Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 14, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2020, 08:39 PM   #1
white06
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 147915
Join Date: May 2007
Default Purchasing a Subaru advice

Hello everyone, Iím looking for some advice Iím looking to purchase a 2005 wrx for my 18 year old son Iíve found a car and but it has 250k on the body or chassis and and these Modifications:
Cobb access port stage3
Blouch 16g turbo
Catless uppipe
Catless downpipe
3in turbo back exhaust
Sti top mount intercooler
ID 1050 injectors
Tgv deletes
Turbo inlet
Sti coil packs
Cobb boost controller
Cold air intake
BC coilovers
Roto grid wheels hankook tires
Kart boy short shifter

New timing belt water pump 1k
New radiator 1k
New brakes 1k
Heads machined by Larryís 40k
Brand new oem short block 40k
New clutch 40k
Touch screen radio
Factory subwoofer
Tinted windows
asking price is 8k and Iím wondering if this is a good deal or not any advice would be highly appreciated thank you all
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
white06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:53 PM   #2
turbid2wenty
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 512262
Join Date: Mar 2020
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Lowell, MA
Vehicle:
2020 STi Limited
WRB

Default

Would this be your 18 year old's first car, out of curiosity?
turbid2wenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:54 PM   #3
white06
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 147915
Join Date: May 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbid2wenty View Post
Would this be your 18 year old's first car, out of curiosity?
Yes itís his first car
white06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:04 PM   #4
turbid2wenty
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 512262
Join Date: Mar 2020
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Lowell, MA
Vehicle:
2020 STi Limited
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by white06 View Post
Yes itís his first car
It's been tuned to stage 3 and has a lot of aftermarket mods. It looks like the car is pretty well past due for some of the regular maintenance items, without even considering how it might've been driven. I'd guess that you'd be in for a couple grand at least just for wear and tear type maintenance. I might also ask if the car had been tracked at all...again, I'd guess it would have been (based on the advertised level of tuning), but who knows. Is this going to be a daily driver for him?
turbid2wenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:26 PM   #5
white06
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 147915
Join Date: May 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbid2wenty View Post
It's been tuned to stage 3 and has a lot of aftermarket mods. It looks like the car is pretty well past due for some of the regular maintenance items, without even considering how it might've been driven. I'd guess that you'd be in for a couple grand at least just for wear and tear type maintenance. I might also ask if the car had been tracked at all...again, I'd guess it would have been (based on the advertised level of tuning), but who knows. Is this going to be a daily driver for him?
What type of maintenance would you recommend be done to it when if we do purchase it?? Iím not sure it was tracked but I will make sure to ask when I go look at it. An yes basically will be his daily driver
white06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:21 PM   #6
Jack
Add Lightness
Moderator
 
Member#: 13699
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Hopkinton, MA
Vehicle:
not my president
(From General)

Default

No for all the reasons.

It's a beat to hell car with a zillion miles on it. With the modifications, it's a ticking time bomb. Regular maintenance deferred on this high of a mileage car is going to cost at least 2 grand.

Bail money.

The kid is going to go do stupid things.

I have a 19 and 23 year old.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:25 PM   #7
white06
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 147915
Join Date: May 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
No for all the reasons.

It's a beat to hell car with a zillion miles on it. With the modifications, it's a ticking time bomb. Regular maintenance deferred on this high of a mileage car is going to cost at least 2 grand.

Bail money.

The kid is going to go do stupid things.

I have a 19 and 23 year old.
Even tho the motor supposedly only have 40k on it since the short block was done?
white06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:40 AM   #8
dobie0791
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 72713
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Northern CA
Vehicle:
2005 STi
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by white06 View Post
Even tho the motor supposedly only have 40k on it since the short block was done?
Uh, member since 2007... The car's condition should be the least of your concerns if you buy this.
dobie0791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:26 AM   #9
rtv900
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 428511
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: philadelphia
Vehicle:
2016 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by white06 View Post
Iím not sure it was tracked but I will make sure to ask when I go look at it. An yes basically will be his daily driver
You may as well ask if he beat on it also, that way you know you'll get two bs answers.
Come on, do you seriously think he'll say it was tracked?

Be realistic man, I could understand your 18 year old son getting caught in wanting this exact car and being naive not getting the mileage, age and extensive mod list is the red flag of all red flags, but you must be at least 45 or 50 right?
How can you honestly be considering buying a 15 year old car with a quarter million miles on AND dozens and dozens of mods tuned WAY past it's factory power level????????

I just don't get it.
rtv900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:39 AM   #10
Jack
Add Lightness
Moderator
 
Member#: 13699
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Hopkinton, MA
Vehicle:
not my president
(From General)

Default

I don't care if it has a brand new factory Subaru engine. You're giving your son a bad driving record right from the start. Things besides the engine wear in a car. Look around NASIOC for the threads about having a "new" engine and "now I'm hearing rod knock". Is it really 40k miles? Is it a JDM engine that supposedly has 40k miles?

