Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday March 6, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-17-2021, 12:55 AM   #1
V8 Sonoma GT
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 374106
Vehicle:
05 92-X Aero

Default Bad turbo, or..??..??

Hate to make a new post. But I've had no luck so far searching.

First fire up since new head gaskets. '05 ej205. White smoke from tail pipe see;
, and fluid coming out of driver side manifold at the head.

Im 90% sure that it was Oil that was dripping out of the manifold (and not mixed with coolant), I caught some :

For reference, I caught some coolant when I pulled turbo. Pictured on same surface, only on reverse side

Still can't smell due to Covid. so I'm not 100% sure.
Seeing as I have just done the head gaskets, I am ruling that out. I will confirm tomorrow with a compression test (pending i can find that tester) that its not a ringland failure, or hole in piston. I highly doubt this as it was making full boost when I parked it to do the head gaskets.

Anyways, pulled the I/C and this is what it looked like

SO....I pulled the turbo expecting problems. Because maybe I didn't remember correctly that I checked for shaft play during reassembly this time. But, I did remember correct, absolutely zero shaft play. And I pulled the turbo and I/C and driver side manifold all within an hour of turning it off...And could not find any evidence of fluid. It could have all burned, but I wasnt racing the thing, it was just idling for about 5 min. It didnt gwt that hot. Hell, I pulled the turbo by hand.
Motor was completely dry of fluid for the duration of the head gaskets project. I ran water thru turbo once out of car, and I saw no evidence on hot side of a crack allowing coolant thru. So im at a loss here.... any help would be appreciated.

FYI:
Heads, are new to this car, no cracks to the valve seat. Pressure tested. Resurfaced
Full timing set from Ashin including water pump
Street pro cometic head gaskets
V8 Sonoma GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2021, 01:33 AM   #2
V8 Sonoma GT
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
05 92-X Aero

If youre still reading at this point, I'll throw out my background, Diag, and other info.

Background, I've built 2 motors on this car before. First was when I first got the thing...bought in NJ driving cross country to CO, HG failed in Kansas, and spun a rod bearing. Second was wrist pin slipped out of rod bearing and came loose from piston..Rod trashed that cylinder. So..Third motor.. Car is at 170k, 40k since last build. My ex got the car in the divorce. She got a new car and parked the saabaru for a number of months. Then decided one day to start driving it again without checking anything on it. Overheated it. Allegedly was taking one of our kids somewhere and couldnt stop, so she let it "cool down some" then kept driving, at "hot temps" (yes, I put an actual temp gauge in it after hg the first time).

So on to DIAG: Overheating..was low on coolant. filled/purged system. seems to be fine. drove it for an hour. The last 5 mins, I really ran it hard..Full boost pulls up a mountain. No knock, nothing out of normal. Got home, let it cool down, and thats when the big white cloud started. I assumed turbo first..But most all of the coolant was gone. And when tearing down found no shaft play on turbo. When I pulling LH head, saw actual pooling of coolant in the cylinder front. The cylinder walls/ jacket was fine.

Other info: initally I thought there was a massive leak inside the uppipe, but later found the turbo coolant return line to be leaking when i pulled the turbo.

Also; I didnt have the vac line to wastegate actuator hooked up. It broke in the removal process. as did some other vac stuff in the front of the motor attached to some little valve i believe is part of the emissions crap. I found it at one point in the manuals. But I'm far to tired to go find the name of it.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:23 PM   #3
Markopolo400
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 452996

I'd start with the obvious compression and leak down tests and go from there.
Markopolo400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 05:36 PM   #4
V8 Sonoma GT
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
05 92-X Aero

90 on all 4. def not great. but consistent.

my apprentice borrowed the air compressor. cant do leak down at the moment oh well its snowing now.