Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday March 6, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-21-2020, 11:47 PM   #1
Noturboneeded
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 423982
Default Exterior Driver Door Handle

I have a 2005 Legacy GT and all but one of my exterior door handles (and one of the interior) are broken. I've been climbing through the passenger door for a couple months now, but I finally decided to replace some of the handles today for fear that the passenger one would break and I would really be in trouble. I got through one of the rear handles fairly easily in a couple hours, but I've run into a couple of problems and I was hoping some of you had done this and could possibly offer some guidance.

First question is fairly simple, on my rear driver side door, both the exterior and interior handles are broken so I'm not sure how to open the door to remove the door card and replace the handle assembly. Is there a simple way to open a door like this?

Second question is in regards to the front driver door handle. I got the old assembly out and placed the new one in without too much trouble, but one of the rod clips is a nightmare. I have the lock rod in place, however the latch rod clip does not seem big enough to go around the rod. I've struggled for a while now and even tried to melt it a little and spread the clip apart with a screwdriver, but the rod just refuses to get clipped in. Have any of you done this replacement and experienced anything similar?
Noturboneeded is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2020, 10:50 AM   #2
Unabomber
👏 Big Ron 👏

Member#: 18062
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

Have you watched youtube videos? I watched many of them in preparation for swapping the handles on my WRX. While many of the videos were NOT about the WRX or Impreza at all, I got a lot of confidence and knowledge that carried over from say Outback videos.

To your question, you should likely start with removing the interior door cards. This should allow access to the guts and SHOULD be able to be done with a closed door. From there, you should be able to remove the interior handle/open the door from the inside. I think this is best done with the window up but I'm sure a youtube video will tell best as I forget.

Clips are tricky and its amazing how such a crappy thing works so well when it does, but clipping things in is rough. I never had issues with my rods going into the clips. I would not try heat or prying but lube...silicone maybe. Or even a small handed friend....find you a Filipino girlfriend!
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote