Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday September 20, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-25-2019, 12:11 PM   #501
livewoutlimit
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 487919
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Lapis Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzagnr View Post
go ahead and do this procedure.
car feels like a different car, let's see how long this is gonna last, i had 3 racks and 1 intermediate shaft replaced in 10k miles.
if this rack is knock free more than 3k miles, it would be a good augury haha
I'm planning on doing this procedure once I finish moving. If anyone is interested in doing this, refer to post #268 on this thread. Whiplash Willy has an extensive post on this & service manual. I'm hoping I can get to the nut w/out having to drop the EPS.
livewoutlimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2019, 02:08 PM   #502
blackseafleet
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 463024
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
DGM

Just to rule out more items anecdotally on your list: I've replaced pitch stop, engine mounts, brake pads, no change in my 2017 clunk. that said, 41,000 miles on the car and the clunk has stayed consistent, never getting worse at all. It doesn't bother me much and I regularly drive on very twisty roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adafoo View Post
Suspects I have not touched:
- Brake calipers or pads
- CV axels
- Suspension/control arm bushings
- Engine mounts
- Pitch stop mount
blackseafleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:27 AM   #503
livewoutlimit
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Lapis Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewoutlimit View Post
I'm planning on doing this procedure once I finish moving. If anyone is interested in doing this, refer to post #268 on this thread. Whiplash Willy has an extensive post on this & service manual. I'm hoping I can get to the nut w/out having to drop the EPS.
It looks like you have to drop the rack to do this procedure (adjusting steering lash essentially). I'll be bringing the car back to the dealer soon enough as noise is getting more pronounced with the temps dropping.

Whether this will fix the clunk or not, I think the car needs this procedure done. My WRX tracks all over the place when there's an uneven camber, or crowning on the road. The steering wheel, if I'm not holding it firmly, will literally spin itself at some roads with very uneven surface.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:52 AM   #504
Btec
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 494590

Quote:
It looks like you have to drop the rack to do this procedure (adjusting steering lash essentially). I'll be bringing the car back to the dealer soon enough as noise is getting more pronounced with the temps dropping.

Whether this will fix the clunk or not, I think the car needs this procedure done. My WRX tracks all over the place when there's an uneven camber, or crowning on the road. The steering wheel, if I'm not holding it firmly, will literally spin itself at some roads with very uneven surface.
Yes, my 2018 does the exact same thing. Do you think the dealership will help fix/adjust the steering lash? I have my rack replaced a few months ago and it was good for a solid few weeks before the issue/sound came back...
Btec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:52 PM   #505
livewoutlimit
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Lapis Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btec View Post
Yes, my 2018 does the exact same thing. Do you think the dealership will help fix/adjust the steering lash? I have my rack replaced a few months ago and it was good for a solid few weeks before the issue/sound came back...
Not sure. I'll need to work on wording my issue so that it points to getting the steering adjusted. I'm planning on going to the dealer once temps drop further. Ugh, I do hate morning commute right now as temps are in the low 60's & clunk/thunk is getting more & more pronounced.

Or, I might just try dropping the rack & going thru the recommended procedure myself. Probably will take me the entire weekend.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:34 PM   #506
Btec
Scooby Newbie

I recall a member in this thread that mentioned that the 2020 models will have this issue fixed or something along those lines. Can anyone confirm or have any inside knowledge of this to share?
Old 10-07-2019, 03:51 PM   #507
livewoutlimit
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Lapis Blue Pearl

Quote:
I recall a member in this thread that mentioned that the 2020 models will have this issue fixed or something along those lines. Can anyone confirm or have any inside knowledge of this to share?
I recall reading that too somewhere, but who knows how reliable the source was... I'm waiting to see the 2020 parts list, hoping to see new part # for the rack or other suspect components. I'm getting close to bringing the car back to the dealer. I'm also getting close to either filing for lemon law or trading the car in.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:55 PM   #508
Btec
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
I recall reading that too somewhere, but who knows how reliable the source was... I'm waiting to see the 2020 parts list, hoping to see new part # for the rack or other suspect components. I'm getting close to bringing the car back to the dealer. I'm also getting close to either filing for lemon law or trading the car in.
That is a great point about seeing the 2020 parts list. Do you know when this will be coming out? Thanks
Old 10-21-2019, 09:45 PM   #509
livewoutlimit
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Lapis Blue Pearl

Quote:
That is a great point about seeing the 2020 parts list. Do you know when this will be coming out? Thanks
I've been checking Subaru's parts page time to time.

