Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday March 8, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2017, 10:14 PM   #26
TheCokeCan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 89951
Join Date: Jun 2005
Vehicle:
2016 Porsche 911
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaSlim View Post
You aren't off-base.

A lot of the gold and silver freako's are into crypto. It's an anti-govt anti bank mentality.

The IRS also views crypto as a commodity. You will end up paying capital gains on your earnings the same as you would for stocks. If you hold less than a year, you might be penalized up to 39%, but if you hold over a year it drops down to 10-20% (depending on income level).
Gotcha, thanks for the info.

That's interesting how the IRS looks at it - it makes sense, and it's neat how they've already examined it.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
TheCokeCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:38 PM   #27
KoalaSlim
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 94002
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kirkwood
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCokeCan View Post
Gotcha, thanks for the info.

That's interesting how the IRS looks at it - it makes sense, and it's neat how they've already examined it.
It's not that they've already examined it as much as they are too lazy to come up with new rules. They haven't recognized crypto as an actual currency, so these rules are what they deem applicable.
KoalaSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:46 PM   #28
drstuess
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 252955
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: great wall-> on the good side
Vehicle:
/\__ /(__

Default

Isn't there a fidelity etf of Crypto currency? Any benefit of actually buying a currency versus that ( full disclosure I practically know nothing of Crypto currency )?
drstuess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:59 PM   #29
KoalaSlim
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 94002
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kirkwood
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstuess View Post
Isn't there a fidelity etf of Crypto currency? Any benefit of actually buying a currency versus that ( full disclosure I practically know nothing of Crypto currency )?
To my knowledge not yet. Several ETF funds are under consideration by the SEC but none have been approved AFAIK. If this happens, it's going to cause a crypto explosion because hedge funds would have an easy way to get involved.

Fun fact:

.4% of hedge funds hold crypto assets
5% of hedge fund MANAGERS personally hold crypto.

Ten times as many...
KoalaSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:11 PM   #30
mr2guru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10334
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: St. Louis
Vehicle:
91 RX7 LSx swap
'09 CC 3.6 4motion

Default

All I know is I am making a killing on Litecoin right now. Got in on the ground floor. If it ever hits $2000, I'll have enough to retire. Good enough "lottery ticket" for me. And MUCH better odds. Plus it's fun to keep up on... like a daily scratcher, lol.

Disclaimer: I have several other traditional retirement investments that I actually rely on, cryptocurrency is just a game for me.
mr2guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:17 PM   #31
KoalaSlim
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 94002
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kirkwood
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2guru View Post
All I know is I am making a killing on Litecoin right now. Got in on the ground floor. If it ever hits $2000, I'll have enough to retire. Good enough "lottery ticket" for me. And MUCH better odds. Plus it's fun to keep up on... like a daily scratcher, lol.

Disclaimer: I have several other traditional retirement investments that I actually rely on, cryptocurrency is just a game for me.
Charlie Lee, founder of Litecoin just left CoinBase (after getting LiteCoin listed there) to focus full time on his baby. I think you are going to be very happy in a couple of years.
KoalaSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:46 AM   #32
WRX Shenanigans
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 101378
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: VA
Default

Im ready to pull the trigger on some coin. Im only willing to spend about $700 or so today. What do you recommend: litecoin, ethereum, or half and half? Further, litecoin shot up to $50 over the last few days...should i buy anyway or wait to see if it settles?
WRX Shenanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:52 AM   #33
Bryan T
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 17948
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaSlim View Post
Each has it's advantages and disadvantages. There is room in the market for multiple for sure.

Bitcoin Pro's:

-Limited eventual supply, no inflation.
-The first, and most recognizable.
-Untraceable transactions, good for drug dealers and gamblers.

Bitcoin Con's:

-Small block size
-Slow transaction speed, not good for merchants
-Untraceable transactions mean limited usefuleness for banks that require this.

Ethereum is more than a currency. It's a platform. It's like a new internet, and it's built on a full Turing programming language. You can make any application you want and run it on the network. The ether coin is more of a "gasoline" that makes all the programs work. So you're buying into an architecture, not a currency. People are currently frantically buying up all the domains on the ethereum network, because a lot of people believe this is internet 2.0, and will replace our current internet because net neutrality is threatened and ethereum network is impossible to control like that, because it's fully decentralized.

Dash, for instance, is solely designed for quick merchant transactions.

Ripple was created by bankers to transfer large amount of funds between bank branches. It can't be mined.

So they all have their uses. Eventually the dust will settle and there will be some major players and then smaller tokens as well. There's already a dentcoin that you can use to pay for dentist appointments. There will eventually be a coin for everything. There will be coffeecoin that you can use to buy coffee beans from suppliers etc. No middle man.

Get it? It's hard to wrap your head around at first.
Interesting ideas. The "coin for everything" doesn't make sense, if I'm understanding you correctly. The utility of a currency is that it lets you buy different types of goods, like the coffee merchant needing to buy dental services. Instead of converting their $coffee to $dental, they just use $. But maybe I'm missing something.
Bryan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:04 AM   #34
KoalaSlim
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 94002
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kirkwood
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX Shenanigans View Post
Im ready to pull the trigger on some coin. Im only willing to spend about $700 or so today. What do you recommend: litecoin, ethereum, or half and half? Further, litecoin shot up to $50 over the last few days...should i buy anyway or wait to see if it settles?
I don't feel comfortable giving purchasing advice. I think a price correction might be coming along. Ether is super inflated, litecoin just doubled, and bitcoin has new protocols implementing on August 1st. It could go way up in price or go way down in price.

You might want to wait.

Or you might want to just buy.

Sorry.
KoalaSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:07 AM   #35
ciscoidiot
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 413134
Join Date: Feb 2015
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
2018 WRX
CWP

Default

So... if understanding correctly you can still choose to mine crypto currency or choose to buy?

Insert salty comment about "telling everyone about this back in 2013 but doing nothing about it, and now I could be rich".

This **** is fascinating.
ciscoidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:09 AM   #36
WRX Shenanigans
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 101378
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaSlim View Post
I don't feel comfortable giving purchasing advice. I think a price correction might be coming along. Ether is super inflated, litecoin just doubled, and bitcoin has new protocols implementing on August 1st. It could go way up in price or go way down in price.

You might want to wait.

Or you might want to just buy.

Sorry.
Thanks. I appreciate any thoughts really. I realize its like timing the stock market (i.e. impossible), but thought I would at least ask some folks who have been following it longer than I. I think I'll just keep a close eye and if I see a drop I'll hop on it.

Side question. Other websites are showing litecoin up to $50, but Coinbase is letting me purchase at $47. Is there a lag or something? Also, when I click purchase on Coinbase, is that the price I'm guaranteed to get? Or will it adjust when the actual purchase takes place (as with the stock market)? I'm using a credit card btw (I feel more comfortable using a credit card for hopefully a little added protection).

Edit...I just kind of found the answer to one of my questions. Coinbase just updated to $49 for litecoin, so maybe there was just a slight lag.
WRX Shenanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:10 AM   #37
Integra96
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 64196
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2010 Family Sedan

Default

Big nope on this.

However I might throw in <1% of taxable for entertainment purposes.
Integra96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:11 AM   #38
KoalaSlim
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 94002
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kirkwood
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan T View Post
Interesting ideas. The "coin for everything" doesn't make sense, if I'm understanding you correctly. The utility of a currency is that it lets you buy different types of goods, like the coffee merchant needing to buy dental services. Instead of converting their $coffee to $dental, they just use $. But maybe I'm missing something.
With the smaller altcoins, their usefulness will play out. I don't know if it really makes sense or not to have a coin for each different industry.

But yes, some coins are useful to store value. Some coins are geared towards fast merchant transactions. Some coins are like Ether in that they aren't really supposed to be a currency but a way of running a network.
KoalaSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:18 AM   #39
KoalaSlim
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 94002
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kirkwood
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX Shenanigans View Post
Thanks. I appreciate any thoughts really. I realize its like timing the stock market (i.e. impossible), but thought I would at least ask some folks who have been following it longer than I. I think I'll just keep a close eye and if I see a drop I'll hop on it.

Side question. Other websites are showing litecoin up to $50, but Coinbase is letting me purchase at $47. Is there a lag or something? Also, when I click purchase on Coinbase, is that the price I'm guaranteed to get? Or will it adjust when the actual purchase takes place (as with the stock market)? I'm using a credit card btw (I feel more comfortable using a credit card for hopefully a little added protection).

Edit...I just kind of found the answer to one of my questions. Coinbase just updated to $49 for litecoin, so maybe there was just a slight lag.
When you hit the purchase button, It locks in your price at that moment. If you go to GDAX.com you can watch the orders as they come in and out and see it in real time.

There is always a price disparity between different exchanges. If you go to CoinMarketCap.com you can click on the coin price of each coin and a list of exchanges will pop up and you can observe the variance in prices.

The price you are seeing in Coinbase is essentially the most recent transaction from GDAX. You will notice that Asian exchanges sometimes have a large price disparity. They can't just order from any site they choose, so it makes sense that the prices are different in different areas.
KoalaSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:31 AM   #40
totallynotbeau
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 387569
Join Date: Apr 2014
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: $eattle
Vehicle:
1968 Abomination
Jaaaaag

Default

So odd, I've been hearing about mining a LOT lately, from a bunch of different sources. Seems like everyone is getting in on it.

While building a rig I could cook hotdogs on sounds appealing, investing in the currency seems to be the easier way to go.

I've heard that the term "mining" is accurate, as this movement is very much like a gold rush. You know who made the most $$$ during the gold rush? The dudes selling supplies to the miners. Mine the miners they said.

Now I just need to figure out what miners need, and sell it to them.
totallynotbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:34 AM   #41
KoalaSlim
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 94002
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kirkwood
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallynotbeau View Post
So odd, I've been hearing about mining a LOT lately, from a bunch of different sources. Seems like everyone is getting in on it.

