Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday June 19, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-16-2018, 07:15 PM   #1
Imprezaspeed07
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 154863
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2007 Impreza WRX
World Rally Blue

Default Very hot engine bay after rebuild

Hi,

I cracked a ringland last year on my 07 WRX and had my engine rebuilt by a local Subaru engine builder. He basically deleted all of the extras, like tgv, air pump etc. He also installed forged Pistons and upgraded rods and crank. It runs well but the engine bay is super hot now. I can barley touch the hood prop because it's so hot. Is this normal?

Also a side note I have a turbo blanket and ewg. It was hot before the ewg.
Imprezaspeed07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2018, 07:16 PM   #2
europa
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 383231

I couple of suggestions/best guesses: Are your coolant temperatures normal? Are your fans running, especially if you turn the A/C on? Have you tried to use a temperature sensor/heat gun to measure the temperatures? Otherwise, can you detect the area that the heat is being generated if you run the engine with the hood open?
europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:18 AM   #3
I_R_A
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 482396
Default my bay was hotter with a built motor too

Heading a bit tongue in cheek.. not a jerk.

I just did a full ground up an engine (this is post 1/3 before I can post it for sale due to abandoning the build for personal reasons).

Don't forget you put on forged pistons and rods. If you tuned it up at all the heat duty on your engine, intercooler and everything else changed to make more horsepower with no changes to coolant system or airflow, your engine bay will be hotter with a performance engine.

Did you pull heatshield from the downpipe?

Get an IR gun from Amazon for 18 bucks and find what is hotter than normal.

Mine got hot once after a rebuild..... one of the fans was not plugged back in all the way. Finding that was a bitch... I always listen for the click now.
I_R_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:00 AM   #4
Imprezaspeed07
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 154863
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2007 Impreza WRX
World Rally Blue

I'll check the fans and see if that is the issue, but I am actually not making anymore power with forged internals it is just built to handle more power and track days. If I can find a fan not running I'll grab an ir gun
Imprezaspeed07 is offline   Reply With Quote