My honest recommendation, having been in your shoes and making the mistake you're about to make (except I bought my son a WRX with 80k miles on it). Find a 2.5RS or other N/A impreza and pay for an STi wing and some nice gold wheels. Let him have a cool looking car. Allow him to put on all the stupid looking stickers he wants.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:15 AM   #11
white06
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 147915
Join Date: May 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I don't care if it has a brand new factory Subaru engine. You're giving your son a bad driving record right from the start. Things besides the engine wear in a car. Look around NASIOC for the threads about having a "new" engine and "now I'm hearing rod knock". Is it really 40k miles? Is it a JDM engine that supposedly has 40k miles?

My honest recommendation, having been in your shoes and making the mistake you're about to make (except I bought my son a WRX with 80k miles on it). Find a 2.5RS or other N/A impreza and pay for an STi wing and some nice gold wheels. Let him have a cool looking car. Allow him to put on all the stupid looking stickers he wants.

No itís not a jdm sti engine with 40k it was a brand new oem short block that was done 40k miles ago, he originally wanted a sti but way to expensive for me so I figured Iíd find something clean with low miles and there way over priced even with over 100k miles people are asking over 10k for these cars
white06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:17 AM   #12
white06
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 147915
Join Date: May 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobie0791 View Post
Uh, member since 2007... The car's condition should be the least of your concerns if you buy this.
Well I joined the forum in 2007 when I got my 2006 sti sold the car in like 2010 but I never really came on here to often
white06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:26 AM   #13
white06
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 147915
Join Date: May 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtv900 View Post
You may as well ask if he beat on it also, that way you know you'll get two bs answers.
Come on, do you seriously think he'll say it was tracked?

Be realistic man, I could understand your 18 year old son getting caught in wanting this exact car and being naive not getting the mileage, age and extensive mod list is the red flag of all red flags, but you must be at least 45 or 50 right?
How can you honestly be considering buying a 15 year old car with a quarter million miles on AND dozens and dozens of mods tuned WAY past it's factory power level????????

I just don't get it.
Well Iím hoping thereís still honest people out there, the vehicle is owned by a female sheís the second owner. And as far as whole deal with my son is caught in this exact not really heís just says heís leaving it up to me. And as far as considering buying the car with that many miles I know itís a crap ton of miles but I was sucked in by how clean the car is and the engine only having supposedly 40k thatís why posted the thread to hear some opinions of some people with Subaru experience and as far as my age Iím 41
white06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:41 AM   #14
rtv900
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 428511
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: philadelphia
Vehicle:
2016 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by white06 View Post
And as far as considering buying the car with that many miles I know itís a crap ton of miles but I was sucked in by how clean the car is and the engine only having supposedly 40k thatís why posted the thread to hear some opinions of some people with Subaru experience and as far as my age Iím 41
ok, so new engine in 15 year old vehicle with 250k miles on every other component other than the engine, and dozens and dozens of mods and asking $8,000?????
That's a rip off
rtv900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:22 PM   #15
absubie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 196235
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: North Georgia
Vehicle:
2016 WRX Limited
Pure Red

Default

If only for all the reasons given in previous posts - a hard no. More importantly, as a fellow father, who was once 18 and had a cool, though not overly fast car (1990 Nissan 300ZX non-turbo) at this very same age, there is no way I would ever consider giving an 18 year old driver a car as powerful as the car you have listed. My old 2004 WRX with an E85 tune and bolt-ons was likely close to this power level, and it was way more than enough to get in big trouble or worse with. I cringe at the thought of the dumb(er) things I would have done with a truly fast car at 18.
absubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 10:51 PM   #16
kfrantz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 512579
Join Date: Mar 2020
Default

Is he set on the blob eye (04-05)? Can usually find bugeyes (02-03) under 10K. Generally want to stay away from all the mods, if someone is selling a car they've invested that much extra in, chances are there's a major issue.
kfrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 04:51 AM   #17
turboblew
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 508225
Join Date: Nov 2019
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: North FL
Vehicle:
2006 Subaru
Fusia

Default

buy the kid a new imprezza for $18k. No need to shop used douchebag vehicles... or buy him a bicycle. It would be more than my parents did...lol.
That being said I took my son to a driving course before he could get on the road. I learned stuff and so did he.
turboblew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:12 AM   #18
Jack
Add Lightness
Moderator
 
Member#: 13699
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Hopkinton, MA
Vehicle:
not my president
(From General)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboblew View Post
buy the kid a new imprezza for $18k. No need to shop used douchebag vehicles... or buy him a bicycle. It would be more than my parents did...lol.
That being said I took my son to a driving course before he could get on the road. I learned stuff and so did he.
Good ideas there.

Well son #2 just got in his 3rd at fault accident (6 months driving) and my umbrella policy just said he must be excluded for me to renew with them.

We're looking at a couple year old Impreza with Eyesight to increase the chances of avoiding another accident. Unlike his brother, who did go out doing doughnuts, he's a reasonable driver. But new drivers don't see things coming like old guys like me who have lots of experience with racecars spinning in front of him on the track.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:09 PM   #19
tjohns93
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 447584
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Galaxy Blue

Default

With that mod list I would stay away, good luck in the search
tjohns93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2020 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.