Sad ending--- I've sold the car, but mostly due to my left hip injury & it's become difficult to operate the clutch pedal. I was hoping to find a solution for this issue... oh well.

You can bet it wasn't another Subaru that I replaced it with.

Good luck to everyone & I hope there's a fix soon!
Old 11-29-2019, 05:58 PM   #510
Btec
Scooby Newbie

I am unable to find the 2020 parts list to see if the 2020 WRX has an updated part number for the electric steering rack.

Does anyone have any updated information on this or heard from a source working at Subaru?

Thanks
Old 12-25-2019, 07:25 AM   #511
bueckerjl
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 475518
Default Parts List

Hereís a confusing 2020 parts list.

I havenít dug into it much but I think for the struts the 400 and 410 part numbers are updated for the inverted dampers.

https://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2020_WRX-20L-6MT-Premium/_54106_6464193/FRONT-SHOCK-ABSORBER-INVERTED-DAMPER/V10-210-01.html

I donít see an update on the EPS.
bueckerjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:23 PM   #512
2017WRXman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 507345

Any updates?
2017WRXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:40 PM   #513
ManPower
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 485330
Vehicle:
2020 WRX
WR Blue Pearl

You guys are worrying too much about it.

If you have the car sitting, while it is on, and jerk the steering wheel clockwise and counter-clockwise, you should hear a clunking noise.

This is normal.

A remedy that used to be completed by the dealer was to replace the electric steering rack. Since it's electric, you can't replace anything on it except the whole unit. But many people would replace the rack to have the noise come back.

The sound is normal. You don't need to do anything about it.
My rack was replaced at around 10-15K miles. A week or two after it was replaced, the noise came back. They warned that if I replaced the rack a 2nd time, it could cause the noise to worsen. So I listened and took it for a second opinion.

I had a different dealership tech locate where the front suspension clunking noise is coming. This is from where the steering shaft connects to the rubber/plastic area with the bearing/plate that connects to the rack. It's not broken, all 2015-2020 WRX's have this noise. If you were to fully tighten this unit, you would have vibration in the steering wheel.

I now have 36-40K miles and the noise from my front end clunking is not causing any damage to the car or causing the car to behave unsafely when maneuvering in any way.

Now, if you notice your car veering when it goes over road imperfections and causing you to need to correct your steering, then something is wrong.

Otherwise, just deal with it. It's just a noise.
ManPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 04:32 PM   #514
2017WRXman
Scooby Newbie

I confirm this is NOT normal.

I had the TSB for the steering rack spring installed, helped for a few weeks.
I had my front struts replaced.
Replaced steering rack and now the noise has gone.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:57 PM   #515
whiplash willy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 424843
Vehicle:
2016 WRX Limited 6MT
ISM

I have been dealing with the steering clunk and the suspension clunk since new. After close to 4 years and 43k miles, neither have gotten any worse, or caused any issues other then an annoying noise. I will just continue to deal until something is noticeably broken, then fix it. Subarus are loud and make abnormal noises, it is just part of the ownership. I have yet to hear of anyone of had any part replaced (suspension or steering related) and had the issue go away, without coming back shortly. My neighbors 2018 makes all the same weird noises as mine does. I would say leave it be unless it is getting worse. Personally, I have stopped caring about it long ago...
whiplash willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:48 PM   #516
2017WRXman
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash willy View Post
I have been dealing with the steering clunk and the suspension clunk since new. After close to 4 years and 43k miles, neither have gotten any worse, or caused any issues other then an annoying noise. I will just continue to deal until something is noticeably broken, then fix it. Subarus are loud and make abnormal noises, it is just part of the ownership. I have yet to hear of anyone of had any part replaced (suspension or steering related) and had the issue go away, without coming back shortly. My neighbors 2018 makes all the same weird noises as mine does. I would say leave it be unless it is getting worse. Personally, I have stopped caring about it long ago...
Don't accept lower standards. They know of an issue hence the TSB. There more of us stand up for ourselves the more the quality standards must improve for the brand.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:32 PM   #517
whiplash willy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX Limited 6MT
ISM

They perform the TSB, replace 1 thing, and break 3 things. The issue either goes away, or only goes away for a few weeks. Have you ever inspected work done on your car after a dealership has molested it? I have, and it ain't pretty.

