Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-21-2014, 01:26 AM   #1
vcreation
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 377577
Vehicle:
2003 WRX

Default Loose wiper and how i fixed it!

so my driver side wiper has some free-play, while passenger side is very FIRM. so I suspect it's the 'plastic bushing' in the linkage. and it is..
problem is that linkage (plastic cap) are NOT available for individual sale from my local Subaru dealer, they want to sell me the complete unit. the Windshield wiper linkage bushing they are selling individually is the one that connects to the motor! and my local autobarn/repco don't stock them. the one on eBay may work but I can't be 100% sure cos they say they are for dodge and crystler.

now after I checked it... the 'connecting rod' is hold onto the ball with a rubber washer at bottom, and then a plastic washer, and then a cap on top. below the cap it has 2 rims, one for the connecting rod to sit on, the another one below is to push against the plastic washer. problem is the bottom end flange is fully worn out so there is not enough material to push the connecting rod flap towards the top.

now as u can see the 'cap' is worn out and the only option I had (without any parts) is to ad another extra washer below, to assist in supporting the connecting rod and it's plastic washer to push against the top onto the first rim below the cup.
the parts use.. is a Household washer that u found in all ur kitchen and bathroom sink taps. that rubber washer is prefect size and thickness!

now the end result... the connecting rod now is sitting directly blow the cap, I add a lot of lanolin grease on it so hopefully it will not wear out so fast...

how long will it last... GOD KNOWS.. but it will last long enough till I get the correct parts!
vcreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2014, 02:27 AM   #2
tuner92
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 235750
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2008 sti
DGM

They sell those little white sockets that the ball goes into at auto parts stores. I've replaced a few on a couple different cars.
tuner92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #3
vcreation
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 377577
Vehicle:
2003 WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuner92 View Post
They sell those little white sockets that the ball goes into at auto parts stores. I've replaced a few on a couple different cars.
we are at Australia and finding strange parts like this is near impossible. most auto parts stores has no idea what it is. made 10 phone calls no luck so I'd had to go with washer trick. but I'd assume those plastic caps are all the same between car makers. can u link me which one could be the correct one for Subaru. from an online seller?
vcreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:17 PM   #4
Elvgren
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 328491
Vehicle:
2004 FXT

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-49447-Wiper-Linkage-Bushing/dp/B000IWFPIW
I used the ones on the top right to fix the wiper on my04 fxt. Had to trim slightly to fit.
Elvgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:48 PM   #5
DrumDealer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 482022
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza WRX
White

Sorry to revive a 5 year old thread.
I have this same issue on my 02 wrx, is it worth replacing the bushing? Or does the bushing wear out often enough to justify buying a whole new wiper assembly?
DrumDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:28 AM   #6
Ken block jr
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 501654

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumDealer View Post
Sorry to revive a 5 year old thread.
I have this same issue on my 02 wrx, is it worth replacing the bushing? Or does the bushing wear out often enough to justify buying a whole new wiper assembly?
I have a 18 wrx wipers still not working I'm getting frustrated now fuse good. Subaru told me might be relay. So I bought the relay. Now a gentleman on this forum told me there is no relay for the wipers and I'm 98 pretty shure he is correct. Car has 10,000 Miles heavily modified no warranty.
Ken block jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:29 AM   #7
Ken block jr
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 501654

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken block jr View Post
I have a 18 wrx wipers still not working I'm getting frustrated now fuse good. Subaru told me might be relay. So I bought the relay. Now a gentleman on this forum told me there is no relay for the wipers and I'm 98 pretty shure he is correct. Car has 10,000 Miles heavily modified no warranty.
Was just thinking could the switch go bad ? The washer fluid still works..
Ken block jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:07 PM   #8
slowautoxr
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 282182

The Dorman bushing installed with some difficulty and didn't really fit that great but they've lasted a few years. Apparently they are done and need to be replaced again now. The cost of the assembly is ~$120 so I'll be replacing the bushings again.

EDIT: I found a new assembly on Rockauto for ~$70. I'll probably be getting a new mechanism at the price.

Last edited by slowautoxr; 10-11-2019 at 11:01 AM.
slowautoxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:29 AM   #9
jthewarrior
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 373604
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
BLUE

I also just fixed my 2003 WRX with the dorman bushing kit (bought at autozone). You want to bring in the old pieces to size up the new ones as there are a few sizes. Pretty easy, but you will likely need to remove your hood to get the cowl off. I've taken a couple of photos of the left over parts to give an idea of what they look like.
https://img.nasioc.com/image/img-0062.RSGzw
https://img.nasioc.com/image/img-0063.RS45D
jthewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:11 PM   #10
EvanSutton
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 520431

Thanks mines loose too haha
EvanSutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:10 AM   #11
LLuis199
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 518906
Default 2014 Wrx hatchback

My driver's side wiper works fine until it touches water and hits the pillar, would this work on it? I've tried this trick that I saw on yt to readjust the wiper but didn't work.
LLuis199 is offline   Reply With Quote