Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday January 31, 2023
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors > Non-Subaru News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2022, 03:27 PM   #351
blurred
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 47143
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Default

More expensive than a fully optioned Canadian market Supra lol




Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
blurred is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 04-05-2022, 03:31 PM   #352
mcarb002
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 324784
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seattle
Vehicle:
2019 Forester Sport

Default

Poor chano still probably calling dealers lmao!
mcarb002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 03:35 PM   #353
samagon
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 26859
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: undisputed COMBAT! champion
Vehicle:
of TXIC
I also like (oYo)!!!!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre View Post
I'm not in a frenzy and not into hype. .....

That factory is limited as far as production. Toyota can certainly ramp it up but that factory can only produce so much. That factory cannot produce numbers akin to their Camry plant for example.
from the R&T article you referenced earlier on this page:

Quote:
the special, hands-on Motomachi production facility will be able to meet the demand for the GR Corolla."I wouldn't say the limiting factor on these vehicles is our ability to produce them," Toyota Vice President of Marketing Mike Tripp told R&T
bolded the part that is important here.

there is absolutely no way they need Camry numbers of production, but you're providing your evidence that this car will be hard to get based upon information that the Toyota VP of marketing specifically denied as being a limiting factor.

GRC forum information vs Toyota VP of marketing:
Toyota VP of marketing wins.

I guess we'll see the truth of it in about 5 to 8 months, eh?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...ction-numbers/

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzy View Post
You're in good shape everywhere but here. This is where there is a huge hole in Toyota's system today. No ETA is possible until the dealer gets an allocation that you're good with. The wait for the allocation is darkness.

I have had a few dealers laugh at me on my 86 hunt, but I think it was more a "why the heck do people want this thing all of a sudden" laugh.
lol, then I guess I'll be told "we'll hold your deposit for the vehicle you spec'd but don't call us, we'll call you".
samagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 04:11 PM   #354
Pre
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 139693
Join Date: Feb 2007
Vehicle:
Dura ngo 95
horrorshow

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samagon View Post
from the R&T article you referenced earlier on this page:
bolded the part that is important here.

there is absolutely no way they need Camry numbers of production, but you're providing your evidence that this car will be hard to get based upon information that the Toyota VP of marketing specifically denied as being a limiting factor.

GRC forum information vs Toyota VP of marketing:
Toyota VP of marketing wins.
You just want to selectively believe whatever you want to believe because you don't like the information being given to you.

2023 production. 1500 Circuit Editions. 5100 Cores. 80% intended for North America. 6600 X 80% = 5280 units for all of North America including Canada.

You left out the detail:

Quote:
"I wouldn't say the limiting factor on these vehicles is our ability to produce them," Toyota Vice President of Marketing Mike Tripp told R&T. "It's being very careful to make sure that we maintain the niche credibility."
The right amount to ensure that while expanding the brand, Tripp says, is "one too few."


2024 full production 8000 units. We get 80%. 6400 units for all of North America. So for the first two model years, 11,680 cars. No STi, and yet you think you can stroll on in and get a deal?

He also said:
Quote:
"When it comes to something that's this niche, it's important to us that we give every dealer the opportunity to get one," Tripp said. "So if you do the math-and this is no guarantee-if we have a special edition for every dealer, that's 1250-ish. So when you have a total volume of somewhere between 6000 and 8000, and a special edition that's 1250 of that, we think that's the right balance. But one too few will be our goal, just not because of production limits."
Rude awakening coming. Lots of boxing, big $ in the used market.

Another MT article:
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2023...-availability/
Quote:
The 2023 Toyota GR Corolla Circuit Edition Will Only Be Available for One Year, Few Will Be Built
Try and grab the wildest-lookin' GR Corolla while you can, but even regular models will be rare.

