Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday March 3, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Proven Power Bragging

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2021, 01:11 AM   #1
TheGreatTillzby
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 457490
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default Dyno Tune: 2.0L with Garrett G25-660 Makes 407whp/370wtq

Event: Dyno Pull

Location: Dyno Pro Techologies / St. Louis, MO

Ambient Temp: ~50 degF.

Elevation: Unknown

Weather: Cold, Dry.

Tires: Michelin, Pilot Sport A/S 4, 235/40/17r

Car: 2004 Impreza WRX

Tuner: Shinji Tuned

Dyno Info: DynoJet

Transmission: 2005 STi Transmission with 3.90lsd (dccd inactive)

Gear: 3rd/4th

Peak HP at RPM: 407whp @ 6400rpm SAE Corrected

Peak Torque at RPM: 370ft/lbs @ 5200rpm SAE Corrected

Baseline hp/tq: 311whp/335wtq as 93 octane VF37 TS Exhaust setup

Target Boost: 24psi

Target AFR: 11.7

Fuel: 93 octane and E85 (rated to E60 at the time)

Engine/Power Modifications: Stock V8 EJ207 internals, Garrett G25-660 .92a/r exh. housing, Full-Race stock location turbo kit (single scroll), Full-Race 2-Bolt ELH (coated), 38mm Tial MVS Wastegate, Invidia N1 Race Cat-Back, fully catless/unresonated, Innovate Flex Fuel Kit, ID1050x Cobb Injectors, AEM 340lph fuel pump, Aeromotive FPR, APS DR725 FMIC, fully functional AVCS, Killer B Oil pickup and oil pan baffle, IAG Competition series AOS.

Driveline Modifications: 2005 STi Transmission with 3.90LSD (currently disabled dccd), Competition 6-puck clutch, stock flywheel, stock drive shaft.

Suspension Modifications: Fortune Auto 500 gen7 coilovers, 24mm swaybars, ALK, Roll-Center Adjustment.

Other Modifications: BBS 17x8 5x114.3, Brembos added, Grey and Black GC8 seats, Nardi Personal wheel, NRG QR, TIC holy shift kit, AFR gauge, ethanol content gauge, oil pressure gauge, boost gauge.

Video Link: https://youtu.be/RlzFad5D5CQ

Dyno Plot VF37 vs. G25-660 .92ar: https://img.nasioc.com/image/U1msI

Picture of Car: https://img.nasioc.com/image/U1tds
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by TheGreatTillzby; 02-18-2021 at 08:13 PM.
TheGreatTillzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 02-17-2021, 01:33 AM   #2
TheGreatTillzby
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 457490
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default

Adding more info as a reply so I don't give the mods any more reason to delete all of that info ^

The car started as a V8 EJ207 that was my daily/weekend autox car. At first Shinji had me tuned at 311whp/335tq on 93oct and the car was awesome; stayed at that power for the better part of 6 months. We then stepped the car up to E85, changing nothing else but the normal fuel related items like fuel pump, injectors, flex kit, and the car seen 335whp/365wtq where it spent it's time at that power for almost 2 years until I was finally convinced that 400whp can be safely achieved with my 90k plus miles motor. I pulled the trigger on having the turbo kit and turbo installed after sitting on the parts for about 5 months and as you all see, the power was made and the power was made effortlessly. There's really so much more left in this turbo in the areas of overall power and spool. You might be thinking 400hp at 90k miles may be late in the motor's game to introduce that much power but if the inevitable happens before a new setup, then it happens. It's not a daily anymore by any means. I'd like to have a 2.1L Outfront Motorsports block installed, with built heads, 272 cams, and a 2.5i intake manifold which is why I opted for the .92ar housing for the extra headroom to grow into. But based on seeing what Speed Academy went through, it seems as if this turbo gets choked up even with a 2.1L so that's all a little undecided.

As for autocross, that ship may have sailed for now because the turbo setup is pretty laggy being a 2.0L and having a .92ar exh housing, so it'll probably be a weekend cruiser/backroad carver for a while which is fine. Until I get a forged 2.1L block, the safest way to run this car at this power is on E85 with 93 octane timing which is what this car's tune is currently like. It's not gutless by any means but there's definitely more torque under the curve to be desired that the 2.1L should aid. Atleast the spool will be helped quite a bit.

I also realize that my dyno plot photo is cutoff, but it is still making just a smidge over 300ftlbs/tq at 8k rpm which is not bad! Thanks for reading if you made it this far!

Last edited by TheGreatTillzby; 02-17-2021 at 02:01 AM.
TheGreatTillzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 08:41 AM   #3
K3rm1tth3fr0g
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 508105
Join Date: Nov 2019
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon VF39
Midnight Black Pearl

Default

Very nice setup.

I love seeing 207s still kickin' around making over 400WHP.

I almost went with the Full Race stock location G series setup for my 2.1 Stroker but switched instead to a GTX3576 Gen 2 with an IAG 2.5 block to keep it simple and get some more usable torque. Full Race makes tempting products haha

This looks like a super fun setup for the street that should last a decent while.

Nice build!

