Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday February 25, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2019, 05:10 AM   #7326
SoapBox
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 204578
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: I'll see myself out
Default

Digging the WRG4s. Snow performance was at least on par with our previous PA3s. Not sure I'd buy performance winters again for a handful of snow days a year.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
SoapBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:50 AM   #7327
Chas2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 486914
Join Date: Jun 2018
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoapBox View Post
Digging the WRG4s. Snow performance was at least on par with our previous PA3s. Not sure I'd buy performance winters again for a handful of snow days a year.
Just out of curiosity what would urgent instead?

Thanks
Chas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:10 PM   #7328
SoapBox
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 204578
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: I'll see myself out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas2 View Post
Just out of curiosity what would urgent instead?
Thanks
Don't follow...?

What would I get? The WRG4s. I'm feeling there just about as good as performance winters. And they behave/ride/wear like all seasons.

So they're less of a compromise everyday when 95% chance of no snow...and they keep the family safe.

One way I think about it is I can run them only in the winter, and not worry about changing over too early or too late in the season, or I can just leave them on all year. The other thing is, with two cars in the mix, do both really need dedicated winters? Or can these serve as a great option for one car, while the other gets dedicated tires...

I'll let this winter play out... but after many years of running DWSs as a compromise for winter traction, I think I'd prefer these. Cheaper and a good bit better in the snow.

Last edited by SoapBox; 01-14-2019 at 12:18 PM.
SoapBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:32 PM   #7329
eFXT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 496298
Join Date: Jan 2019
Default The Winter Tire thread- all winter tire questions go here !!!

Hi. Can anyone assist with a tire question I have? Does anyone know or have experience if winter tires size 215 70 r16 will fit on a 2011 Forester without any modifications? Will there be any rubbing? TIA.
eFXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:22 PM   #7330
left footed whooten
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 44652
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Truckee, CA
Vehicle:
16 Colorado diesel
ATC Bobcat Pop-up

Default

You might be okay, but google a tire size calculator to see the difference in overall diameter. youre 225 65 16 stock? 17?
left footed whooten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:25 PM   #7331
left footed whooten
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 44652
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Truckee, CA
Vehicle:
16 Colorado diesel
ATC Bobcat Pop-up

Default

Shot in the dark here, but I figure theres folks on here with trucks too, whos using what snow tire (not AT) on their pickups/light trucks?
Im running general grabber arctic LT and theyre wearing out. They were good the first season, but didnt hold their qualities as they wore. Thinking about trying the LT version of the goodyear ugiwrt, michelin ltx winter, or the nokian lt2. Anybody have experience with any of these? Ive had 2 sets of the goodyears on subys with great results but I need to go 10 ply, e rated
left footed whooten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:37 PM   #7332
eFXT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 496298
Join Date: Jan 2019
Default

Yes, my stock wheels are 17" (225 55 R17).
eFXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:38 PM   #7333
eFXT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 496298
Join Date: Jan 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by left footed whooten View Post
You might be okay, but google a tire size calculator to see the difference in overall diameter. youre 225 65 16 stock? 17?
Yes, my stock wheels are 17" (225 55 R17).
eFXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:34 PM   #7334
Blktrax
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 220971
Join Date: Aug 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: NC
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by left footed whooten View Post
Shot in the dark here, but I figure theres folks on here with trucks too, whos using what snow tire (not AT) on their pickups/light trucks?
Im running general grabber arctic LT and theyre wearing out. They were good the first season, but didnt hold their qualities as they wore. Thinking about trying the LT version of the goodyear ugiwrt, michelin ltx winter, or the nokian lt2. Anybody have experience with any of these? Ive had 2 sets of the goodyears on subys with great results but I need to go 10 ply, e rated
BFG K02 unless you truly need a snow tire. Had a set on my '17 Tacoma put 12k miles on them and they were still 10/32 when I traded it. Incredible wear life LT265/70-17's, Worked great in deep snow, but mine was also the Off-Road with electric rear locker. Second best tire per cost I've seen are the Cooper's with the option to stud the tires.
Blktrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:37 AM   #7335
left footed whooten
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 44652
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Truckee, CA
Vehicle:
16 Colorado diesel
ATC Bobcat Pop-up

Default

Yeah, I need winter tires, not AT. No studs. Modern tires have all but left studs behind, havent studded in 18 years! It snows a lot here.