Last edited by Pre; 04-05-2022 at 04:28 PM.
Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 04:36 PM   #355
wobbletop
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 11652
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Ontario, Canada
Vehicle:
'18 Focus RS Red
'70 Porsche 914/6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurred View Post
More expensive than a fully optioned Canadian market Supra lol




Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
I'll bite... where's that from?
wobbletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 04:40 PM   #356
blurred
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 47143
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbletop View Post
I'll bite... where's that from?
You're from Ontario, you should know its from here because of the OMVIC line Someone my friend knows, no other details.
blurred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 04:42 PM   #357
wobbletop
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 11652
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Ontario, Canada
Vehicle:
'18 Focus RS Red
'70 Porsche 914/6

Default

Is that friend known for pulling people's legs?
wobbletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 04:47 PM   #358
samagon
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 26859
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: undisputed COMBAT! champion
Vehicle:
of TXIC
I also like (oYo)!!!!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre View Post
You just want to selectively believe whatever you want to believe because you don't like the information being given to you.

2023 production. 1500 Circuit Editions. 5100 Cores. 80% intended for North America. 6600 X 80% = 5280 units for all of North America including Canada.

You left out the detail:

[/b]

2024 full production 8000 units. We get 80%. 6400 units for all of North America. So for the first two model years, 11,680 cars. No STi, and yet you think you can stroll on in and get a deal?

He also said:

Rude awakening coming. Lots of boxing, big $ in the used market.

Another MT article:
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2023...-availability/
as there isn't a like button, I have no choice but to respond and say, ok, whatever, thumbsup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurred View Post
You're from Ontario, you should know its from here because of the OMVIC line Someone my friend knows, no other details.
that's maple syrup currency, so it equates to about thirty eagle bucks?

nice to see there's a federal air conditioner tax

Last edited by samagon; 04-05-2022 at 04:53 PM.
samagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 04:51 PM   #359
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Northbridge, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarb002 View Post
Poor chano still probably calling dealers lmao!
lol You're not wrong. One dealer in New Hampshire said they were only dealing with locals. I'm in contact with one local dealer in MA. I plan on reaching out to another dealer in MA that a friend just bought their Sienna from and had a good experience (their 3rd Sienna, btw). Also gonna reach out to the dealer in... *gulp* Anchorage, Alaska. I have a list of No ADM dealers that I'm reaching out to as well.

The biggest hardship will be for people who live in heavily populated areas. The high demand there doesn't surprise me one bit, especially on the coasts. More remote locations by virtue of being remote won't have nearly as many people fighting over allocations. The hardest part is finding dealers who'll deal out-of-state.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 04:57 PM   #360
Russ_G93
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 528403
Join Date: Jan 2022
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: NorCal
Vehicle:
22' WR-HikingShoe
17' F250, 18' Q5, 18' CRV

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurred View Post
More expensive than a fully optioned Canadian market Supra lol




Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
If this was USD, I could buy a brand new 2022 F250 Lariat with this
Russ_G93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 04:58 PM   #361
samagon
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 26859
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: undisputed COMBAT! champion
Vehicle:
of TXIC
I also like (oYo)!!!!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
lol You're not wrong. One dealer in New Hampshire said they were only dealing with locals. I'm in contact with one local dealer in MA. I plan on reaching out to another dealer in MA that a friend just bought their Sienna from and had a good experience (their 3rd Sienna, btw). Also gonna reach out to the dealer in... *gulp* Anchorage, Alaska. I have a list of No ADM dealers that I'm reaching out to as well.

The biggest hardship will be for people who live in heavily populated areas. The high demand there doesn't surprise me one bit, especially on the coasts. More remote locations by virtue of being remote won't have nearly as many people fighting over allocations. The hardest part is finding dealers who'll deal out-of-state.
check with Toyota of Bozeman.
samagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 05:08 PM   #362
blurred
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 47143
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbletop View Post
Is that friend known for pulling people's legs?
No, this is legit, although the price might not be, could just be a placeholder as they can't sell for more than they advertise by law here, so we will see. I cropped this a bit, but I don't have the left side of the contract with details...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samagon View Post

that's maple syrup currency, so it equates to about thirty eagle bucks?

