Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday March 1, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-03-2021, 08:12 PM   #1
Hitokiri_Gensai
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 147370
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
1994 TommyKaira M20t
Dark Green Pearl

Default Not an Impreza, but still cool: Tommy Kaira M20tb

So a few years ago after having 6 or 7 modified Subarus i decided to jump off the Subie wagon, but just recently decided to jump back into one!

Well. Sort of one.

Welcome to my 1994 Tommy Kaira M20tb!
This car like all Tommy Kaira cars were largely custom built cars. "Complete package" cars like this came with modified suspension, interior, exterior and engine retune.

So this car started life as a Subaru Legacy GT Touring Wagon before having a complete rework by Tommy Kaira. The exterior got the full treatment with custom front and rear bumpers, side skirts and hatch spoiler all stamped with the Tommy Kaira signature plate.

The interior got the same treatment with a auxiliary gauge pack above the center console, Tommy Kaira branded gauge cluster, Tommy Kaira floormats and a Tommy Kaira branded steering wheel. Manual transmission models would have recieved a Tommy Kaira shift knob with the famous Tommy Kaira Turtle imprinted in it as well. My particular car also has a very rare option for the interior, Tommy Kaira branded Recaro sport seats. Even complete package cars has to specially option this.

Suspension would be upgraded to TK specced struts and springs and special Tommy Kaira 2 piece wheels were standard.

Now this car is an automatic although i dont intend to keep it that way (spec B 6 speed anyone??). As well the wheels which are apparently rare and JDM (Tecnocast TC202) will be swapped out for some STi Version 7 wheels (already on the way!).

Overall, i dont intend to stray too far from the intended look and function of the car as im a huge fan of Tommy Kaira cars but i will mod what i feel needs to be done to fit the car to myself!

Better pictures will follow as well as general build stuff as this gets underway!!

Last edited by Hitokiri_Gensai; 02-03-2021 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Having major issues displaying pictures.
Hitokiri_Gensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2021, 12:18 AM   #2
Fuji Gold
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 357234
Vehicle:
03 WRX
SRP

was this the one for sale recently in New Hampshire? absolutely love these, I almost bought one myself early last year.
Fuji Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:39 AM   #3
Hitokiri_Gensai
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1994 TommyKaira M20t
Dark Green Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuji Gold View Post
was this the one for sale recently in New Hampshire? absolutely love these, I almost bought one myself early last year.
It is indeed! I couldnt pass it up! Im a MASSIVE Tommy Kaira fan and i figured the "halo" cars like the Tommy Kaira R (Skyline GTR) would forever be outside of my price range and im also a massive fan of fast wagons so it had to be mine haha
Old 02-04-2021, 12:53 AM   #4
Fuji Gold
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
03 WRX
SRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitokiri_Gensai View Post
It is indeed! I couldnt pass it up! Im a MASSIVE Tommy Kaira fan and i figured the "halo" cars like the Tommy Kaira R (Skyline GTR) would forever be outside of my price range and im also a massive fan of fast wagons so it had to be mine haha
tommy kaira stuff is beautiful. the bugeye front bumper is one of my favorite GD chassis parts ever made.
i passed because my dream wagon for winter/utility purposes is a wgc34 stagea and i didnt want to push myself away from that, but as those become legal they may skyrocket out of my price range (for what i want it for) so i may grow back a desire for twin turbo BG5 legacys again.
stoked to see this is in new england.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:02 AM   #5
Hitokiri_Gensai
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1994 TommyKaira M20t
Dark Green Pearl

Quote:
tommy kaira stuff is beautiful. the bugeye front bumper is one of my favorite GD chassis parts ever made.
i passed because my dream wagon for winter/utility purposes is a wgc34 stagea and i didnt want to push myself away from that, but as those become legal they may skyrocket out of my price range (for what i want it for) so i may grow back a desire for twin turbo BG5 legacys again.
stoked to see this is in new england.
Im a big fan of the Stagea, especially the Autech 260RS, so i feel that but im sure theyre going to go up in price. The first model year cars will be legal this year as well.

That said there is another TK wagon for sale in NYC. Its got the original wheels and stuff but the front end is visibly a different silver to the rest of the body and overall it seemed slightly rougher than my green wagon. It also didnt have the TK branded Recaros which are a rare option because they werent included in the complete package and had to be specially optioned during the build
Old 02-04-2021, 01:19 AM   #6
Fuji Gold
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
03 WRX
SRP

Quote:
Im a big fan of the Stagea, especially the Autech 260RS, so i feel that but im sure theyre going to go up in price. The first model year cars will be legal this year as well.

