Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 5, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
View Poll Results: What should I do about my broken aftermarket alarm?
Just leave it alone, and forget it exists. 0 0%
Tear that junk outta there! 0 0%
Take it to a professional. 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2020, 04:38 PM   #1
WRC9000
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 173499
Join Date: Mar 2008
Default Aftermarket Alarm Removal? (04 WRX)

I had a $200 "Viper" alarm system installed on my '04 Rex many years ago. It worked for a few years, then one day it would just not activate/went completely dead. I tried changing the battery in the remote, but it remained dysfunctional.


Luckily the factory key fob/alarm system still worked at that point, so that's what I've been using ever since. The aftermarket alarm is still installed in the car. Supposedly, it's the kind that has an "engine kill switch" but I'm guessing that might be bull****.

My question is, would it be safe to tear out the broken alarm system myself, or should I get a "professional" to dismantle it/install a new one? I know very little about electronics and how aftermarket alarms are tied into the wiring harness. All I can really see from my eye is a few extra wires running through the headliner to a few places around the car, and the stupid speaker box jangling around in the engine compartment. I can't imagine it's really doing much harm leaving it in there, but its just more junk I want to get out of the car if it's not working.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
WRC9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 11-13-2020, 04:40 PM   #2
cdska
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 458809
Join Date: Nov 2016
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston
Vehicle:
2005 wrx wagon

Default

They are usually really intricate and involve cutting and splicing a lot of wires. Check to see if there is a fuse or something with the particular model you have or any loose /disconnected wires first unless you are set on removing it
cdska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 05:26 PM   #3
WRC9000
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 173499
Join Date: Mar 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdska View Post
They are usually really intricate and involve cutting and splicing a lot of wires. Check to see if there is a fuse or something with the particular model you have or any loose /disconnected wires first unless you are set on removing it

Thanks for the tip. By fuse, you mean an inline fuse somewhere withing the alarm system itself, right? (All the fuses in the car's main fuse box are good). I guess that means I'll have to remove the steering column shroud.
WRC9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:43 AM   #4
Kuntzy_
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 487907
Join Date: Jul 2018
Default

My 04 STI came with a viper alarm ďinstalledĒ but there is no alarm brain box present or viper key fob so I use my Subaru key fob.
The car doesnít start every now and then. I just get a click noise but no crank. Iím 99% sure it has to do with the old viper alarm wiring. having a starter lock on it.
I can see some bundle of wires (with a couple fuses and a white connector on it)spliced into my ignition harness (?). I was planning on removing the bundle and re-splicing the Subaru harness back together. I havenít got around to it yet so Iím not 100% thatís whatís causing the no start problem I am having.


Have you had any luck with removing yours yet?
Kuntzy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:43 PM   #5
WRC9000
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 173499
Join Date: Mar 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuntzy_ View Post
My 04 STI came with a viper alarm ďinstalledĒ but there is no alarm brain box present or viper key fob so I use my Subaru key fob.
The car doesnít start every now and then. I just get a click noise but no crank. Iím 99% sure it has to do with the old viper alarm wiring. having a starter lock on it.
I can see some bundle of wires (with a couple fuses and a white connector on it)spliced into my ignition harness (?). I was planning on removing the bundle and re-splicing the Subaru harness back together. I havenít got around to it yet so Iím not 100% thatís whatís causing the no start problem I am having.


Have you had any luck with removing yours yet?

No, I haven't investigated further yet. But you said there's "a couple fuses" somewhere - is that in the steering column shroud? Is it easy to see if they are blown or not? When I have time I will take a look there and see if that might be the problem with my alarm.
WRC9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:07 PM   #6
Kuntzy_
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 487907
Join Date: Jul 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC9000 View Post
No, I haven't investigated further yet. But you said there's "a couple fuses" somewhere - is that in the steering column shroud? Is it easy to see if they are blown or not? When I have time I will take a look there and see if that might be the problem with my alarm.


Yeah the seem pretty accessible, Iím not sure if they are OEM or not, but Iíll try and take some pictures of it when I get a chance here soon.
Kuntzy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 01:18 PM   #7
Kuntzy_
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 487907
Join Date: Jul 2018
Default Aftermarket Alarm Removal? (04 WRX)

Here are the pictures of my harness. Still not sure what it is yet...

Imgur. com/a/9bwc0Pc




I removed the harness and the car still starts! It had a connection into the ignition harness that yíd off into a connector that was hanging, I found a relay (that looks non oem) that had wires soldered into the white and black wire (starter?) I cut the wires at the solder point and tapped them up, reconnected the white/black wire together and reconnected the ignition harness plugs.

Last edited by Kuntzy_; 12-12-2020 at 02:20 PM.
Kuntzy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 03:29 PM   #8
DonkeyyKongg
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 383466
Join Date: Mar 2014
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: norther california
Vehicle:
2004 STI
wrb

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuntzy_ View Post
Here are the pictures of my harness. Still not sure what it is yet...

Imgur. com/a/9bwc0Pc




I removed the harness and the car still starts! It had a connection into the ignition harness that yíd off into a connector that was hanging, I found a relay (that looks non oem) that had wires soldered into the white and black wire (starter?) I cut the wires at the solder point and tapped them up, reconnected the white/black wire together and reconnected the ignition harness plugs.

https://imgur.com/a/fOgLuMX

correction for the wires with the butt-splices on them: they both went to the ecu side of the IGN harness. one to the relay and one out to the ecu harness.

here are all(?) the wires I removed. car started right up, not sure if it fixed my random no starts issue, only time will tell. I hope this helps you in some way.

im the same person, I forgot my login so I made a new one for the app.
DonkeyyKongg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 03:56 PM   #9
cdska
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 458809
Join Date: Nov 2016
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston
Vehicle:
2005 wrx wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC9000 View Post
Thanks for the tip. By fuse, you mean an inline fuse somewhere withing the alarm system itself, right? (All the fuses in the car's main fuse box are good). I guess that means I'll have to remove the steering column shroud.
Hey yeah I meant an in line fuse somewhere probably tucked up under the dash not a factory fuse. Just suggesting to see if there is a simple solution to why your aftermarket set up is not working vs. removal of the whole system as I know sometimes they can be really integrated and uninstalling would be a big pain compared to fixing it (if there was something small causing it to not work). If you take off the dash kick panel on the driver side I bet you will find most of the alarm related wiring tucked up under there and you can examine it. Take some pics like this other guy did and share them
cdska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 08:48 PM   #10
Vancouver98STi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 459287
Join Date: Dec 2016
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Vehicle:
1998 JDM Impreza STi
V4 GF8 White

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC9000 View Post

I haven't investigated further yet. But you said there's "a couple fuses" somewhere - is that in the steering column shroud?
I was recently investigating a wiring issue. Good luck!

Vancouver98STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.