Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday March 6, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2021, 01:41 AM   #1
BoscoGuo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 492612
Join Date: Oct 2018
Default Question about IAG 900 long block

Hello every professional STI racers! I m located in Toronto, CA. my car is 18 STI and I just did compression and leakdown test days ago, the result is that cylinder 4 is showed 80 PSI for both compression and leakdown test as my STI is only 37600KM
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
I have only done Catback, and Cobb Stage 3 kit on my STI and run OTS stage 3 91, 93MAP with Petro94. So I think maybe it is the time to move forward. I am considering to purchase a IAG 900 long block, and only temporarily keep the WHP around 530, but maybe! I need more? who knows that in the future right?(Yep,I m stupid guy I just wanna whp around 530 cuz I had experience with another guy's 550whp before)
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I tried to search some info via forums, even yoube, but I havent found any key info about many guys who are using this 900 long block. and I m also not sure if my budget is big enough to buy parts other than the engine to support with this long block (I m located in Toronto, my budget is $ 30000 CAD for buying whole parts, and labour. This block is cost $17189.02 CAD in trt local certified shop, so the remainng money is 12810.98 ). I supposed if I used Garrett GTX3076R gen2 turbo(or something else may support me to shoot around 550), and FMIC kit ? or aftetmarket stock location turbo with better tmic?
Considering if anyone had IAG long block experience in Canada or have the experience with this block? I m appreciate to it!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by BoscoGuo; 01-07-2021 at 07:06 AM.
BoscoGuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:52 AM   #2
Scuby04STi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 328635
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland*
Vehicle:
2004 STi GTX3076R
Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscoGuo View Post
Hello every professional STI racers! I m located in Toronto, CA. my car is 18 STI and I just did compression and leakdown test days ago, the result is that cylinder 4 is showed 80 PSI for both compression and leakdown test as my STI is only 37600KM
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
I have only done Catback, and Cobb Stage 3 kit on my STI and run OTS stage 3 91, 93MAP with Petro94. So I think maybe it is the time to move forward. I am considering to purchase a IAG 900 long block, and only temporarily keep the WHP around 530, but maybe! I need more? who knows that in the future right?(Yep,I m stupid guy I just wanna whp around 530 cuz I had experience with another guy's 550whp before)
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I tried to search some info via forums, even yoube, but I havent found any key info about many guys who are using this 900 long block. and I m also not sure if my budget is big enough to buy parts other than the engine to support with this long block (I m located in Toronto, my budget is $ 30000 CAD for buying whole parts, and labour. This block is cost $17189.02 CAD in trt local certified shop, so the remainng money is 12810.98 ). I supposed if I used Garrett GTX3076R gen2 turbo(or something else may support me to shoot around 550), and FMIC kit ? or aftetmarket stock location turbo with better tmic?
Considering if anyone had IAG long block experience in Canada or have the experience with this block? I m appreciate to it!
I have zero experience with this block.

However, that block costs $14,500 Canadian so that shop has a nice little mark up on you there.

As for the turbo mentioned my car makes [email protected] on the gen 1 so a gen 2 would hit 500+ without trying. That being said a few people do not think the gen2 fits these engines as well as the gen1. It tends to be people get a gen2 gtx3071 or a gen2 gtx3576.

If it was me in your position I would start by seeing what is usable in that engine you already have. The cost associated with buying a new shinny long block can be dramatically cut if you just do a short block and fix up the heads you have or just fix the whole engine. At the 500whp mark porting is just gravy that costs more per whp gained then anything else you do, its not even close.
Scuby04STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:23 PM   #3
funk32
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 245787
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Canada
Vehicle:
GD Race Car

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuby04STi View Post
I have zero experience with this block.

