Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday September 24, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > FB Series Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-08-2017, 11:40 AM   #1
Bbirgen
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 464794
Vehicle:
2006 Wrx Wagon
Silver/Green

Default FB series engine problems and reliability vs EJ203 or EJ253?

Been looking into swapping a newer NA engine into an older Outback Sport and have been looking into the newer FB engines but can't find much online. Does anyone have any experience with these? Any problems? Pros/cons? I've read that they can have oil consumption problems and are easier to work on, but that's about it. I'm also considering EJ203 or EJ253, but am looking for the most reliable/durable engine in the long run. Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Bbirgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2017, 07:35 PM   #2
ActionJack-san
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 437177
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Lightbulb

Based upon polls here about 50% off the early FB motors burn too much oil. Supposedly the problems have been ironed out by now but I can't say for sure. To be safe, avoid used Subarus from 2010 until about 2014 or 2015 or so. You can't detect oil consumption until you've already put the ring on the finger and said, "I Do".

If thinking of a new Subaru, you'd be well advised to stay away from first-year models. Which means no new 2017 regular Impreza. Subaru is not Toyota and they don't have the sheer sales volume to finance handling a lot of problems when they come up at once. They tend to kick the can down the road a bit.

Your most reliable car, with the least problems, will be close to the last year of the model run. The WRX will keep its form until 2020 or so, so you might want to go that route.

The motor itself is nice, I have had no issues across 21,000+ miles so far. A timing chain vs. a timing belt is a huge plus, no expensive timing belt change operations every 60,000 miles or so. The newer Subarus use Super-Long Life Coolant, so no need to flush it until after 100,000 miles. The CVT fluid apparently stays in there for the life of the unit, unless a dealer tech notices issues which necessitate changing it, due to hard driving or towing.

Other than that, that's about all there is to say about it. YMMV. Good luck!
ActionJack-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:39 AM   #3
JordanOfGilead
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 446722
Vehicle:
2016 Impreza 2.0i
Dark Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJack-san View Post

Your most reliable car, with the least problems, will be close to the last year of the model run. The WRX will keep its form until 2020 or so, so you might want to go that route.
My '16 Impreza hatch base has less than 15k miles on it and just burned a quart of oil in less than 3,000 miles. They still haven't worked out the bugs with the FB20.
JordanOfGilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:46 PM   #4
GBMaryland
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 430820

Our FB25in the Legacy is on engine number THREE!

First one (factory)burned a QT every 1100-1200 miles, got worse over time.

Second one, was burning coolant... aka they screwed up the job and rather than taking off the heads and figuring out which ine was hosed, they argued with us until the shortblockmneeded to be replaced.

However, in classic Monthy Python manner, the third one stayed...

The current one seems to not burn oil, or coolant. Lets hope they didnt SNAFU anything else!
GBMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote