Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 2, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2020, 10:20 PM   #26
gfxguy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316583
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle area
Vehicle:
2014 STI Hatch
ISM

Default

Pushed some updates to the github repo today. Added a day/night display brightness toggle (saved in EEPROM), and also uploaded the KiCad and Gerber files I used to print out a PCB (old protoboard version above, new PCB below):
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
gfxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:28 PM   #27
gfxguy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316583
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle area
Vehicle:
2014 STI Hatch
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Suhrbier View Post
I'll trade you a titanium faceplate plus some $ for one of these if it will work on an 06.

Repeat after me. I will not undertake a new project, I will not undertake a new project.....
Thanks for the offer, but I'm not looking to sell or trade for these at this point. (I might change my mind if someone designed and shared a rad 3D printed enclosure )
gfxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:41 PM   #28
GalaxyWide
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 383291
Join Date: Mar 2014
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Great White North
Vehicle:
2004 Forester XT
Cayenne Red

Default

This is an awesome project, thanks for posting it! It's very similar to something I've been wanting to do, right down the Teensy, form factor and data source.

I'd love to work with you on an enclosure, I have a 3D printer and I'm reasonably handy with Solidworks. Shoot me a PM or something with what you might have in mind and some dimensions, I'm no automotive designer but I can at least have fun with it

Which screen are you using? My main sticking point currently is choosing a screen that I'll be able to make a UI for and refresh fast enough...I'm a lot more familiar with the mechanical/discrete side than coding a display and UI, and I'm a bit lost.
GalaxyWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 02:13 PM   #29
gfxguy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316583
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle area
Vehicle:
2014 STI Hatch
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyWide View Post
This is an awesome project, thanks for posting it! It's very similar to something I've been wanting to do, right down the Teensy, form factor and data source.

I'd love to work with you on an enclosure, I have a 3D printer and I'm reasonably handy with Solidworks. Shoot me a PM or something with what you might have in mind and some dimensions, I'm no automotive designer but I can at least have fun with it

Which screen are you using? My main sticking point currently is choosing a screen that I'll be able to make a UI for and refresh fast enough...I'm a lot more familiar with the mechanical/discrete side than coding a display and UI, and I'm a bit lost.
Cool. Right now my ideas are pretty vague -- something that flows better with the lines of the car's interior, and looks less DIY/more professional. Maybe mounted in the dash vent like the Dialed Mounts AP docks (which are themselves 3D printed) -- that would hide the cable too. E.g. https://dialedmounts.com/collections...sti-dock-mount

The case would have to support repeated opening and closing too since the SD card needs to be removed to download the logs.

The hardware I used, including the screen, is listed in the README on github: https://github.com/jasminpatry/boostino#hardware. The KiCad files are there too so you can get some dimensions from that. I can take some measurements of the screen and DM them to you if you want.

The code is all there too, so you can see how I'm updating the display. In short, the canvas is double-buffered, and only the pixels that have changed are sent to the display each frame. This is done by ILI9341_t3::updateRect8BPP() in my fork of ILI9341_t3, which is called by UpdateTft() in boostino.ino.
gfxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:28 PM   #30
GalaxyWide
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 383291
Join Date: Mar 2014
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Great White North
Vehicle:
2004 Forester XT
Cayenne Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfxguy View Post
Cool. Right now my ideas are pretty vague -- something that flows better with the lines of the car's interior, and looks less DIY/more professional. Maybe mounted in the dash vent like the Dialed Mounts AP docks (which are themselves 3D printed) -- that would hide the cable too. E.g. https://dialedmounts.com/collections...sti-dock-mount

The case would have to support repeated opening and closing too since the SD card needs to be removed to download the logs.

The hardware I used, including the screen, is listed in the README on github: https://github.com/jasminpatry/boostino#hardware. The KiCad files are there too so you can get some dimensions from that. I can take some measurements of the screen and DM them to you if you want.

The code is all there too, so you can see how I'm updating the display. In short, the canvas is double-buffered, and only the pixels that have changed are sent to the display each frame. This is done by ILI9341_t3::updateRect8BPP() in my fork of ILI9341_t3, which is called by UpdateTft() in boostino.ino.
I'll see what I come up with, I don't have an impreza to test with but I do have an 04 forester, and apparently they share the same defroster vents.

Thanks for the info on Github, I admit I hadn't looked at it yet so I'll check that out!
GalaxyWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:58 PM   #31
gfxguy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316583
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle area
Vehicle:
2014 STI Hatch
ISM

Default

Got the Tactrix-less version up and running this weekend, and pushed everything to GitHub. I switched to SMD for most components to make things fit more easily. Top is old v1 board, bottom is new v2 board:



Now I can leave the gauge plugged in without worrying about the Tactrix draining my battery
gfxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 02:57 AM   #32
gfxguy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316583
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle area
Vehicle:
2014 STI Hatch
ISM

Default

It's been a few weeks, but I've been busily working away on this as time allows.

The Teensy has been great for prototyping, but it is relatively expensive and limiting in terms of form factor, so I decided to switch to a custom MCU board. I settled on an STM32 microcontroller (the STM32F429ZGT, which is roughly equivalent to Teensy 3.6 in terms of speed, flash, and RAM), and have spent the last few weeks porting everything over and working out the kinks. I'm happy to say that that's nearly done (the second revision of my PCB should be here next week, and hopefully won't have any new bugs).

I've also designed a laser-cut enclosure that I'm excited to get my hands on (should also be here next week).







gfxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 01:47 PM   #33
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 50586
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs
Vehicle:
2020 STI
Crystal White Pearl

Default

this thing looks sweet, i'd be interested if you are selling them
murrdogg24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 02:41 PM   #34
gfxguy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316583
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle area
Vehicle:
2014 STI Hatch
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrdogg24 View Post
this thing looks sweet, i'd be interested if you are selling them
Thanks, I'm not quite at that point yet but I'm hoping to make them available for purchase soon! I have a friend testing one on his Ver.8 STI-swapped RS and it's working great for him. I will probably be looking for more testers in a few weeks...
gfxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 03:36 PM   #35
Mulder
Trust no one
Moderator
 
Member#: 11170
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/11 CRZ

Default

This is cool, but when you are ready to actually offer a product for sale here you WILL have to do this-
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=1692256
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 03:45 PM   #36
gfxguy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316583
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle area
Vehicle:
2014 STI Hatch
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
This is cool, but when you are ready to actually offer a product for sale here you WILL have to do this-
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=1692256
Yep, thanks, I'm aware
gfxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.