However, that block costs $14,500 Canadian so that shop has a nice little mark up on you there.
That is using a perfect 1:1 which your bank or CC won't be. Closer to 15,000-15500+ tax, which I think (i hope he is including in that cost). Then there is shipping to Canada.... not a easy/quick exchange.
funk32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 01:17 PM   #4
JSR84
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 469585
Join Date: Jun 2017
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2009 STi
White

Default

Given you're current mods, I think you're in for a huge shock when it comes to budget for a 500WHP+ build, especially with labor. I'm in the middle of a build right now, and I'm coming up on 30K without any labor charges, I've done everything myself with the exception of an assembled Outfront Motorsports block. I also already had a lot of the smaller components.
JSR84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:01 AM   #5
Scuby04STi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 328635
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland*
Vehicle:
2004 STi GTX3076R
Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funk32 View Post
That is using a perfect 1:1 which your bank or CC won't be. Closer to 15,000-15500+ tax, which I think (i hope he is including in that cost). Then there is shipping to Canada.... not a easy/quick exchange.
Last time I did a major currency exchange I paid 1% at my bank. Thats not even worth mentioning honestly at these rates.

Shipping to and from Canada does have its nuances, but at that mark up if you want to save money it can be done. I have seen people struggle with shipping, but there are ways to get the job done. Just need some creativity.
Scuby04STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:14 AM   #6
funk32
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 245787
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Canada
Vehicle:
GD Race Car

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuby04STi View Post
Last time I did a major currency exchange I paid 1% at my bank. Thats not even worth mentioning honestly at these rates.

Shipping to and from Canada does have its nuances, but at that mark up if you want to save money it can be done. I have seen people struggle with shipping, but there are ways to get the job done. Just need some creativity.
Touge tuning, who I am guessing he checked the price at has them at 15200, to me thats pretty reasonable when considering shipping to Canada and the exchange rate. Then you factor in the tax depending on province, so in that shops location its 13% and you got yourself an easy 17200 bucks.

Plus buying from a dealer and having it installed and tuned by them bumps up IAGs warranty to 2 years.
funk32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 01:31 PM   #7
Scuby04STi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 328635
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland*
Vehicle:
2004 STi GTX3076R
Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funk32 View Post
Touge tuning, who I am guessing he checked the price at has them at 15200, to me thats pretty reasonable when considering shipping to Canada and the exchange rate. Then you factor in the tax depending on province, so in that shops location its 13% and you got yourself an easy 17200 bucks.

Plus buying from a dealer and having it installed and tuned by them bumps up IAGs warranty to 2 years.
Yeah if thats the goal it makes perfect sense.

He just mentioned a budget and I wanted to point out two options that could save thousands.

Some want a warranty and some want to pay as little as they can to get the same results. I paid a lot less for my engine, but I also sourced parts and such then had someone machine everything locally. No warranty, lol.
Scuby04STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:33 PM   #8
idaeus
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 239430
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Charlotte, NC
Vehicle:
2013 STI sedan
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscoGuo View Post
Hello every professional STI racers! I m located in Toronto, CA. my car is 18 STI and I just did compression and leakdown test days ago, the result is that cylinder 4 is showed 80 PSI for both compression and leakdown test as my STI is only 37600KM
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
I have only done Catback, and Cobb Stage 3 kit on my STI and run OTS stage 3 91, 93MAP with Petro94. So I think maybe it is the time to move forward. I am considering to purchase a IAG 900 long block, and only temporarily keep the WHP around 530, but maybe! I need more? who knows that in the future right?(Yep,I m stupid guy I just wanna whp around 530 cuz I had experience with another guy's 550whp before)
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I tried to search some info via forums, even yoube, but I havent found any key info about many guys who are using this 900 long block. and I m also not sure if my budget is big enough to buy parts other than the engine to support with this long block (I m located in Toronto, my budget is $ 30000 CAD for buying whole parts, and labour. This block is cost $17189.02 CAD in trt local certified shop, so the remainng money is 12810.98 ). I supposed if I used Garrett GTX3076R gen2 turbo(or something else may support me to shoot around 550), and FMIC kit ? or aftetmarket stock location turbo with better tmic?
Considering if anyone had IAG long block experience in Canada or have the experience with this block? I m appreciate to it!
I think the hp number engine names , and the condom engine names are a new thing for IAG so you might not find as much on them in a search.

The 900 engine looks roughly equivalent to a stage 3 which has been around for a while (I have a stage 4) . Donít forget to account for tuning and supporting mod costs, if youíll go flex fuel, etc.
idaeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:04 PM   #9
BoscoGuo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 492612
Join Date: Oct 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaeus View Post
I think the hp number engine names , and the condom engine names are a new thing for IAG so you might not find as much on them in a search.