Not very yippie pleased with the Grabber Arctics, but they were adequate and good for the price. Im going top shelf this time. Damn diesel has enough torque to make traction more of an issue.
left footed whooten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:42 AM   #7336
left footed whooten
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 44652
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Truckee, CA
Vehicle:
16 Colorado diesel
ATC Bobcat Pop-up

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eFXT View Post
Yes, my stock wheels are 17" (225 55 R17).
I dont think so, those are big tires, 1.2" more OD than stock. I doubt theyd fit.
https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Youd likely rub the strut towers if not more, and the fore end of the rear wheelwell is likely.

Last edited by left footed whooten; 01-19-2019 at 11:42 AM.
left footed whooten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:58 AM   #7337
Blktrax
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 220971
Join Date: Aug 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: NC
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by left footed whooten View Post
Yeah, I need winter tires, not AT. No studs. Modern tires have all but left studs behind, havent studded in 18 years! It snows a lot here.

Not very yippie pleased with the Grabber Arctics, but they were adequate and good for the price. Im going top shelf this time. Damn diesel has enough torque to make traction more of an issue.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...rer+S%2FT+Maxx

Cooper S/T Maxx

These are what I see on most of the power companyís single rear wheel trucks; and common on contractor plow trucks.

Around here there are aggressive elevation changes and constantly shaded areas that donít melt and refreeze for days. Iíve got general Altimaís 12 studs on the wifeís Impreza due to her not being a momentum driver. So far my Blizzak WS80ís havenít had any issues on the Crosstrek.

Last edited by Blktrax; 01-19-2019 at 08:05 AM.
Blktrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:40 AM   #7338
left footed whooten
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 44652
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Truckee, CA
Vehicle:
16 Colorado diesel
ATC Bobcat Pop-up

Default

Thanks, but im after a proper winter tire. Those have stud holes, but no sipes and a more universal compound. They are more on par with the Falken wildpeak at3w, a winter-leaning AT tire. Studs dont fly around here, theyre illegal after and before certain months and snow extends before and after those dates. Stud holes do not a winter tire make.

Im curious about anyones experience with some of these winter tires, the Goodyear UGILT, the Nokian LT2, and the Michelin LTX Winter.
left footed whooten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:09 PM   #7339
SirBrass
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207263
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Indianapolis area
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by left footed whooten View Post
Thanks, but im after a proper winter tire. Those have stud holes, but no sipes and a more universal compound. They are more on par with the Falken wildpeak at3w, a winter-leaning AT tire. Studs dont fly around here, theyre illegal after and before certain months and snow extends before and after those dates. Stud holes do not a winter tire make.

Im curious about anyones experience with some of these winter tires, the Goodyear UGILT, the Nokian LT2, and the Michelin LTX Winter.
Nokians are almost all excellent. Not sure which Nokians we have on the Outback but they are a Nokian studless ice & snow tire and they've plowed through a foot of unplowed driveway snow on a 2.5i outback (so the front of the car was plowing snow) before and gripped just fine.
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:00 AM   #7340
phivealive
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 496692
Join Date: Jan 2019
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Provo, UT
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
WR Blue Pearl

Default

How much would you pay for used winter tires (Bridgestone Blizzak) on 17" WRX wheels? Seller claims they've only been used for 1 season and is asking for $700. Which seems fair? I think? I've never had to buy winter tires before, but looking at new wheels & tires seems to be about $1,000, and that's a lot.
phivealive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:58 PM   #7341
left footed whooten
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 44652
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Truckee, CA
Vehicle:
16 Colorado diesel
ATC Bobcat Pop-up

