Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday September 19, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Car Part Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-25-2019, 05:01 PM   #1
Subie574
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 500447
Default Sprint Booster V3 for 2015+ wrx

Just picked up a Sprint Booster V3 for my VA series WRX. I had used the V2 in my previous car and the simple 3 modes were fine in that one. Overall, my previous application was a 10/10 as that car had ridiculous lag. For this application, it has to be a solid 8/10.

So, for all who haven’t heard of these, they are basically a piece of hardware about the size of half a pack of cigarettes that plugs in between the car’s pedal box and the wire that leads to the car’s dbw throttle connection. They manipulate the output of the pedal box to make it appear that the driver is pushing the pedal down faster than they actually are.

Why did I choose the sprint booster again?

I did not want to get a custom tune until I passed my warranty period. That’s basically it. A tune would solve my throttle concerns AND provide me with a better map, because even with improved throttle, the booster can’t solve the dead spots in the rpm range.

For something that is not the far better custom tune option, how is it? Well, before installing it, rev matches were a chore and I could never get them reliably 100% of the time, especially when braking hard. Also, when I wanted to nail it in first from a roll, I practically had to break my leg to hit the gas hard enough to get good acceleration. Also, I get cramps from holding down the accelerator on long trips. This helps alleviate that. At the optimum settings for my tastes I can hold the pedal down to 75% to get 100% acceleration, which lets me get full throttle where I had used to need a bit longer to strain the last bit to hit the pedal to the floor. On top of that the rev matches are strong now as it is telling the ecu that I am reaching a higher throttle position than I actually am (where normally it would register 15% it will send 30%, etc) and that basically gives me the good punch of the throttle that I need for rev matches with basically a small flick.

I have arrived at race 1 (never higher than this or it shifts extremely jumpy and ****ed up) or Sport 3 (the numbers determine how much to shift 100% throttle back by position 1-9). Race 1 is a lot more responsive, sport 3 introduces some lag, but less lag than stock and being that it squeezes the position down to 100% at maybe 60 or 70% depression of pedal, it give a little compromise to the immediacy of race mode.

Overall, do I wish I could have used a tune instead? Yes, but short of that, this fixed my biggest dislikes for the stock throttle mappings. Is it work $300? To me yes. I can not have to worry about losing my warranty if something goes wrong. 1 minute and it’s unplugged. No traces except the wire holder that you have to snip to move the connection into place. The car feels like an extension of my body now compared to how it lagged and dragged before. Now I just need to upgrade my brakes so that my braking is as responsive as my acceleration. Keeping it 8/10 because it could be smoother in relation to shifts, but this isn’t a custom map and it’s basically ots hardware that is made to fit into Subaru pedal.

Last edited by Subie574; 05-25-2019 at 05:08 PM.
Subie574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links