Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday October 16, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > FA Series Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-17-2019, 06:59 PM   #1
ascho078
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 466144
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
White

Default Wiring harness issues with FA20DIT

Hi everybody, this is my first post.

I would firstly like everybody who owns a 2015-2017 Subaru wrx with a FA20D to be aware of the technical service bulletin regarding the engine wiring harness 24020AG430 (replaced by 24020AG341) and 24020AF980 through 982 (CVT TRANSMISSION, replaced by 24020AF983) (part number can be seen on the passengers side of the harness itself. within the engine bay)

the link can be found here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...54417-9999.pdf

it was issued in January, 2019.

I'm aware of this because I've suffered failure of this harness during operation (the immobilizer through a fit driving down the road), it forced the car out of gear (which ran the revs up a couple times trying to put it back - but thankfully I didn't rev it too hard) and basically stranded me in the middle of a multilane road.

the Diagnostic code was B1578, the ultimate point of failure was between connector E3 and E158. (described as a 'continuity error', which just means the wire has a connection issue between one side and the other. and it isn't visible on the outside).

I double and triple checked the outside of the wiring harness (which is much more visible on the passenger's side, the driver's side has a-lot of insulating foam), and theres no visible damage.

Subaru wont cover this because my car is 5,000km outside of warranty (65,000km), and they don't consider the engine wiring harness part of the power-train warranty for 100,000km. they also don't consider the part "defective" (despite it being superseded, and failing for me). personally I disagree with several of their opinions

I have some questions for this forum, specifically:
has anybody done a wiring harness on a FA20DIT?
did you have to remove the high pressure fuel lines?
could you use a fuel line disconnect like a AST AH8028?

also related, is it possible to reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery? (which would be required to swap the wiring harness anyways) or do I need to use Subaru Select Monitor 4 to make the car drivable again?

I have some time before I get into this, because the parts going to take a while to come in.

thanks in advance for any help you might offer in addition to help I've silently received while lurking in other forums

Last edited by ascho078; 09-17-2019 at 07:07 PM.
ascho078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2019, 11:26 PM   #2
noobultimatum
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 431550
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
ALL THE STAGES

You might want to hit up https://www.iwireservices.com/ and see if they have fiddled with 2015+ wrx wiring harnesses. I would imagine they can can help you out regarding info/guidance.
noobultimatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:37 PM   #3
fishfangs
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 425438
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
ISM

Try and find the service manual online. There should be a couple sources. I took a quick look of the copy I have and it mentioned removing the intake manifold and "fuel insulator"
fishfangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:28 PM   #4
ascho078
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 466144
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfangs View Post
Try and find the service manual online. There should be a couple sources. I took a quick look of the copy I have and it mentioned removing the intake manifold and "fuel insulator"
I've actually had the service manual all along, which page/part did you find this?
my copy is called "2017 WRX Service Manual" and its 7116 pages long.
ascho078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:49 AM   #5
shadowsports
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 446364
Vehicle:
'17 STI LMT '08 LGT
DGM / QSM

Sucks that you are 5k out of warranty and the dealer is refusing to cover.

FYI, the immobilizer "throwing a fit" due to harness failure or connection would not force the car out of gear. The immobilizer is electronic and doesn't have any physical capability to take the car out of gear.

Disconnecting the battery will reset the ECU"s readiness sensors to defaults. You will need to drive the car about 100 miles for all "relearning" to occur.

I would contact SOA or SO"Canada" and appeal. This is one of those cases where you need a human to make a judgement call and hopefully intervene on your behalf. Be polite and humble "ask for help".
shadowsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 12:52 PM   #6
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/05 GTO

For clarification, "powertrain" for warranty purposes refers specifically to the internal spinny oily bits. This applies to all mfrs not just Subaru.
External bolt-ons and electrical stuff are only covered under the initial bumper-bumper warranty, which is 3yrs/36K mi here in the states. So that harness is actually way out of warranty although it still shouldn't have failed as soon as it did.
Anyway good luck getting it sorted and hopefully they will work with you. Try to be as diplomatic as possible.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:16 PM   #7
fishfangs
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 425438
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
ISM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascho078 View Post
I've actually had the service manual all along, which page/part did you find this?
my copy is called "2017 WRX Service Manual" and its 7116 pages long.
The manual I have is the "2015 Subaru WRX & STI Factory Service Manual," did a search for "harness" and found the non STI Engine Wiring Harness section. For me it came up in Engine 2 Section > Fuel Injection systems FU w/o STI > 10. Engine Wiring Harness
fishfangs is offline   Reply With Quote