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
Nokians are almost all excellent. Not sure which Nokians we have on the Outback but they are a Nokian studless ice & snow tire and they've plowed through a foot of unplowed driveway snow on a 2.5i outback (so the front of the car was plowing snow) before and gripped just fine.
Yeah ive had hakkas before and they were excellent of course. They only make the one LT tire though. I dont think many folks use them, and I think its a new model too, the LT2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phivealive View Post
How much would you pay for used winter tires (Bridgestone Blizzak) on 17" WRX wheels? Seller claims they've only been used for 1 season and is asking for $700. Which seems fair? I think? I've never had to buy winter tires before, but looking at new wheels & tires seems to be about $1,000, and that's a lot.
That seems steep. You can do better than that deal. and which blizzaks? ws? lm?
Id offer him 600 tops, ws's use most of their super compound in the first winter or two. Make sure the date codes check out.
left footed whooten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:57 AM   #7342
SubLGT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207528
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Idaho
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT

Default

SubLGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:45 PM   #7343
KaioKenny
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 492969
Join Date: Oct 2018
Default Tire Pressure Settings for Michelin Xi3

year:2016
make:Subaru
model:Wrx
location:Ohio
Current Tires: Michelin X-ice XI3

Im recently just bought a set of Michelin Xi3s for a pretty decent price for my 16 wrx. I know what the manual says about tire pressure settings for the vehicle, and I usually fill my tires with a -1psi difference in the rear as compared to the front, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips on tire pressure settings running these tires? Due to the weight in the front, those tires seem to be making more contact and getting better traction, while my rear ones are making less and will spin out before the front ones do. Also thinking about adding a little weight in my trunk to even it out a bit.
KaioKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:18 PM   #7344
JRowland
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 454620
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Maggie Valley, NC
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaioKenny View Post
year:2016
make:Subaru
model:Wrx
location:Ohio
Current Tires: Michelin X-ice XI3

Im recently just bought a set of Michelin Xi3s for a pretty decent price for my 16 wrx. I know what the manual says about tire pressure settings for the vehicle, and I usually fill my tires with a -1psi difference in the rear as compared to the front, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips on tire pressure settings running these tires? Due to the weight in the front, those tires seem to be making more contact and getting better traction, while my rear ones are making less and will spin out before the front ones do. Also thinking about adding a little weight in my trunk to even it out a bit.
Actually our manual is one of the better for describing proper tire pressure in that it states "If the tire placard shows tire pressures for the vehicle when fully loaded, adjust the
tire pressures to the values that match current loading conditions". I'm almost always alone in the car or have one passenger. Rarely am I fully loaded so rarely do I run 33 psi front and 32 psi rear. I have no abnormal wear running 29 and 28 psi and the ride is better. I've not chalked my tires on this car but you can do that easily and find the happy spot. Be careful with your idea of weighting the rear, my personal experience with that thinking taught me about the pendulum effect. In a straight line that weight helps, but when the rear does start to step out it becomes very hard to control because of that weight.
JRowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:58 PM   #7345
SubLGT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207528
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Idaho
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubLGT View Post
Another new winter tire has been announced, this time by Continental: the studless VikingContact 7. It was released last year on the European market, and will now be available in North America. I read that it will replace the WinterContactSI.

https://www.continental-tires.com/ca...ikingcontact-7
SubLGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:00 PM   #7346
desmoface1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 497586
Join Date: Feb 2019
Default

Hello everyone,

So my wife has decided a new wrx is in our future, which isn't a bad thing. I live in NE Ohio, so we get snow, sometimes lots of it. I've been researching snow tires and the Nokian R3 has caught my attention as one of the best, maybe?

My wife wants to buy some good all-seasons and call it a day, maybe a Continental DWS06, as it's a bit of a pita to swap tires twice a year. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve

Last edited by desmoface1; 02-10-2019 at 12:10 PM.
desmoface1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:40 PM   #7347
the_saintusa
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 171486
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Hiding from The Google
Vehicle:
2019 911 GTS
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmoface1 View Post
Hello everyone,

So my wife has decided a new wrx is in our future, which isn't a bad thing. I live in NE Ohio, so we get snow, sometimes lots of it. I've been researching snow tires and the Nokian R3 has caught my attention as one of the best, maybe?

