Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday October 23, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > FA Series Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-18-2019, 10:12 AM   #1
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 198281
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Default Teaser FA20 Oil Pan

We have had many requests to design a new FA20 performance oil pan. After much debate we have decided to move forward. There are many challenges in designing an oil pan for the FA20. With the manifold wrapped around the pan find room to expand the pan is difficult.

QUESTION: What features would be most important to you in an aftermarket FA20 pan?

Pick of the OEM pans we have for testing
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2019, 10:48 AM   #2
adam99
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 480524
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
We have had many requests to design a new FA20 performance oil pan. After much debate we have decided to move forward. There are many challenges in designing an oil pan for the FA20. With the manifold wrapped around the pan find room to expand the pan is difficult.

QUESTION: What features would be most important to you in an aftermarket FA20 pan?

Its happening
adam99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:18 AM   #3
idiosyncrisia
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 448185
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
DGM

I know nothing about oiling in the FA20 system. I am on a stock block with full bolt ons. If my engine goes boom, which I hope it never does, I'll be pairing this with your pickup.

You are the self exclaimed oiling experts for Subarus, so I think a lot of the community is going to trust your judgement on whatever design you make.

Maybe in the casting by the oil fill hole, you can write "Tighten to 2 Ugga Duggas, no more." That's the only thing I can think of
idiosyncrisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:47 AM   #4
noobultimatum
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 431550
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
ALL THE STAGES

just make sure it clears well with your EWG headers.

Other than that... I'll wait for more "oil" experienced subie-bros chime in. Im still learning. My understanding of an aftermarket oil pan is extra capacity, and baffles to keep sloshing down to a min (keep the pick up covered to avoid starvation?)

How does the stock pan fare when it comes to sloshing? Is capacity an issue with stock fa pans for people who run their fa hard in different competitive conditions?
noobultimatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:41 PM   #5
RacecarWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 499928
Vehicle:
2015 WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post

Pressure, pressure, pressure.

Happy to help test if needed Chris. You know the car is setup to collect data on everything.
RacecarWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:02 PM   #6
killadawg
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 424203
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2016 WRX stg 4 Rally
STI Drivetrain GM

Drysump options? Redirected headers so a belt and drive can be installed?. :-).. option.
killadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:54 AM   #7
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 198281
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiosyncrisia View Post
I know nothing about oiling in the FA20 system. I am on a stock block with full bolt ons. If my engine goes boom, which I hope it never does, I'll be pairing this with your pickup.

You are the self exclaimed oiling experts for Subarus, so I think a lot of the community is going to trust your judgement on whatever design you make.

Maybe in the casting by the oil fill hole, you can write "Tighten to 2 Ugga Duggas, no more." That's the only thing I can think of
Thanks for the endorsement! I think that trust was earned due to the amount of R&D time we put into products, making sure the customer is not the tester.

LOL, Ugga Dugga

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobultimatum View Post
just make sure it clears well with your EWG headers.

Other than that... I'll wait for more "oil" experienced subie-bros chime in. Im still learning. My understanding of an aftermarket oil pan is extra capacity, and baffles to keep sloshing down to a min (keep the pick up covered to avoid starvation?)

How does the stock pan fare when it comes to sloshing? Is capacity an issue with stock fa pans for people who run their fa hard in different competitive conditions?
Capacity is not the issue as far as I can tell. More never hurts though

Like other Suby applications the stock stuff is generally OK-to-good up to a point. As driver experience and mods improve, the limits will typically be found.

It will definitely clear our headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacecarWRX View Post
Pressure, pressure, pressure.

Happy to help test if needed Chris. You know the car is setup to collect data on everything.
We will certainly be looking for those out there at the limits of the OEM system, and have the proper feedback capabilities; namely datalogging and telemetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by killadawg View Post
Drysump options? Redirected headers so a belt and drive can be installed?. :-).. option.
If we get to a level where we see a need for D.S. we'll explore that option. At this point, there is no need. Our High Performance Oil Control Valve for the EJs solved many high sustained (+1.8Gs) lateral loading. We only ever recommend DS on an EJ for banked oval/circle and some aviation applications (aerobatics; inverted, fixed bank, etc...). Otherwise, there is no need for the added cost, complexity and maintenance/reliability issues that go along with a DS. For the FA, the lubrication and PCV system is COMPLETELY different, so we'll see how that evolves over time as people push the platform in new and different ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam99 View Post
Its happening
Yes. Yes it is
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:25 AM   #8
noobultimatum
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 431550
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
ALL THE STAGES

Are you guys planning on doing a baffle combo as well or will it utilize the factory baffle (or whatever is in there)?
noobultimatum is offline   Reply With Quote