Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday November 17, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-08-2017, 12:03 PM   #76
TJ_Madden
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 456296
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
Ice Silver

I have Cobb Big SF, I had brand new spark plugs with my knock issues.
TJ_Madden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2017, 12:15 PM   #77
Eatsleepturbo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 468983

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_Madden View Post
I have Cobb Big SF, I had brand new spark plugs with my knock issues.
well, as I said before, I will get the valves cleaned next week and if the problem is not solved I will drive the 1.5 hours i need to drive to get some 94 and see if there is any differences... I will keep you updated guys
Eatsleepturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:16 PM   #78
fredrik94087
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 337075
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX 6mt stg2+
Snail Tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatsleepturbo View Post
well, as I said before, I will get the valves cleaned next week and if the problem is not solved I will drive the 1.5 hours i need to drive to get some 94 and see if there is any differences... I will keep you updated guys
A 32oz of Torco will be enough...you don't have to drive 1.5 hours. Just order it online.

It does work and it is different than what you will find at your neighborhood auto parts store. And, it won't harm your cats nor O2 sensors.
fredrik94087 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:16 PM   #79
Eatsleepturbo
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrik94087 View Post
A 32oz of Torco will be enough...you don't have to drive 1.5 hours. Just order it online.

It does work and it is different than what you will find at your neighborhood auto parts store. And, it won't harm your cats nor O2 sensors.

well I have read that it has some side effects. It leaves a deposits on the sparks plugs. Some red stuff.

You might be righ and trying this once shouln't be a problem, but I have a few other things to do around so, 1.5h isn't the end of the word...

The problem is that if it works (94), I dont know what i can do since the guy in the topic has the same problem; with a pro-tune...
Old 06-08-2017, 05:01 PM   #80
TJ_Madden
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX
Ice Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrik94087 View Post

Yup, my tuner also recommended torco. I have 93 Shell VPower where I live so 4oz of torco per a full tank of gas does the trick.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:23 AM   #81
Eatsleepturbo
Scooby Newbie

So, as promisses I got my valves cleaned. As I got the car back, I did a quick ride and the DAM came back to 1... I tought that the problem was solved. But as you probably thought, the next day, when I was driving back from work, it quickly crashed to 0.250. I guess it did not solved the problem... I will get that tank of 94 soon. If it makes any differences, I will contact a protunner...
Old 06-19-2017, 08:39 AM   #82
Eatsleepturbo
Scooby Newbie

So quick update guys, on Friday I drove to get a tank of 94. When I arrived at the station I had a bit less than ¼ of the tank left. I filled up with 94 and drove back home. After about 5 km my DAM was back to 1. I drove for about 50 km then I stopped. It was still at 1 but it moved a bit during the ride. Then for the rest of the weak end I did about 200 km, my DAM did not move! And it was a hot weak end! About 35 degree and a lot of humidity. I guess I need to find a tuner so I get a protune that can run on 91 Québec gaz. I don’t want to drive 1 hour every time I need to get some gaz ! lol

I guess CharlieRotten has a similar problem…

edit : my friend has the same problem with a few other mods. He is at the tunner to day. Its a good shop and they can't tune the car with the gaz he has. They will empty the tank and retry with some 94.... it dosent make any sense !

Last edited by Eatsleepturbo; 06-19-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:12 PM   #83
freakshow999
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 471651
Vehicle:
2015 Forester XT
Quartz Blue Pearl

My Stage 2 Protune is/was having very similar problems. My Stage 1 was rock solid same tuner.

I'd following @spitman1 's approach to MAF tuning. I've been reading a lot the past couple of days regarding the FA20DIT tuning strategies as. Watching my gauges on my AP it really looked like a load related AF issue.
I had been doing a lot of data logging but was doing my calculating all wrong.

I ended up on an opensource tuning forum and they were discussing/diagnosing/developing tuning strategies regarding weird knock issues certain load ranges usually at cruising speed and under low calculated load. This includes accelerator position switches in MAF correction say between 15% and 20% throttle. Where the AF correction was out of whack at 15% but 0.00 at 20%.

It all starts with getting your MAF Scaling within 2-4% across the entire voltage range.
freakshow999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:45 AM   #84
CharlieRotten
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 449073
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
Black

Here's a little update for those who may be still having issues.

Since my last post, I have been driving the car at 3500 ish rpm most of the time. My MPG's have dropped significantly but, my DAM has stayed around 1 or .816+ most of the time. I still get fbk and fkl showing as much as -4.8 but mostly stay around -2.81.

My biggest curiosity at this point is why some people with the exact same mods as me do not have any issue at all, and others have similar issues.

It also boggles my mind how the guy who tuned my car insists that its heat related and that a FMIC, header, and e85 is going to fix it when the issue happens whether my intake temps are 150f or 60f.

I did show a massive DAM drop trying to climb up a very large mountain road last week and it didnt seem like my rpm really mattered much during that drive.

So that points me toward calculated load readings.

Anyone know of a tuner in Colorado with more FA20 tuning knowledge than my last tuner that would be feeling charitable? lol
CharlieRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:53 AM   #85
TJ_Madden
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX
Ice Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieRotten View Post
Here's a little update for those who may be still having issues.

Since my last post, I have been driving the car at 3500 ish rpm most of the time. My MPG's have dropped significantly but, my DAM has stayed around 1 or .816+ most of the time. I still get fbk and fkl showing as much as -4.8 but mostly stay around -2.81.

My biggest curiosity at this point is why some people with the exact same mods as me do not have any issue at all, and others have similar issues.

It also boggles my mind how the guy who tuned my car insists that its heat related and that a FMIC, header, and e85 is going to fix it when the issue happens whether my intake temps are 150f or 60f.

I did show a massive DAM drop trying to climb up a very large mountain road last week and it didnt seem like my rpm really mattered much during that drive.

So that points me toward calculated load readings.

Anyone know of a tuner in Colorado with more FA20 tuning knowledge than my last tuner that would be feeling charitable? lol

Hey Charlie,

Bren Tuning & I may have had a break through with the issues we have been having. My car through a CEL P0332 for a knock sensor 2 low input. This was their first time really diagnosing this code on the 2015+ WRX. Bren said they have a handful of cars with knock issues like ours they really couldn't resolve. However, now we are thinking The faulty knock 2 sensor could be the culprit. Since the change my car is running perfectly without octane booster.