My wife wants to buy some good all-seasons and call it a day, maybe a Continental DWS06, as it's a bit of a pita to swap tires twice a year. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve

Have the Nokian R2s on my STi and the Nokian R3 on the Mercedes E63.

Both are EXCELLENT winter tires.

Previous had the X-ice 2 on the STi. The R2 seem to be better in slush, and on ice. Similar to the Michelin in all other conditions.

The Nokian R3 seem to be better on ice than the R2 (despite a MUCH heavier car) and similar ot the R2 otherwise.

Having lived in NE Ohio for 2 years winter tires make all the difference. I had Michelins on a Nissan Sentra at the time and it had no issue driving on the snow covered left lanes of the interstates after a heavy snow fall. Never got stuck, and went around many SUVs stuck spinning their AWD all seasons.

The slush that NE Ohio gets definitely warranted winter tires in my mind.
the_saintusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:56 PM   #7348
desmoface1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 497586
Join Date: Feb 2019
Default

Thanks for the advice. I'm in the snow tire camp, the wife wants all seasons...I explained that it's a compromise. She's now looking at the conti dws 06's...wimins

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_saintusa View Post
Have the Nokian R2s on my STi and the Nokian R3 on the Mercedes E63.

Both are EXCELLENT winter tires.

Previous had the X-ice 2 on the STi. The R2 seem to be better in slush, and on ice. Similar to the Michelin in all other conditions.

The Nokian R3 seem to be better on ice than the R2 (despite a MUCH heavier car) and similar ot the R2 otherwise.

Having lived in NE Ohio for 2 years winter tires make all the difference. I had Michelins on a Nissan Sentra at the time and it had no issue driving on the snow covered left lanes of the interstates after a heavy snow fall. Never got stuck, and went around many SUVs stuck spinning their AWD all seasons.

The slush that NE Ohio gets definitely warranted winter tires in my mind.
desmoface1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:56 PM   #7349
left footed whooten
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 44652
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Truckee, CA
Vehicle:
16 Colorado diesel
ATC Bobcat Pop-up

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmoface1 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I'm in the snow tire camp, the wife wants all seasons...I explained that it's a compromise. She's now looking at the conti dws 06's...wimins
Get her some goodyear UGIWRT, great snows and she wont know the difference between AS, they drive well in the dry. Great in snow conditions, ran 2 sets.
left footed whooten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:37 PM   #7350
left footed whooten
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 44652
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Truckee, CA
Vehicle:
16 Colorado diesel
ATC Bobcat Pop-up

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubLGT View Post
Curious about these and the new blizzak LT, finally an improvement or the 965 or whatever number it is. For an E rated LT tire its nice to finally see an update there.

Not stoked on the General Grabber Arctic LT's I got, but they more than lived up to their low price tag. Should have gone with E rated Altimax arctic instead. Looking to move on up, top shelf. Michelin LTX winter, Nokian LT2, Blizzak LT, Goodyear UGILT.

I miss my wintertime subaru traction action.

Gonna bite the bullet and get a set of takeoffs or method 701 in 16" with AT for the summer, KO2's.
left footed whooten is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This here is the Android OS thread. All phones, news, general info welcome. under pressure Off-Topic 10849 12-13-2011 11:10 PM
WTB: Winter wheels/ or All season tires on wheels, or just all season tires! Robstunner MWSOC Private Classifieds 0 10-29-2009 12:42 PM
Winter Tires vs. All Season Tires wrx425 Tire & Wheel 22 01-16-2009 12:34 AM
same tire thread all around for AWD? MystikalDawn Newbies & FAQs 6 10-15-2008 12:28 PM
Anybody get tired of all your mods and go back to stock or somewhere in between?? Farnsrocket Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo) 31 09-11-2007 11:06 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.