hours worth of videos, and picked up a starter kit from Composite Envisions to get cracking once the weather warmed up.

Eventually the sun came out, and I got to work. I decided to start by wrapping the shifter trim in my WRX. Here's a few pics from the process:

I'm super happy with how it turned out. It took a lot longer than I'd like, but it was a great learning opportunity! I'm currently working on writing up a blog post with specifics on the process. Since wrapping the shifter bezel, I've done my hazard button as well, and am just finishing up doing a set of spare door handles for a friend. I'll be sure to post up some more pictures once those are done!

After installing the carbon bits, I realized the rest of the chrome/silver on the interior had to go as well. I pulled the vent surrounds and blacked them out along with my e-brake:

Once I've got the door handles wrapped up (heh) and installed, it should finish off the interior nicely. Still a ton I want to do, but at least all the chrome will be gone!
Old 05-31-2019, 07:47 PM   #43
mnrex
Scooby Newbie

This past month I also picked up a set of my dream wheels for the WRX - Rays Gram Lights 57DR in semi gloss black. Specs are 18x9.5 +38. I had to make an almost 10 hour round trip to get them from Minnesota, but it was oh so worth it!

Before mounting up the new wheels, I decided to take a second stab at painting the calipers. My first attempt hadn't fared well, and the calipers were rusting something fierce. This time around I took extra time and care to clean every nook and cranny, and used Duplicolor's brush-on kit instead of the rattle can stuff. After a few weeks it's already holding up significantly better.

I quickly swapped out the Falken Azenis (225s = mucho stretcho) for some more suitable General G-MAX RS summer rubber (255/35ZR-18). Even after an alignment check, one of the tires is wanting to track right, so I've got a replacement in the garage from Tire Rack to swap out. Just need to figure out which tire it is... Tracking issues aside, I'm loving the G-MAXs so far!

One last item to note is my clutch pedal has developed a pretty wicked squeak in certain temperatures. When it started on-and-off a few months ago I chalked it up to the cold temps and a bunk clutch pedal assembly (after reading some threads on the topic). Unfortunately, more recently I've noticed a different...feeling in the clutch itself. I've heard of throwout bearing issues on the 2015-2018's, so I've got an appointment with the dealership next week to take a look.