Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Car Part Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-31-2019, 10:44 AM   #1
kingsalami
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (9)

Member#: 206257
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2009 WRX 5-door
White

Default Superpro Rear Trailing Arm Bushings Install & Review

Superpro Rear Trailing Arm Bushings Install & Review
Part# SPF3097K & SPF3098K

The biggest PITA was getting the old bushings out. Since I didn’t have access to a shop press, I used the drill method and a recip saw to remove the stock bushing and pressed-in steel sleeve (see links below).

I used these for guidance:
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2000683

https://motoiq.com/project-va-wrx-up...rpro-part-1/3/

You’ll need:
19mm and 17mm socket, ratchet, box end wrench
DIY bushing press (see 1st link near bottom of page)
Drill & drill bit
Vise grips or channel lock pliers
Recip saw or hacksaw with fine metal cutting blade
Big hammer and steel chisel
Steel brush, rag, and solvent
Vise

- Jack the car and place jackstands
- Remove both trailing arms
- Clamp the trailing arm in a vice
- Drill out the rubber between the steel sleeve and the steel insert in the stock bushing
- Grab the steel insert with channel locks or vice grips and rip it out
- Use a recip saw or hacksaw to cut through the pressed-in steel sleeve in the trailing arm…but be careful to avoid cutting into the arm itself. I made 2 cuts about an inch apart.
- Use a small sledgehammer and a burly chisel to bend up the cut edges of the pressed-in steel sleeve. Keep bending the tab you made back until the steel insert pops out of the trailing arm.
- Clean the inside of the trailing arm eyelet with a steel brush, a rag, and solvent.
- Grease the 1-piece bushing and use a DIY bushing press (made out of a threaded stud, a couple nuts, and a couple washers) to press it into the trailing arm eyelet. Lube up steel sleeve and slide it into the bushing.

Now you’re done with the trailing arm.

- Use the same process on the trailing arm lower mount in the rear hub – drill, rip out insert, cut steel sleeve, clean bushing eyelet
- Grease the 2-piece bushing and insert the bushing halves into the lower mount in the hub. Lube up steel sleeve and slide it into the bushing.
- Reinstall trailing arms. I usually apply final torque with the weight of the car on the wheels to prevent suspension binding.

An alignment is probably a good idea. Since I replaced the rear toe links at the same time, my rear toe was WAY off. Excessive toe destroys tires very quickly. The drive to the alignment shop was SPOOKY – the ass end was swerving all over the road.

Installed on a 2009 WRX with:
245/40-19 Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 2 tires
2011 STI springs
Koni shocks
22/22 sway bars
2015 STI steering rack & Perrin steering damper lockout
SPT rear lower control arms
Rallitek adjustable rear endlinks
Rallitek adjustable rear toe arms

Bushings:
Front control arm rear bushing (ALK)
Steering rack
Rear subframe & differential
Rear trailing arm (front and rear)

Impression:
Before I installed these, I could feel a subtle squirm at the back end under cornering loads – I’m pretty sure it was unintended toe changes as the stock bushings flexed under load.
I installed these bushings along with a set of Rallitek adjustable rear toe links, so I’m not sure which mod made the biggest difference. But I can say that this combination made the rear end more direct and responsive during hard cornering. Now I can immediately feel how much grip the rear tires have, and I no longer have to wait for the rear end to squirm and “set” through a corner.
I haven’t noticed any additional NVH, just a more solid feel from the rear wheels - great for a DD car. And highly recommended for road racers and autocrossers.
kingsalami is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links