That said there is another TK wagon for sale in NYC. Its got the original wheels and stuff but the front end is visibly a different silver to the rest of the body and overall it seemed slightly rougher than my green wagon. It also didnt have the TK branded Recaros which are a rare option because they werent included in the complete package and had to be specially optioned during the build
thats actually the exact one i had considered buying. when they sent me more photos i noticed all those things (i really wanted the recaros and dont like silver cars), and yet it was still 12k at the time. that was 10 months ago, and the same place is still selling it, so not to say theres anything wrong with it as it is a niche vehicle, but just kinda odd.

id love the Autech as a 'real car' but for the role it would play in my life id be happy with just a manual and rb25. same way i adore the TK BG Legacy but would probably buy just a base twin turbo GT.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:24 AM   #7
Hitokiri_Gensai
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1994 TommyKaira M20t
Dark Green Pearl

Quote:
thats actually the exact one i had considered buying. when they sent me more photos i noticed all those things (i really wanted the recaros and dont like silver cars), and yet it was still 12k at the time. that was 10 months ago, and the same place is still selling it, so not to say theres anything wrong with it as it is a niche vehicle, but just kinda odd.

id love the Autech as a 'real car' but for the role it would play in my life id be happy with just a manual and rb25. same way i adore the TK BG Legacy but would probably buy just a base twin turbo GT.
The recaros are a relatively rare option because they werent included in the complete package builds, they were an additional cost and had to be specially optioned so theyre hard to find.

I have an R32 GTSt as a summer car as well
Old 02-04-2021, 01:35 AM   #8
Fuji Gold
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
03 WRX
SRP

Quote:
The recaros are a relatively rare option because they werent included in the complete package builds, they were an additional cost and had to be specially optioned so theyre hard to find.

I have an R32 GTSt as a summer car as well
yeah i learned a lot about them when considering buying one and learned they werent all standard like id thought, but definitely a must have if youre buying one, in my opinion.

thats a great pairing, hope to catch one of em on the streets of new england when things are green again.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:45 AM   #9
Hitokiri_Gensai
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1994 TommyKaira M20t
Dark Green Pearl

Quote:
yeah i learned a lot about them when considering buying one and learned they werent all standard like id thought, but definitely a must have if youre buying one, in my opinion.

thats a great pairing, hope to catch one of em on the streets of new england when things are green again.

Well the cars were really custom jobs, built one at a time by hand. My particular car is the 11th M20tb built in 1994.

Actually, the carbon fibre gauge pod on the dash and the triple gauge pack was a 88,000 option in 1994. Thats about 850 US in todays exchange rates. The Sports Seats listed as "Drivers Seat" and "Navigators Seat" were 182,000 each. Thats 1730 a piece in todays money, and about a grand each in 1994

Im sure you will at sone point, my in laws are from Rhode Island

Last edited by Hitokiri_Gensai; 02-04-2021 at 02:15 AM.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:46 PM   #10
Hitokiri_Gensai
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1994 TommyKaira M20t
Dark Green Pearl

Some of the badging on the aero

Old 02-04-2021, 07:49 PM   #11
Scooby South
Subtly Outspoken

Member#: 238
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
OG05 STi
51E

Cool find. I have a Friend that bought a Leggy Right drive Mail Wagon.. and is working on putting a sequential turbo Drive train in.. along with Chargespeed Body kit.
Hes about 25% done... be cool if he actaully finishes it..
Nice Wagon...Any plans on the Engine side of things??

Bill
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:45 PM   #12
Hitokiri_Gensai
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1994 TommyKaira M20t
Dark Green Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby South View Post
Cool find. I have a Friend that bought a Leggy Right drive Mail Wagon.. and is working on putting a sequential turbo Drive train in.. along with Chargespeed Body kit.
Hes about 25% done... be cool if he actaully finishes it..
Nice Wagon...Any plans on the Engine side of things??

Bill
Well thats a tough one, the cars rarity tells me to keep the Twin Turbo set up in place, especially since it was retuned by Tommy Kaira when the car was completed but the rest of me says to ditch it while i can and throw on a Version I or Version II STi turbo set up and make some real power and bump up the reliability.

The Twin Turbos have a very specific issue known as the Valley Of Death, or VOD. Its the changeover point where the secondary turbo is given some exhaust flow to allow it to prespool. The issue is, its an old system and isnt very smooth as well as a gear change around 4000 rpm results in no boost at all and the car can fall on its face. Im told using a ZeroSports Sequential Controller can really help smooth things over but never truly eliminate the issue so.