While building a rig I could cook hotdogs on sounds appealing, investing in the currency seems to be the easier way to go.

I've heard that the term "mining" is accurate, as this movement is very much like a gold rush. You know who made the most $$$ during the gold rush? The dudes selling supplies to the miners. Mine the miners they said.

Now I just need to figure out what miners need, and sell it to them.
You could buy stock in AMD and other graphics card manufacturers. That would be a safe bet IMO. They are sold out everywhere, and demand is skyrocketing.
KoalaSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:45 AM   #42
ciscoidiot
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 413134
Join Date: Feb 2015
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
2018 WRX
CWP

Default

Just bought some Litecoins. Explaining this to my wife is going to be exciting. Glad this thread is here to get me hype about this crazy **** again.
ciscoidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:48 AM   #43
I25
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 66501
Join Date: Jul 2004
Chapter/Region: International
Default

So I went to signup for a Coinbase account this morning to get started on the DC train...


It tells me I already have an account...

Guess I'll reset my password and see how rich I am.

Update: $0.00. Looks like I signed up for this back in 2013. **** me sideways for not buying anything back then
I25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:48 AM   #44
shikataganai
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 92634
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
Big nope on this.

However I might throw in <1% of taxable for entertainment purposes.
I figure it's worth it as a long shot for a pile of money that I wouldn't care about if it went up in smoke.

/me dreams of super early retirement...
shikataganai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:50 AM   #45
ciscoidiot
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 413134
Join Date: Feb 2015
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
2018 WRX
CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I25 View Post
So I went to signup for a Coinbase account this morning to get started on the DC train...


It tells me I already have an account...

Guess I'll reset my password and see how rich I am.

Update: $0.00. Looks like I signed up for this back in 2013. **** me sideways for not buying anything back then
This gun be gud.
ciscoidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:00 PM   #46
Jard
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 34935
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Vehicle:
Dad- Core
OG

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallynotbeau View Post
So odd, I've been hearing about mining a LOT lately, from a bunch of different sources. Seems like everyone is getting in on it.

While building a rig I could cook hotdogs on sounds appealing, investing in the currency seems to be the easier way to go.

I've heard that the term "mining" is accurate, as this movement is very much like a gold rush. You know who made the most $$$ during the gold rush? The dudes selling supplies to the miners. Mine the miners they said.

Now I just need to figure out what miners need, and sell it to them.
At a consumer level (6 or less GPUs):
* Started mining a year ago and held on to your ether - could think about selling now and making 6 figures
* Started mining 6 months ago - probably 5 figures
* Started mining in the last month - might make a few thousand dollars
* Start mining now - lucky to get your investment back

This is directly tied to the actual and expected difficulty increase of more and more mining capacity coming online.
Jard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:03 PM   #47
I25
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 66501
Join Date: Jul 2004
Chapter/Region: International
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscoidiot View Post
This gun be gud.
I25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:04 PM   #48
KoalaSlim
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 94002
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kirkwood
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jard View Post
At a consumer level (6 or less GPUs):
* Started mining a year ago and held on to your ether - could think about selling now and making 6 figures
* Started mining 6 months ago - probably 5 figures
* Started mining in the last month - might make a few thousand dollars
* Start mining now - lucky to get your investment back

This is directly tied to the actual and expected difficulty increase of more and more mining capacity coming online.
All true.

The prices are so outrageous on graphics cards right now, it just doesn't seem profitable.

HOWEVER, you could mine a lesser coin like Zcash and if it takes off like crazy, you would of course make a massive profit. But that is a heck of a gamble.
KoalaSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:07 PM   #49
Jard
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 34935
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Vehicle:
Dad- Core
OG

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaSlim View Post
The prices are so outrageous on graphics cards right now, it just doesn't seem profitable.

HOWEVER, you could mine a lesser coin like Zcash and if it takes off like crazy, you would of course make a massive profit. But that is a heck of a gamble.
Finding video cards is less of an issue, honestly, everyone is switching to NVIDIA. GPU risers are all sold out and the other hardware is going to become more scarce.

I am mining as a hobby, but I had *most* of the hardware I needed already laying around.

Even with my small investment, to make any real money, the coin value needs to skyrocket...
Jard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:13 PM   #50
KoalaSlim
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 94002
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kirkwood
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jard View Post
Finding video cards is less of an issue, honestly, everyone is switching to NVIDIA. GPU risers are all sold out and the other hardware is going to become more scarce.

I am mining as a hobby, but I had *most* of the hardware I needed already laying around.

Even with my small investment, to make any real money, the coin value needs to skyrocket...
The smartest thing might be to buy an antminer directly off bitmain. It's a dedicated platform. It uses some other achitecture with hundreds of small chips, not graphics cards. I kind of want to get into it, especially because I'm sitting around the house a lot right now with a broken elbow and wrist. I'm just bored as **** looking at GDAX charts and watching youtube vids.
KoalaSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.