Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday October 17, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > FA Series Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-08-2018, 08:52 AM   #51
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru

Member#: 21145
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2SW21 View Post
Actually didn't feel any. Also didn't notice any different in terms of shifting, it is pretty much the same to me. Didn't get easier or harder.
Not sure you mean shifting between gears or the feel of the shifter. The shifter feel will improve with upgraded TiC shift bushings.
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2018, 10:30 AM   #52
killadawg
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 424203
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2016 WRX stg 4 Rally
STI Drivetrain GM

Seriously I did every upgrade possible to make the stock wrx 6sp shift better, nothing really did much.. worst manual shifter in my life... I hate the cable shifters.. I did an Sti swap.. OMG no comparison at all, the car went from ok to drive to amazing and fun.. and no more weird 2 - 3rd weird rev spot.. too low or too high feel... I know that is a more involved upgrade, but do keep it on your radar if you hate the stock shifter as I did..
killadawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:51 AM   #53
MR2SW21
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 461391
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Base
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
Not sure you mean shifting between gears or the feel of the shifter. The shifter feel will improve with upgraded TiC shift bushings.
Someone mentioned after replacing the trans mount and the cross member bushing, shifting from first to second is smoother and easier also downshift back to first from second while the car still rolling, they claim it is due to less of the transmission movement from the upgrade.

But my car don't seem to have those issue before I did this upgrade anyway. So I was just pointing out those "better shifting thought/ feel" don't really apply to me.
MR2SW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:29 PM   #54
MR2SW21
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 461391
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Base
White

Here is the link for a quick clip just made showing the before and after.

Interesting, the amount of movement is pretty much the same (OEM and Group N) in video link clip below, just slightly different less with the group N, but I guess that done the trick to prevent the pipe hitting the transmission mount sub frame.

http://drive.google.com/open?id=1FZG...FbaUKv5NVvrc2R

Thanks everyone's input, super happy that the J-pipe hitting sub frame issue is now resolved.

In addition, I have made a clip for my diff movement after the installation as well, but unfortunately it is not a before and after comparison.

http://drive.google.com/open?id=1bNi...cNhFg2ewTo61eJ

Edit:
After two days of learning this new setup. I found that during stop light, it vibrate a little more than it was.
Pretty much that's the only noticeable difference from OEM to Group N in terms of NVH.

Last edited by MR2SW21; 02-09-2018 at 02:23 PM.
MR2SW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:46 PM   #55
tokksic
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 441539
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Silver

Bringing this up from the dead for anyone searching out j-pipe issues.

I had a GS catted j-pipe installed on my 2015 WRX with minimal miles. A well known Subaru performance shop in Maryland did all the work (including tuning). I had noticed a noise in reverse and on downshifts coming from front drivers side of vehicle. Took car back in, and it was the j-pipe bracket rubbing the subframe bolt? I didnít see it, but this is what I was told (I donít have the resources to do my own work at my house). The mechanic said the bracket was t-slotted and it worked itself out and was rubbing, so they did some basic fab work and I no longer have the issue.

My symptoms were what sounded like a thud or a clunk on downshifts and reverse. It was due to the j pipe rubbing something, very similar to the original poster. I donít think itís a GrimmSpeed design flaw, but good for people so speak up when they encounter the same issue.

Once again, I know this thread is old but I researched it like a madman before taking to my mechanic- thought anything from pitch stop, to strut top hat, to the downpipe rubbing a heatshield. Instead of was just the stupid bracket rubbing something. So for anyone else searching with a 2015+ and a grimmspeed pipe, check your bracket!!
tokksic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:19 PM   #56
03s2
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 294558

My brothers 17 wrx does the same thing with the grimmspeed j pipe. Rubs against the transmission bracket. I loosened the bolt for the bracket on the j pipe and moved it as far as I could and it doesn't rub for now. Guess we'll see if it moves again. The only solution that would be easy enough would be the dent the j pipe in a little or grind the corner of the trans bracket itself. Anyone else come up with other ideas?
03s2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:16 PM   #57
Wrb2018limited
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 495674

Having something similar. Get a clunk on downshift into second, only when I downshift hard though. Everything is torqued to spec, not seeming to hit the transmission mount. Making me crazy not being able to drive the car. Definitely something hitting, just for the life of me can't find it. Double checked my work on three separate occasions.
Wrb2018limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:04 AM   #58
bigmacunion
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 417141

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03s2 View Post
My brothers 17 wrx does the same thing with the grimmspeed j pipe. Rubs against the transmission bracket. I loosened the bolt for the bracket on the j pipe and moved it as far as I could and it doesn't rub for now. Guess we'll see if it moves again. The only solution that would be easy enough would be the dent the j pipe in a little or grind the corner of the trans bracket itself. Anyone else come up with other ideas?

dremel the offending bolt. And reposition the pipe on the bracket to create some additional room,
bigmacunion is offline   Reply With Quote