Last edited by K3rm1tth3fr0g; 02-17-2021 at 08:46 AM.
K3rm1tth3fr0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 02:57 PM   #4
TheGreatTillzby
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 457490
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3rm1tth3fr0g View Post
Very nice setup.

I love seeing 207s still kickin' around making over 400WHP.

I almost went with the Full Race stock location G series setup for my 2.1 Stroker but switched instead to a GTX3576 Gen 2 with an IAG 2.5 block to keep it simple and get some more usable torque. Full Race makes tempting products haha

This looks like a super fun setup for the street that should last a decent while.

Nice build!
Thank you! I checked out your post on the gtx3576r and 2.1 combo and it seems you and I are at the same crossroads. (I mean I obviously see you picked 2.5 route lol). I think I may opt for the 2.1L with my V8 heads just for the sole reason that the 2.1L setup naturally revs to 8k rpm easiest. And it's also the most cost effective route too. If my G25 ends up choking itself and the tune isn't happy once I finally push it, I may have to upgrade to a G30-660 with a 1.01ar hotside which may gain me quite a bit of lag but way more power, which is cool but i'll be wishing I could take care of that larger turbo with a 2.5L. So that's why i'm so torn. Pretty expensive trial and error but that's the game we play lol
TheGreatTillzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:18 PM   #5
K3rm1tth3fr0g
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 508105
Join Date: Nov 2019
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon VF39
Midnight Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatTillzby View Post
Thank you! I checked out your post on the gtx3576r and 2.1 combo and it seems you and I are at the same crossroads. (I mean I obviously see you picked 2.5 route lol). I think I may opt for the 2.1L with my V8 heads just for the sole reason that the 2.1L setup naturally revs to 8k rpm easiest. And it's also the most cost effective route too. If my G25 ends up choking itself and the tune isn't happy once I finally push it, I may have to upgrade to a G30-660 with a 1.01ar hotside which may gain me quite a bit of lag but way more power, which is cool but i'll be wishing I could take care of that larger turbo with a 2.5L. So that's why i'm so torn. Pretty expensive trial and error but that's the game we play lol
Yeah the EJ20 based motors do love to rev...

I'd be very curious to see if the G25 660 would be maxed out on the 2.1 setup you're planning, based on the compressor map I would think it would be right on the edge but I could be wrong.

Gotta love any setup that can go all the way to 8K!
K3rm1tth3fr0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:00 AM   #6
subaru_gc8
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 29292
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County CA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX wagon
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3rm1tth3fr0g View Post
Yeah the EJ20 based motors do love to rev...

I'd be very curious to see if the G25 660 would be maxed out on the 2.1 setup you're planning, based on the compressor map I would think it would be right on the edge but I could be wrong.

Gotta love any setup that can go all the way to 8K!
there is a you tube video of one and it really didn't do very well. So the next video they went up to the g30 660 and made another 80 something
subaru_gc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:04 AM   #7
T-37
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 175624
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Wichita, KS
Vehicle:
0304 WRX WRX
SY WRB

Default

^Speed Academy. I think they changed headers or something too iirc
T-37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:55 AM   #8
Bansheeboy11
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 182415
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
1999 RS
Aspen White

Default

Your numbers look pretty solid, the 550 seems to top out around 420-440 on most 4 cyl motors, 370lb/ft of torque is really good. You have a dyno plot thats not cut off? The 660 housings will make you lose about 1000rpm of spool, but flows about 10lbs more air at the same pressure ratio and turbo speed. So your probably looking at another 80-90hp for that loss in spool and mid range torque, also 450 is about all a stock 207 block will reliably hold i wouldn't push more than that.

For reference these turbos on a K series make about 30-50 more hp, but 50+ less lb/ft of torque, and they spin to 8500-9k or so.
Bansheeboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:51 PM   #9
subaru_gc8
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 29292
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County CA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX wagon
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-37 View Post
^Speed Academy. I think they changed headers or something too iirc
yeah and they put the big 1.01 hotside on... dont know if that was really needed but its a good reference point. I still think the g30 660 is a better match for a 2.0 high rev engine
subaru_gc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:40 AM   #10
TheGreatTillzby
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 457490
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bansheeboy11 View Post
Your numbers look pretty solid, the 550 seems to top out around 420-440 on most 4 cyl motors, 370lb/ft of torque is really good. You have a dyno plot thats not cut off? The 660 housings will make you lose about 1000rpm of spool, but flows about 10lbs more air at the same pressure ratio and turbo speed. So your probably looking at another 80-90hp for that loss in spool and mid range torque, also 450 is about all a stock 207 block will reliably hold i wouldn't push more than that.

