Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 2, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-21-2020, 11:05 PM   #26
wrxchitown
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 185520
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2015 Sti launch
Blue

i ended up ordering a BCP X500+ EWG setup. Ill post up my thoughts once I get it installed and tuned.
wrxchitown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2020, 05:35 PM   #27
Gab0
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 420009

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxchitown View Post
i ended up ordering a BCP X500+ EWG setup. Ill post up my thoughts once I get it installed and tuned.
Here you go.....

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthre...on-264090.html
Gab0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:22 AM   #28
wrxchitown
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 Sti launch
Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab0 View Post
yeah I read that thread. A bit different than what my setup will be but gives a little bit of a comparison between the x500 and x500+.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:32 AM   #29
wrxchitown
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 Sti launch
Blue

Just a quick update. I still haven't received my Grimmspeed EWG up pipe. As of now I have the turbo installed with stock headers running on ACN91. The tune is pretty conservative (18PSI) now since I am working through some fueling issues. I think my brand new AEM fuel pump might be bad. unfortunately I just filled the tank so I need to burn off some fuel before I swap the pump. With that being said I am happy with the spool on this thing so far. I am seeing 18 PSI in 3rd by 4100 and in 4th by 3650. Im excited to see what happens once I get the Holy Headers, EWG, and E85.
Old 07-24-2020, 05:39 PM   #30
Jarky
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 338117
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
PBP

Quote:
Just a quick update. I still haven't received my Grimmspeed EWG up pipe. As of now I have the turbo installed with stock headers running on ACN91. The tune is pretty conservative (18PSI) now since I am working through some fueling issues. I think my brand new AEM fuel pump might be bad. unfortunately I just filled the tank so I need to burn off some fuel before I swap the pump. With that being said I am happy with the spool on this thing so far. I am seeing 18 PSI in 3rd by 4100 and in 4th by 3650. Im excited to see what happens once I get the Holy Headers, EWG, and E85.

I am sorry to hear about the fuel pump issue. I went through 2 AEM pumps before switching to dw. The aem wouldnt hold pressure under boost. Hopefully you have it sorted out by now.
Jarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:07 PM   #31
wrxchitown
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 Sti launch
Blue

It seems that the pump is good but the extra flow is causing back pressure in the return line I'm guessing the problem is at the Venturi jet valve. I have tested the base pressure and it holds steady at 45 PSI (Vacuum line disconnected) when I have the fuel being dumped straight from the return line of the FPR going into a gas can. When I hook the line back up to the firewall the pressure jumps up to over 50 PSI. Then when I do a pull it starts around 50 PSI and slowly drops to 45 PSI(base) as revs and load increases. I'll hopefully get a radium fuel hanger and get everything dialed in soon.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:43 AM   #32
dukesilverGD7
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 514856
Vehicle:
2007 Subaru STi ltd
urban grey metalic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unabomber View Post
My biggest beef with FP is their odd inlet sizing. You can bolt up a XXXX Turbo to a stock or aftermarket inlet. FP's are oddballs. Can you stretch to fit or do you buy their specific inlet which is not backwards compatible...so once you go FP inlet you are stuck with. I don't like that considering the cost and install drama. I chewed on this for a few weeks and went Blouch mainly over the inlet issue.
i bought the perrin inlet and the fp blue with the normal compressor housing and it fits like a glove when i test fitted it.
dukesilverGD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:04 PM   #33
Marvick08GT
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 469091

I was the one who tested the x500 and x500+. Both turbos are great and sound incredible, the x500 ended up staying on the car, it is still running right now. I am currently building a flex fuel Dom 1.5xtr for my spec B.

Those turbos are great, but came down to me wanting DBB and I live a couple of hours from Blouch. Also, the eliminator turbos sound incredibly unique.
Good luck on the build, I stayed IWG, way too loud for the kids
Marvick08GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:23 PM   #34
uShawn
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 329514
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Limited 5DR
Dark Metallic Grey

Default FP Blue Dyno Results for Posterity

Understand OP already pulled the trigger on a turbo, but posting my FP Blue dyno results for the next guy asking the same question re FP Blue.

2013 WRX Hatch.
IAG Stage 2 TUFF shortblock.
ID1050X injectors, AEM320LPH fuel pump.
FP Blue, Grimmspeed TMIC.
Competition Clutch Stage 3 Ceramic clutch.