The 900 engine looks roughly equivalent to a stage 3 which has been around for a while (I have a stage 4) . Donít forget to account for tuning and supporting mod costs, if youíll go flex fuel, etc.
Thanks for help. It is hard to find Flexfuel in CA. just pump is fine. Curious what stage 4 r u runing, tuff or extreme
BoscoGuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:34 PM   #10
Zak6182
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 481754
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Beaufort, SC
Vehicle:
2017 STi Base
Black

Default

How does Petro94 compare to American 93, whats the ethanol content?
Zak6182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:14 AM   #11
blckholehurican
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 515368
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Alberta, Canada
Vehicle:
2016 WRX STI
HIKARI

Default

i just imported an iag 600 longblock to canada.
sale price $9,000 usd.
shipping to alberta. $450 usd
shipping crate $ 200 usd
import fees $670 cad
blckholehurican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:48 PM   #12
blurred
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 47143
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak6182 View Post
How does Petro94 compare to American 93, whats the ethanol content?
It depends on the province, in Southern Ontario (Toronto area) it is good fuel and a non-issue. Fuels are heavily regulated here so in the large markets the base fuels are shared by all companies with their proprietary additive packages added during the tanker fills so there is a good consistency. We also have local race gas manufacturers that can custom blend gasolines or ethanol so fuels are really no concern for making big power. 450-500whp range on a properly set up Subaru on 94 pump is no problem.

94 is e10 in Ontario and comparable to surrounding states 93, when US people come up for a tune we still recommend to use their fuels or our 91 though as fuel quality in the USA seems to vary greatly by region and supplier.
blurred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:23 PM   #13
Zak6182
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 481754
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Beaufort, SC
Vehicle:
2017 STi Base
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurred View Post
It depends on the province, in Southern Ontario (Toronto area) it is good fuel and a non-issue. Fuels are heavily regulated here so in the large markets the base fuels are shared by all companies with their proprietary additive packages added during the tanker fills so there is a good consistency. We also have local race gas manufacturers that can custom blend gasolines or ethanol so fuels are really no concern for making big power. 450-500whp range on a properly set up Subaru on 94 pump is no problem.

94 is e10 in Ontario and comparable to surrounding states 93, when US people come up for a tune we still recommend to use their fuels or our 91 though as fuel quality in the USA seems to vary greatly by region and supplier.
Good info. The fuel quality is why I was asking. I read somewhere that there was no ethanol in fuel there.
Zak6182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:57 PM   #14
thiessentr
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 469678
Join Date: Jun 2017
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Canada
Vehicle:
2010 STI hatch
Silver

Default

Is your ~17,200 cad for the block including tax and duty? Duty alone can be huge
thiessentr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:10 PM   #15
lowbee
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 254317
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Vehicle:
2011 STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiessentr View Post
Is your ~17,200 cad for the block including tax and duty? Duty alone can be huge

There shouldn't any duty for a US assembled shortblock under NAFTA or whatever it is called now USMCA??
lowbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:48 PM   #16
JSR84
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 469585
Join Date: Jun 2017
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2009 STi
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbee View Post
There shouldn't any duty for a US assembled shortblock under NAFTA or whatever it is called now USMCA??
There is because the parts are from Japan.
JSR84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:52 PM   #17
funk32
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 245787
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Canada
Vehicle:
GD Race Car

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiessentr View Post
Is your ~17,200 cad for the block including tax and duty? Duty alone can be huge
I guess you didn't read my reply...

"touge tuning (Canadian), who I am guessing he checked the price at has them at 15200, to me that's pretty reasonable when considering shipping to Canada and the exchange rate. Then you factor in the tax depending on province, so in that shops location its 13% and you got yourself an easy 17200 bucks."
funk32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:29 AM   #18
thiessentr
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 469678
Join Date: Jun 2017
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Canada
Vehicle:
2010 STI hatch
Silver

Default

My bad, must've skimmed right over it
thiessentr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:30 PM   #19
user1029
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 57064
Join Date: Mar 2004
Vehicle:
2008 STi IAG built
HTA86 E85 Kel272s Cos IM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR84 View Post
There is because the parts are from Japan.
which need to be overnight
user1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.