nice to see there's a federal air conditioner tax
Yeah, we love taxes here


Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_G93 View Post
If this was USD, I could buy a brand new 2022 F250 Lariat with this
Well, regardless of currency you could... a 2022 F250 lariat starts at 68kCDN
blurred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 05:20 PM   #363
samagon
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 26859
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: undisputed COMBAT! champion
Vehicle:
of TXIC
I also like (oYo)!!!!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurred View Post
the price might not be, could just be a placeholder as they can't sell for more than they advertise by law here
that's unamerican!









oh wait.
samagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 06:10 PM   #364
mcarb002
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 324784
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seattle
Vehicle:
2019 Forester Sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
lol You're not wrong. One dealer in New Hampshire said they were only dealing with locals. I'm in contact with one local dealer in MA. I plan on reaching out to another dealer in MA that a friend just bought their Sienna from and had a good experience (their 3rd Sienna, btw). Also gonna reach out to the dealer in... *gulp* Anchorage, Alaska. I have a list of No ADM dealers that I'm reaching out to as well.

The biggest hardship will be for people who live in heavily populated areas. The high demand there doesn't surprise me one bit, especially on the coasts. More remote locations by virtue of being remote won't have nearly as many people fighting over allocations. The hardest part is finding dealers who'll deal out-of-state.
God speed! Hopefully you get lucky and someone backs out etc. you never know. Good luck dude.
mcarb002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 07:19 PM   #365
Pre
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 139693
Join Date: Feb 2007
Vehicle:
Dura ngo 95
horrorshow

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samagon View Post
as there isn't a like button, I have no choice but to respond and say, ok, whatever, thumbsup.
Don't shoot the messenger. Do you think any of us "like" this? Fudge no. I'm not thrilled that I beat 99% to the punch and now it doesn't even matter! I know stealers too well too. "Oh I'm first on their list" <-- So what, good luck on that CE guv. I do think #1 and #2 on a honest stealer's list, you'll get a car just don't be in a hurry. There are people out there right now with deposits at 6 dealerships. I'm not going to compete with that nor do I want to. I'll get one, it'll be a core, and I'm being honest with myself. 2024. If I want a signature edition whatever, 2025. Whatever you "think" I want us die hards for AWD Turbo 6MT hatches to all get one. It's just not going to be without a fight or easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
lol You're not wrong. One dealer in New Hampshire said they were only dealing with locals.
Dealer by dealer this is becoming the norm. In state only. Rest pound sound. Thanks Kali folks. That's not because of this car but what's gone on over the last 2 years. Dealers are tired of it. Imagine sitting there all day answering the phone "no, sorry" when they'd rather be selling stuff and the lot is either empty or really bare.

<-- Heavy Metal to triple pack pure white CE in just a couple of days man. And who knows when, 2023, 2024, 2025? Trust me this is exactly how the GRY played out in Europe and why there is a 2 year waiting list.

What is really going to be funny is you boob people calling in favors to Yota PR people to get allocation and they'll get it so they can "make content" and throw some race gas on that fire. Seen a number of people who already own GR86 and/or GR Supra wanting a matching set of GR products with deposits. You're fighting errybody on this one. Then there is the "I'm just going to get one of the first ones cuz I'm number one then sell it, make money, and get right back on this other list." I hope that new CTR is hype as well as the Z and 6MT Supra. Need more **** in this space or it's gonna be a Clubber Lang fight.
Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 08:00 PM   #366
WideBody
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 329797
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2007 Outback

Default

How is it possible that people are already getting sale tickets/preorder tickets? I've checked with several local dealerships to me (I haven't even gotten as far as markups) and they have told me that they are not taking orders from anyone because they cannot put the car in the system yet, and that "we'll call you when we can do it".

