Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-01-2017, 01:03 PM   #1
Subie_Doo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 338489
Default Running ej253 na-t with sti ecu.

Just wondering if this has been accomplished. I was trying to use tactrix and ecuflash to tune the na ecu but was having a hell of a time since there is very little support for the na ecu so looking at this route as an option.
Subie_Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:05 PM   #2
RileyD
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 333679
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2006 STi
Crystal Gray

STi ecu is looking for two cam sensors.
Your motor only has only cam sensor. That throws a little complication in this.
RileyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:26 PM   #3
Dr.Subie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 461990
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2002 Legacy Wagon

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t120...p-n-wagon.html

Read through this thread, the OP "carbotron" goes through some detail on running his EJ253 on a 03 WRX USDM ECU.

Hope this points you in the right direction.
Dr.Subie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:23 PM   #4
Dr.Subie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 461990
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2002 Legacy Wagon

It can be done, and it has been done numerous times before. The Ej253 MY2005 has the necessary cam sprockets and crank sprocket reluctor wheel to work with the 02-03 wrx ecu (not 110% sure on previous years, Subaru like to surprise us lol). Other things that will make the swap go smoother is a EJ205 IACV/throttle body and the MAP (only the map sensor is needed if you reflash with the Carberry ROM- strictly speed density...)

Goodluck with the swap, im glad to see someone else open source swapping a 253/251!!
Dr.Subie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:55 AM   #5
Subie_Doo
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies.

Dr.Subie: i actually remember reading into that when i was gonna ecu swap my SF. Theres another thread thats more of a (diy:wrx ecu swap)how-to on rs25. Im not sure why but i totally forgot about it until you posted that link. Guess ill have to re-read it again

Just wondering if anyone knows if ill run into complications getting emissions done? Not really regarding the CEL but more if when they plug into the ecu and see that the ecu and car does not match up
Old 02-11-2017, 08:58 AM   #6
Subie_Doo
Scooby Newbie

Also i think i wanted to go with the sti ecu vs the wrx because the 2.0 vs 2.5 but im thinking now it wont matter too much
Old 02-11-2017, 09:02 AM   #7
Subie_Doo
Scooby Newbie

And one more thing. This is going into an 05 forester with dbw. I think most wrx/sti came with dbw in 04-05.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:35 PM   #8
Subie_Doo
Scooby Newbie

So i looked into the ecu wiring diagram pinouts and it seems the 05 forester,xt, even sti have a very similar ecu pinout with very little changes.

Plans now will be:
1. Xt ecu swap. Will have to be an 04 ecu because they came without immobilizer. Will have to add a few wires for some parts not on the NA forester.

Or

2. Get an 05 sti ecu with immbolizer, ignition and keys. Will have to add wires for parts that aren't on the NA forester.