Pro tune is limited to these numbers mainly because of stock 5-speed.

uShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:18 PM   #35
Haevn
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 495950
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by uShawn View Post
Understand OP already pulled the trigger on a turbo, but posting my FP Blue dyno results for the next guy asking the same question re FP Blue.

2013 WRX Hatch.
IAG Stage 2 TUFF shortblock.
ID1050X injectors, AEM320LPH fuel pump.
FP Blue, Grimmspeed TMIC.
Competition Clutch Stage 3 Ceramic clutch.

Pro tune is limited to these numbers mainly because of stock 5-speed.

looks good, im going in sept when it starts to cool off to go on dyno with the fp blue, but right now my tuner has me at 22lbs lol
Haevn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:17 PM   #36
wrxchitown
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 Sti launch
Blue

Its been a while so thought I should post an update. Clutch isn't holding power so the quest for power has been halted. I purchased an ACT Extreme duty performance street clutch(SB10-xtss) should be installed next Thursday. Then I will have to put some miles on it before I can get back to tuning. So far I am pretty impressed with the performance of this turbo. Still pretty conservative on the timing but its building boost relatively early and holding pretty good to redline. In 4th I get full boost (25.5 PSI) by 3700 RPM drops to 25 at 5000 and tapers to 24 at redline. With the clutch slipping down low I have no idea how much torque its making down low but I'm logging around 400-410 WHP at redline according to virtual dyno. After I get the clutch broken in and the road tuning where I want it I'm planning on going to a local dyno to get "real" numbers.

Last edited by wrxchitown; 08-27-2020 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:17 AM   #37
michav717
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 151736

I have a comp turbo ctrx stage one. Itís almost identical to a 1.5Xtr. Iím at 455whp and 475TQ. I called comp and they gave me a crazy good deal when I told em I was deciding between this and a dom 1.5. The spool is great too
michav717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 07:39 AM   #38
heiche
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 400179
Vehicle:
2009 wrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by michav717 View Post
I have a comp turbo ctrx stage one. It's almost identical to a 1.5Xtr. I'm at 455whp and 475TQ. I called comp and they gave me a crazy good deal when I told em I was deciding between this and a dom 1.5. The spool is great too

Cool! Are you seeing that power on 93 oct, e85, other? Do you have dyno results? what rpm do you see full boost?
heiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 01:07 PM   #39
idntvpe
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 521263
Default FP Blue

Quote:
Looking to upgrade from my stock turbo to something bigger. Hoping to get close to 450WHP with descent power below 4000 rpm on e85. Iíve read countless reviews and dynos with the dom 1.5 but canít find much on the FP blue. It seems like with the dom 1.5 I should expect 375-425 WHP. I saw the Jr tuned FP blue hitting over 500WHP on e85 but not sure if that is normal for this turbo, a high reading dyno, or just perfect scenario pushed to the limit. Iíve also noticed most people running the blue have an EWG. Iíd prefer staying IWG if possible to keep it quite. I guess my question is 1. will the blue put down more top end power without giving up a ton of spool(+25-50HP and 200-300rpm later spool)? 2. How much of a difference will running the EWG make?

My build:
2015 sti
Killer b ELH, ID1300, iag fuel line kit with aeromotive FPR, iag tgv deletes, iag fuel rails, AEM 340 fuel pump, grimspeed TMIC, Cobb sf intake with box, Cobb flex fuel kit.
Kind of late to the thread but I just had my fp blue tuned.
Mods:
AEM 340 pump
FPR
3 port boost solenoid
Flex fuel
1050 cc injectors
Access port
Intake
Ets tmic
Tgv deletes
EL headers
Up pipe
38 mm ewg
Fp blue
Catless down pipe
Cat-back
Exhaust is wrapped all the way to down pipe
Turbo blanket
Cobb Heat shield
E85 at 16 psi: 340/330 tq
At 21 psi: 401/387 tq
93 at 14 psi: 304/280 tq
93 at 19 psi: 347/330 tq
Low torque at my request.
My tuner said we could have made 20whp more but I didnt want more than 400. He said we would run out of injectors around 420. You have 1300ccís, so I suppose with a similar set up you could reach 450ís.
Response: I canít tell the difference between the stock turbo and this one. In fact, he tuned it to be smooth. Low rpm response is far superior than the previous tune with the stock turbo. The ewg helped a lot as well (reducing back pressure with the small housing this turbo has). The noise is actually cool and it is non existent if you are not above 3500 rpm and WOT. I am very happy with it. There, my 2 cents.
idntvpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:42 PM   #40
K3rm1tth3fr0g
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 508105
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon VF39
Midnight Black Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru_gc8 View Post
lag is really not a big deal. you are slitting hairs even if you can spool 300 faster... which is a good amount, youre going to have to down shift anyways. to be honest, if you are goint o push your 4 banger, downshifting is going to have to happen anyways. the biggest problem that I see with alot of the stock location turbos is they all have small turbine housings, which limits the efficeincy of the turbo in the first place. so even if you get a 10cm which is really as big as they get, your going to be choking the turbo on the top end ie thr reason why they all drop off at 6500 when you should be able to mka power all they way to redline.. So my suggestions i just go rotated or spoolinator and get a 82 ar and call it a day. youll make more power.

