Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday June 27, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-24-2017, 03:06 PM   #126
terrainasaurus
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 464727
Vehicle:
2008 Outback Sport
OBP/DGM 2-tone

A downside that postpones any modding for me is that you can spend as much to be as fast, maybe a little faster! Than an sti... but in the end you won't have the platform to take it as far. Still I find there is great sentimental value in mastering that which you already have. In some of our cases, our dd is all we have, and we have grown to love them so much.
terrainasaurus is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2017, 10:12 PM   #127
terrainasaurus
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 Outback Sport
OBP/DGM 2-tone

But, I rejoice.

I've decided to order a set of konig hypergrams. Recently, indecision has had the best of me in whether or not to order wheels for the 5x100 n/a hubs, or to order tires for my stockers so that I could buy wheels in 5x114 for when I do a 6MT swap followed by swapping in an ej257.
*plus, my grandfather (along with everyone else) keeps bugging me with "When are you going to get new wheels!?" (I'm on steelies, and have been since I bought this car in Feb).

The sti swap may be great, but I know very little about the platform I have now, and the mechanics of cars in general. I'm a great parts changer! But for technicalities I am just getting started. I think the best I can do is learn what I can from the vehicle that I have.

Very exciting, lol.

These. They come in Opal Red as well as Bronze. Not too sold on the bronze or the opal red, and I figure the gunmetal is a good medium, leaving them the best color option for resale. Can always powdercoat them, too. And the 17x8 only weigh 16.3lbs!!!

Last edited by terrainasaurus; Yesterday at 12:27 AM.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:28 PM   #128
Garret 2010i
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 355661
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2010 Impreza 2.5i
WR Blue

very nice!
Garret 2010i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:35 PM   #129
terrainasaurus
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 Outback Sport
OBP/DGM 2-tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garret 2010i View Post
very nice!
Garret, do you know how much each one of your wheels weighs naked(without the tire)?

I've been curious to know how playing with different combos of wheel and tiresets would affect numbers on a chassis dyno...

Some would argue that 5 or 7lbs difference in weight difference wouldn't matter. Some would say there's a significant impact. I'm one of the 'significant impacters'.

One guy even went as far as to tell me that 'real racers don't worry about wheel weight'. Pretty laughable, considering I raced motocross for close to a decade. I know about weight, let me tell you in full gear, ESPECIALLY when you have to use a port-o-potty at a race in between motos in 90 degree weather IN FULL GEAR. Lol. There's a reason a number of XC trail bike racers have acquired the title 'weight weenies'. Also a nickname that goes for any other person in any sport or activity involving weight.

When it comes to our n/a's I would say weight plays a huge role, where every inch is mile.

Last edited by terrainasaurus; 06-25-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:50 PM   #130
Charlie-III
Scooby Guru

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrainasaurus View Post
Garret, do you know how much each one of your wheels weighs naked(without the tire)?

I've been curious to know how playing with different combos of wheel and tiresets would affect numbers on a chassis dyno...

Some would argue that 5 or 7lbs difference in weight difference wouldn't matter. Some would say there's a significant impact. I'm one of the 'significant impacters'.

One guy even went as far as to tell me that 'real racers don't worry about wheel weight'. Pretty laughable, considering I raced motocross for close to a decade. I know about weight, let me tell you in full gear, ESPECIALLY when you have to use a port-o-potty at a race in between motos in 90 degree weather IN FULL GEAR. Lol. There's a reason a number of XC trail bike racers have acquired the title 'weight weenies'. Also a nickname that goes for any other person in any sport or activity involving weight.

When it comes to our n/a's I would say weight plays a huge role, where every inch is mile.
Weight in the wheels not only changes acceleration, but how the suspension deals with road bumps. Lighter is better in both cases.
If weight was not an issue, then why do peeps (like me) buy lightweight flywheels and pulleys?
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:06 AM   #131
Garret 2010i
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 355661
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2010 Impreza 2.5i
WR Blue

im not totally sure the weight... i know there not nearly as light as your wheels are.
and yes yes yes go light weight as much as you can. the 2.5i impreza is a pig compared to the older models. i've got light weight pulleys too, the rev increase was noticeable. guys also forget that the sti has an aluminum drive shaft. i'm pretty sure it could bolt up under our cars too **of im wrong here some one let me know**. i'd like to do some carbon fibre body parts too some day.
Garret 2010i is offline   Reply With Quote