If you know of anyone who has been able to fix either of these issues, and kept it away for more then a couple months, please let us know. This thread is over 4 years old, and has more the 500 posts, and of the countless people who have replaced just about every part, nobody has come up with a permanent solution, other then selling the car.... Maybe it is just a design flaw, that Subaru doesn't care to fix, you know, like the Throw Out Bearing issues that haven't been resolved since 2008. Its annoying, but as long as there isn't a mechanical fault, I think it is best to just live with it, rather then throwing parts, time and money at an issue that will never go away.

I have followed this thread since the beginning, tried several "fixes", made several posts, and talked to many people. Nothing has changed. Messing with the issue will just be worse. A phrase I learned in my VW days "Drive More, Worry Less..." I think applies to this issue.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:43 PM   #518
whiplash willy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX Limited 6MT
ISM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017WRXman View Post
I confirm this is NOT normal.

I had the TSB for the steering rack spring installed, helped for a few weeks.
I had my front struts replaced.
Replaced steering rack and now the noise has gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017WRXman View Post
Don't accept lower standards. They know of an issue hence the TSB. There more of us stand up for ourselves the more the quality standards must improve for the brand.
Also, please let us know 6 months from now if the noise has come back or not. I would be shocked if it hasn't.

The thing is, putting your car up on a lift, and revealing the front suspension of weight for some time seems to temporary make the noise go away for a short period of time. Just like how your clutch pedal squeaks if you haven't driven it for several days. That is why I believe everyone who has had the dealership throw parts at their car to try and fix the issue has had the noise go away for a short period of time, and come back later
Old 01-25-2021, 07:06 PM   #519
thickasabrick
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 521923
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
Boy Racer Blue

Hello everyone. New member and relatively new WRX owner here. I guess it's time to resurrect this thread

I really just want to ask whether anyone has removed the EPS motor from one of our 2015+ electric racks. Any shredded bushings visible?

It seems that some FR-S/ BRZ owners have a suspiciously similar noise and feeling that happens under similar situations. For their case, it is caused by a disintegrated bushing where the EPS motor connects to the steering column.
Here's a link to the fix: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show....php?p=3196742

Our EPS motors are mounted on the rack itself but I'm wondering if there's a similar bushing failure in our case. Any thoughts? Seems like the spring and lash adjustment TSB have been debunked across the board.
thickasabrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:00 PM   #520
fullah
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 233053

My car is at 12k miles and I've heard the clunking when wiggling the steering wheel side to side since practically brand new 10 miles on the odometer. Recently the clunking has been coming and going. There are days where the clunking isn't there--and it worries me more than hearing the clunking hahah. Definitely sounds like it's right where the steering damper connects to the rack or internally in the rack right after that connection. I was going to do the rack spring myself but it seemed like hit or miss results on the forums.

At first I thought my strut mounts were bad but I swapped them out with white line offset ones and the clunking is still there so obviously not the cause.

Has anyone been able to do the steering rack lash adjustment themselves? Doesn't seem complicated but my understanding is a special tool is required, unless someone has a hack.
fullah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 03:49 PM   #521
tooler
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 518476

Thread bump

Did anyone ever have steering wheel vibration associated with this issue? I woke up today to the steering clunk when moving the wheel back and forth, plus I hear a rattle at slow speeds. So that sounds like what everyone's going through.

But I also get a pretty bad steering shake that comes and goes at highway speeds. I can make it go away by steering to the left slightly, or sometimes it will go away by itself before returning a minute later.

I had just gone to a track day, but I didn't notice any of these problems on the highway trip home. They popped up the next morning.
tooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 03:49 PM   #522
tooler
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 518476

Thread bump

Did anyone ever have steering wheel vibration associated with this issue? I woke up today to the steering clunk when moving the wheel back and forth, plus I hear a rattle at slow speeds. So that sounds like what everyone's going through.

But I also get a pretty bad steering shake that comes and goes at highway speeds. I can make it go away by steering to the left slightly, or sometimes it will go away by itself before returning a minute later.

I had just gone to a track day, but I didn't notice any of these problems on the highway trip home. They popped up the next morning.
tooler is offline   Reply With Quote