I really don't know what to believe, all of these people have these vouchers that are guaranteeing themselves cars - but I've checked several major high-volume dealers here in the Tri-State area including the Toyota dealer I've bought cars at in the past and none of them are even accepting pre-orders. I was offered a "hot deal" on a Supra that was in a showroom by one of the salesmen though, so there's that I guess.
WideBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 08:04 PM   #367
VarmintCong
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 379605
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Peabody, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Civic Sport
2012 Outback 2.5

Default

My prediction is the stock market and bitcoin will dump 30% and 50% respectively in the next 3 months and half these orders will vaporize.

There’s a lot of young people who can buy this car with one bitcoin that they paid 10 cents for.
VarmintCong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 08:15 PM   #368
Pre
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 139693
Join Date: Feb 2007
Vehicle:
Dura ngo 95
horrorshow

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WideBody View Post
How is it possible that people are already getting sale tickets/preorder tickets? I've checked with several local dealerships to me (I haven't even gotten as far as markups) and they have told me that they are not taking orders from anyone because they cannot put the car in the system yet, and that "we'll call you when we can do it".

I really don't know what to believe, all of these people have these vouchers that are guaranteeing themselves cars - but I've checked several major high-volume dealers here in the Tri-State area including the Toyota dealer I've bought cars at in the past and none of them are even accepting pre-orders. I was offered a "hot deal" on a Supra that was in a showroom by one of the salesmen though, so there's that I guess.
This is correct. Some Yota stealers aren't accepting deposits or anything until the sale sheet is available. That sheet has pricing, options and their pricing, colors, etc. IE an ordering system via Yota USA. Many stealers don't want to deal with it until an ordering system is available.

Other Yota stealers aren't not going to turn down a buck so have been taking deposits into.... well last year. I've seen deposits as early as August of 2021. It's nothing more than good faith deposits. Stealers in Cali are 70 deep. Another is 100 deep and has cut people off. Then in Canada in various places, 20 deep and they've cut people off. It's variable by region, state, even city. It's a clusterF right now literally. The amount of deposits I've seen by stealers that will take them, certainly is enough to squander every MY2023 GRC. But the reality is that not even the stealers know how allocation will work on this car. Existing allocation model (sucks) or ordering system. My bet is an ordering system at some point and that's what the Yota places you called are waiting on before taking anyone's money. The demand is such that for most, it's going to be a multi-year waiting list just like the GR Yaris.
Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 08:28 PM   #369
WideBody
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 329797
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2007 Outback

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre View Post
This is correct. Some Yota stealers aren't accepting deposits or anything until the sale sheet is available. That sheet has pricing, options and their pricing, colors, etc. IE an ordering system via Yota USA. Many stealers don't want to deal with it until an ordering system is available.

Other Yota stealers aren't not going to turn down a buck so have been taking deposits into.... well last year. I've seen deposits as early as August of 2021. It's nothing more than good faith deposits. Stealers in Cali are 70 deep. Another is 100 deep and has cut people off. Then in Canada in various places, 20 deep and they've cut people off. It's variable by region, state, even city. It's a clusterF right now literally. The amount of deposits I've seen by stealers that will take them, certainly is enough to squander every MY2023 GRC. But the reality is that not even the stealers know how allocation will work on this car. Existing allocation model (sucks) or ordering system. My bet is an ordering system at some point and that's what the Yota places you called are waiting on before taking anyone's money. The demand is such that for most, it's going to be a multi-year waiting list just like the GR Yaris.
Yeah - the question is though, what about those dealers who are 100+ deep in pre-reserves? Like I don't see how they're going to get that many cars, especially since the dealers I've been speaking to have massive lots and even in these times of scarcity have kept them with at least one or two cars per model which is more than other dealers/brands. Will these big corps get shafted by the ones who have accepted preorders and not get any allocations, or will it be more based on what they sell like the normal sort of deal where some dealers get 10 STIs a year (RIP) and others get one if they're lucky.