so getting back to lag.. if you dont want lag, do a h6 build, or sell your sti and get something with a v6 turbo. Instead of trying to make your car into something that it is not

Listen to subaru_gc8
K3rm1tth3fr0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 05:03 PM   #41
PraetorianGuard
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 230273
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Hatch
OBP Yimi Tuned Stage 2+

This is such a good thread. I just got my car smogged and back on the road after a motor rebuild. Still breaking in the new motor. It's was an '09 WRX that was basic stage 2, broke a piston, and then I sent it out to Element Tuning for a rebuild. Working with Torqued Performance now on a remote tune.

Engine:
Element Tuning Closed Deck EJ25 CNC Billet Inserts
Element Tuning Bore and Hone for Closed Deck Block with 99.75 pistons
Element Tuning Manley Forged Race Pistons Custom
Element Tuning H Beam 4340 Forged Rod STi
Element Tuning Big Valve STi Heads:
+1 mm Stainless Intake and Inconel Exhaust Valves
Head Port Blended into Seat
Element Competition Valve Springs
Brian Crower 272 AVCS Cams for 04-07 STi
ARP Head Studs
2008 Subaru STi 11mm Oil Pump Modded
Killer B Ultimate Oil Pan, Pickup, and Windage Tray
Custom Dyno Tune - Yimi Sport
Cobb Catted Downpipe
Cobb SF Intake / Airbox Kit
Cobb EBCS
Grimmspeed Turbo Heat Shield

Drivetrain:
Element Tuning Clutch Masters STG3 Kevlar Clutch
ACT WRX Street Light Flywheel
Group N Transmission Mount
Group N Motor Mounts
Kartboy Front & Rear Stay Bushings
TiC Linkage & Pivot Bushings
Circuit Motorsports Clutch Master Cylinder Brace
2015 Sti Steering Rack
Super Pro Steering Rack Bushings
SPT Short Shifter

Currently on an old open source tune, but after speaking with Eric at TP, I've got an AP on order. I'm thinking first step after motor breakin is a Grimmspeed TMIC + Cobb flex fuel on the stock turbo. After that would be choosing a bolt-on turbo. Like Jarky I'm in CA and have to keep the engine bay as stealth as possible. Currently leaning toward Dom 1.5XTR w/10cm.
PraetorianGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:45 PM   #42
PraetorianGuard
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 230273
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Hatch
OBP Yimi Tuned Stage 2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarky View Post
I dont have any experience with the FP blue but here is a dyno sheet for my Flex Fuel Dom 1.5 xtr 10cm build. It feels plenty of pep down low and doesnt fall too much up top.

Open Deck

Forged CP pistons 99.75
Forged Rods
Sti Crank
+1 Intake/Exh Valves
Mild Port
GSC S1 Cam

Fullrace ELH
AEM Intake
Grimspeed TMIC
TGV Delete
Fullrace ELH
DW300
ID1300
3 Port EBCS
3" catted DP

Have you gotten any grief at smog for the TMIC or ELH? Are you running an AOS? I realize TMIC is technically smog legal but I've heard people get failed for them anyway. The Mishimoto TMIC is attractive because it comes with a CARB sticker. If I get the Grimmspeed, I may just grind the logo off and paint the endtanks to make it look more like OEM.
PraetorianGuard is offline   Reply With Quote