For reference these turbos on a K series make about 30-50 more hp, but 50+ less lb/ft of torque, and they spin to 8500-9k or so.
Yeah my tuner said the same thing about 450 being about the top safe horsepower on these motors. To me it was a total "could does not mean should" dilemma but man do I want more horsepower. The spool can be made up with more displacement which is the new goal and also a forged motor to really run some aggressive timing. And i'll post a picture of my dyno plot one of these days! It's just sitting in my glovebox for proof of horsepower in person lol
TheGreatTillzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:52 AM   #11
TheGreatTillzby
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 457490
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru_gc8 View Post
yeah and they put the big 1.01 hotside on... dont know if that was really needed but its a good reference point. I still think the g30 660 is a better match for a 2.0 high rev engine
Once i'm 2.1L and it's all re-tuned, hopefully theres a positive difference between my car on E85 and them using pump 93 with octane booster. The results seemed pretty underwhelming on the g25 frame for the Speed Academy boys. So underwhelming that I bought a g30-660 with a 1.01ar like they did but was told that i'd have to modify my full race kit to make it work or cut into my darn block and so i returned it all and got my g25 back. I can tell you I wouldn't have appreciated the spool characteristics of the g30 on an autocross course and they were already dissing the spool characteristics of the g25 on track. Puzzles me what their end goal was with the abandoned sti and thats probably why there's no more content on it lol. Measure twice, cut once. Subies are expensive.
TheGreatTillzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:51 AM   #12
K3rm1tth3fr0g
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 508105
Join Date: Nov 2019
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon VF39
Midnight Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatTillzby View Post
Once i'm 2.1L and it's all re-tuned, hopefully theres a positive difference between my car on E85 and them using pump 93 with octane booster. The results seemed pretty underwhelming on the g25 frame for the Speed Academy boys. So underwhelming that I bought a g30-660 with a 1.01ar like they did but was told that i'd have to modify my full race kit to make it work or cut into my darn block and so i returned it all and got my g25 back. I can tell you I wouldn't have appreciated the spool characteristics of the g30 on an autocross course and they were already dissing the spool characteristics of the g25 on track. Puzzles me what their end goal was with the abandoned sti and thats probably why there's no more content on it lol. Measure twice, cut once. Subies are expensive.

Shaving the block and partially tranny is a very very common and non harmful practice used for the Spoolinator, Full Race kits, and larger FP turbos and more just FYI.
K3rm1tth3fr0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:55 AM   #13
subaru_gc8
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 29292
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County CA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX wagon
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatTillzby View Post
Once i'm 2.1L and it's all re-tuned, hopefully theres a positive difference between my car on E85 and them using pump 93 with octane booster. The results seemed pretty underwhelming on the g25 frame for the Speed Academy boys. So underwhelming that I bought a g30-660 with a 1.01ar like they did but was told that i'd have to modify my full race kit to make it work or cut into my darn block and so i returned it all and got my g25 back. I can tell you I wouldn't have appreciated the spool characteristics of the g30 on an autocross course and they were already dissing the spool characteristics of the g25 on track. Puzzles me what their end goal was with the abandoned sti and thats probably why there's no more content on it lol. Measure twice, cut once. Subies are expensive.
well I think they said that they wanted to turbo to make power all they way to 8000 but the g25 would fall off pretty bad after the 7500 mark. if you look at the dynos of the g25 on subarus they seem not to make power past that point even if you get the .92 ar which is pretty big, I think honestly its just like the gtx where the 28 don't do well up to on the subarus but they gtx30 seem to be the way to go. what i have found out is that even on my 2.1 with v9 heads with a spoolinator 3067 my car really doesn't make power til about 4000ish but it doesn't make power from that point all the way to 8000 so yeah .
it might be a little different on a 2.0 than a 2.5 and alot has to do with what you are looking for.

im my opinion the problem with autocross isnt where the turbo kicks in its the gearing of the trans. that's the problem. If anything you should try to find a v7 jdm trans that has the lowest gear ratio of all the 6speeds if you are going to do autocross. that will keep you in the zone longer than the other trans will.
subaru_gc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:14 AM   #14
TheGreatTillzby
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 457490
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru_gc8 View Post
well I think they said that they wanted to turbo to make power all they way to 8000 but the g25 would fall off pretty bad after the 7500 mark. if you look at the dynos of the g25 on subarus they seem not to make power past that point even if you get the .92 ar which is pretty big, I think honestly its just like the gtx where the 28 don't do well up to on the subarus but they gtx30 seem to be the way to go. what i have found out is that even on my 2.1 with v9 heads with a spoolinator 3067 my car really doesn't make power til about 4000ish but it doesn't make power from that point all the way to 8000 so yeah .
it might be a little different on a 2.0 than a 2.5 and alot has to do with what you are looking for.

im my opinion the problem with autocross isnt where the turbo kicks in its the gearing of the trans. that's the problem. If anything you should try to find a v7 jdm trans that has the lowest gear ratio of all the 6speeds if you are going to do autocross. that will keep you in the zone longer than the other trans will.
All good points! I actually had a V5 STi 5 speed with a 4.44FD and with a vf37 the power delivery was incredible. I even made 10ftlbs/tq more than my g25 setup. Little turbo even got me consistent 12.5's on the 1/4mile too. It was truly a badass setup!
TheGreatTillzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:15 AM   #15
TheGreatTillzby
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 457490
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3rm1tth3fr0g View Post
Shaving the block and partially tranny is a very very common and non harmful practice used for the Spoolinator, Full Race kits, and larger FP turbos and more just FYI.
Good to know! Maybe the option of a g30 in stock location is possible in the future
TheGreatTillzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.