I'm just sort of concerned that I won't be able to get an order in, although I guess if the dealer system has no way of officially ordering and they won't be able to officially place an order I'm no better or worse than the people who have paid $500-$1000 for a piece of useless paper I guess.
WideBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 08:33 PM   #370
Pre
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 139693
Join Date: Feb 2007
Vehicle:
Dura ngo 95
horrorshow

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WideBody View Post
Yeah - the question is though, what about those dealers who are 100+ deep in pre-reserves? Like I don't see how they're going to get that many cars, especially since the dealers I've been speaking to have massive lots and even in these times of scarcity have kept them with at least one or two cars per model which is more than other dealers/brands. Will these big corps get shafted by the ones who have accepted preorders and not get any allocations, or will it be more based on what they sell like the normal sort of deal where some dealers get 10 STIs a year (RIP) and others get one if they're lucky.

I'm just sort of concerned that I won't be able to get an order in, although I guess if the dealer system has no way of officially ordering and they won't be able to officially place an order I'm no better or worse than the people who have paid $500-$1000 for a piece of useless paper I guess.
More or less. Nobody knows how allocation is going to work. My deposit was put in on 3/11. It was 1k and it's 100% refundable. All I did was get my place in line at my dealer for NO ADM. That's it. Your stealers, just make sure you are at the top of the list when they do allow you to throw a deposit down. Pick the MSRP only one too. So many are gouging ADM on ever single vehicle they get, we're talking Camrys Siennas, model does not matter.
Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 08:40 PM   #371
WideBody
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 329797
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2007 Outback

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre View Post
More or less. Nobody knows how allocation is going to work. My deposit was put in on 3/11. It was 1k and it's 100% refundable. All I did was get my place in line at my dealer for NO ADM. That's it. Your stealers, just make sure you are at the top of the list when they do allow you to throw a deposit down. Pick the MSRP only one too. So many are gouging ADM on ever single vehicle they get, we're talking Camrys Siennas, model does not matter.
Yeah - the dealer I bought 2 Toyota products from has $2000 ADM minimum on everything, including regular Corollas. Although I don't think you can escape that here in the Tri-State. I'm pretty resigned to it at this point, I'm gonna pay $6/gallon for gas, $10k over MSRP on my Corolla, and when I go to the grocery store in my shiny new Corolla they won't have fresh meat or flour in stock for some reason. That's just how it is nowadays.

I'm mostly concerned that I'll miss out on the swan song of the ICE performance car, its either this or the supposed manual Supra. It's going to be my final purchase of a manual transmission purely gasoline car I'd imagine so I want to make it count.
WideBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 08:49 PM   #372
Pre
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 139693
Join Date: Feb 2007
Vehicle:
Dura ngo 95
horrorshow

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WideBody View Post

I'm mostly concerned that I'll miss out on the swan song of the ICE performance car, its either this or the supposed manual Supra. It's going to be my final purchase of a manual transmission purely gasoline car I'd imagine so I want to make it count.
Exact same boat dude. Also corresponds with a significant birthday for me. This is what I wanted a Circuit Edition.

Not a fan of this guy but just go to the 9:50 mark and listen to what he says.

Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 11:03 PM   #373
quentinberg007
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 7887
Join Date: Jun 2001
Vehicle:
2016 Red Car
2017 White/Black Car

Default

JMO, but half the people claiming they are going to get one will drop off when the pricing comes out. There’s going to be a whole lot of people that are going to have a hard time parting with $40k at 5% for 7 years. Yes, there will be some youtuber shenanigans, but I don’t think that is representative of most of the cars. That will just be the most visible.

There will be a rush for the first ones and then another rush for the CE, but core models will likely be available when the CEs hit. It’s actually a great move because the disappointed folks that wanted a CE will be able to settle for a core when they time comes. I think announcing it this early also will work in our favor. The fever will break a little bit when those gotta have it now folks move onto the next shiny thing when they realize it is going to perform pretty darn close to a ‘21 STI and CTR instead of being a world beater.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
quentinberg007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 02:42 AM   #374
White out
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 46277
Join Date: Oct 2003
Vehicle:
H1 Viper
LP640 FGT

Default

.....