They also have an issue with the many MANY vacuum hoses that criss-cross the enginr bay allowing this overly complicated system to function, a tiny split or a broken hose and the whole system can just fail.

So its a battle with the idea of having something very cool and unique but flawed or having a good functioning system thats been done to death.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:57 AM   #13
Patrick Olsen
Scooby Guru

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
1996 Impreza coupe

Lots of talk about the special seats, but no pics of them! C'mon, man!

Regarding the engine, if you have the space/resources, maybe pull the original engine and tuck it away for safekeeping (so you can restore the car to its original condition if necessary at some later date), and then put something else in there?
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 11:38 AM   #14
Hitokiri_Gensai
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1994 TommyKaira M20t
Dark Green Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
Lots of talk about the special seats, but no pics of them! C'mon, man!

Regarding the engine, if you have the space/resources, maybe pull the original engine and tuck it away for safekeeping (so you can restore the car to its original condition if necessary at some later date), and then put something else in there?
The seats are a little rough at the moment, considering the rarity though, i think im going to have them repaired and recovered by Recaro to keep them looking right.

For now i think ill keep the engine as is honestly because it is running perfectly fine and is very smooth and quiet. But that could always change as i either come across other parts or whatever down the road
Old 02-11-2021, 12:11 AM   #15
Hitokiri_Gensai
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1994 TommyKaira M20t
Dark Green Pearl

Took the old girl for her first offcial drive as a registered car (to me that is).

First discovery: the brakes arent spongy but definitely feel a little... lacking for the size and weight of the car. It wasnt a panic brake by any means but it was a solid braking patch and it... mostly slowed down haha.

Solution is sitting in my living room, Brembo four pots from an 04 STi! They were a steal from my work (thank god for employee discounts!) And are brand new rotors and pads with remanned calipers. Should help a lot!

Second discovery: its fast.
My Skyline feels more... immediate, off the line, but in cruise this car pulls hard as soon as you put your foot to the floor. Its so quiet and comfortable it can be almost a little shocking how quickly you can get moving without realizing it. Now with 270hp its certainly not breaking any records but its very interesting how quick it actually feels all things considered.
Old 02-13-2021, 04:44 PM   #16
Hitokiri_Gensai
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1994 TommyKaira M20t
Dark Green Pearl

Few new images of the interior, TK Gauge set, TK Gauge cluster and the TK Steering wheel.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:52 PM   #17
Hitokiri_Gensai
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1994 TommyKaira M20t
Dark Green Pearl

New wheels!! Arrived today direct from UpGarage in Sendai-shi!
Old 02-16-2021, 12:24 AM   #18
Hitokiri_Gensai
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1994 TommyKaira M20t
Dark Green Pearl

Came across this in my searching an FMIC kit from Scarles in New Zealand. Probably the only company currently producing a front mount kit for the Twin Turbo Legacys. The kit looks to be high quality and considering the room beneath the quite large front bumper, it could be a cool addition to the car.

The stock top mount looks to be fine, but i know from experience how quickly they can heat soak in the summer time, especially with two turbos packaged beneath it.

The biggest question im debating is how much do i want to modify this car away from its roots. If it were an OE GT id probably not hesitate but considering the rarity of the car part of me says leave it as is.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:58 PM   #19
Hitokiri_Gensai
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1994 TommyKaira M20t
Dark Green Pearl

New wheels are on!! I think they look great on the car! Seems to make the whole thing pop a little more!
Old 02-22-2021, 09:41 PM   #20
ASpilot
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 521741
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
WR Blue

those V7 wheels are so perfect for this car! Love it!
ASpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:07 PM   #21
Hitokiri_Gensai
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1994 TommyKaira M20t
Dark Green Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASpilot View Post
those V7 wheels are so perfect for this car! Love it!
Thanks! I think they look great on the car!
Old 02-23-2021, 10:36 AM   #22
Patrick Olsen
Scooby Guru

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
1996 Impreza coupe

Quote:
New wheels are on!! I think they look great on the car! Seems to make the whole thing pop a little more!
Agreed, they fit the look of the car well, and the color combo is great.
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:00 AM   #23
Hitokiri_Gensai
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1994 TommyKaira M20t
Dark Green Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
Agreed, they fit the look of the car well, and the color combo is great.
Im almost a little suprised how good green and gold looks!
Old 02-23-2021, 11:57 AM   #24
Hitokiri_Gensai
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1994 TommyKaira M20t
Dark Green Pearl

Couple new pics in the sunshine! Excuse how dirty she is. Gotta love winter