Last edited by White out; 05-09-2022 at 07:41 PM.
White out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 04:44 AM   #375
AVANTI R5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 73805
Join Date: Nov 2004
Default How Much Does The GR Corolla Differ From The GR Yaris?

You guys probably saw or know this info. I haven't been following this thread lately. It's gone be a while before it's available and lot can change. I don't it will have the soul or flickable/ steer with throttle etc of the GR Yaris. Anyway here's an article from Carbuzz.

Quote:

How Much Does The GR Corolla Differ From The GR Yaris?
by Chase Bierenkoven


It's not a straight swap of a powertrain into a bigger body.

When news broke that Toyota was going to transplant the GR Yaris' guts into the existing Corolla hatch, the automotive community lost their collective minds. Japan's most desirable hot hatch since the Honda Civic Type R was coming stateside, albeit with some changes. And those changes are going to create a hugely different car, despite some common ground.

The common ground between the two is obvious: Toyota's 1.6-liter turbocharged three-cylinder and GR-Four AWD system. From there, well, the differences between these two rally cars for the road begin to make themselves apparent. Take the power figures, for example. The Toyota GR Yaris makes 257 hp and 266 lb-ft of torque, whereas the GR 'Rolla pushes out 300 hp and 273 lb-ft of torque. After that, the differences only grow.

Let's start with what is probably the most apparent difference between the two. The Toyota GR Corolla rides on the larger GA-C platform, as compared to the GR Yaris' GA-B platform. Stylistically, not much is shared. Perhaps the foglights. Of course, the Corolla features a larger five-door layout over the Yaris' three-door layout. The Yaris also comes standard with a forged carbon roof, something only available on the Circuit Edition GR Corolla, of which only 1,500 will be made.
However, the two share a very similar philosophy in the modifications made over the standard Toyota Yaris and Corolla, with structural reinforcements throughout the chassis, wider tracks, and extensive lightweighting via carbon fiber and aluminum where possible. Toyota also had to modify the floor of the GR 'Rolla to make room for the rear differential, yet another difference.

We mentioned the difference in power figures above, but that isn't all that separates these two cars' turbo-three powerplants (and their gearboxes as a result). Toyota needed more power out of the Corolla for a few reasons, and as a result, the new exhaust and an increase in boost pressure helped deliver it. We imagine the two will sound roughly similar, with the Yaris being slightly louder due to a shorter exhaust path. In addition to the difference in exhausts, the two make their power in slightly different ways, with peak torque running from 3,000-5,500 RPM in the 'Rolla compared to 3,000-4,600 RPM in the Yaris.

While the GR-Four AWD system is largely unchanged between the two, Toyota did tweak the gear ratios for the Corolla, if not by much. A simple change in the 'Rolla's final drive ratio to 3.350 undercuts the Yaris' 3.941 ratio. The result should be a slightly more manic gearbox feel from the Corolla. Happily, both share a six-speed manual gearbox, the only transmission option available.
Toyota
Rear-Facing View Toyota
Toyota
Front View Toyota
When we first saw the GR Corolla, the wheels looked strikingly similar to the Yaris. However, they, along with other changes to the suspension side of the car, are totally different. Both wheels are 18 inches in diameter, but the Yaris gets Dunlop SP Sport Maxx tires instead of the Corolla's Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires. Underneath those wheels, the two share a braking system, run by four-piston calipers and 356mm rotors in the front with 297mm rotors and two-piston calipers in the rear. The biggest changes to the unsprung side of these cars are still unknown, however.

With the GR Corolla coming in at 3,249 lbs, it's significantly heavier than the 2,822 lb Yaris. That will necessitate some significant suspension changes to account for the extra 427 lbs of mass. To find out just how drastic those changes are, we'll have to wait for more details or some seat time. In short, the two couldn't be more different despite their shared ethos and powertrain. Will the extra heft make the Corolla feel sloppier than the more rally-adjacent Yaris? We'll have to wait and see.
Wheel Toyota

AVANTI R5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2023 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.