Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday September 18, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Classifieds > New Product Development

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #101
Ericthered545
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 411430
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ohio
Vehicle:
2015 WRX

Default

Hi,
I'm curious as to why I would need to remove the transmission support to install the shifter plate, as I was able to remove OEM unit and install Perrin shift adapter without removing these at all.

I ask because I'm interested your counterweighted part. The Perrin adapter is great during spirited driving but at times requires a great deal of force during "normal" driving. I'm kicking around the idea of trying something else.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Ericthered545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:20 AM   #102
BOOMBA RACING
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 75640
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: 635 Wheat Lane, Wood Dale, IL
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthered545 View Post
Hi,
I'm curious as to why I would need to remove the transmission support to install the shifter plate, as I was able to remove OEM unit and install Perrin shift adapter without removing these at all.

I ask because I'm interested your counterweighted part. The Perrin adapter is great during spirited driving but at times requires a great deal of force during "normal" driving. I'm kicking around the idea of trying something else.
You don't have to remove the transmission support. It just makes things with the installation go a little bit easier by giving you some more room to work when you're under there. People have installed it with leaving the brace on, but others prefer to take it off.
BOOMBA RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:57 AM   #103
Willbo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 386070
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Northern Virginia
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOMBA RACING View Post
You don't have to remove the transmission support. It just makes things with the installation go a little bit easier by giving you some more room to work when you're under there. People have installed it with leaving the brace on, but others prefer to take it off.
How on earth did you get to that top bolt on the plate cover????? You guys conveniently left particular bolt out of your install video.
Willbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:03 PM   #104
elarson1423
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 239088
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SoCal
Vehicle:
2015 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willbo View Post
How on earth did you get to that top bolt on the plate cover????? You guys conveniently left particular bolt out of your install video.
Yeah, thats the only part that required me to drop the transmission. Spent around 30 minutes and left a small amount of blood and skin up there trying to get at that bolt before I dropped the trans down. I imagine with another set of hands I might have been able to get enough space.
elarson1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:26 PM   #105
Willbo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 386070
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Northern Virginia
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elarson1423 View Post
Yeah, thats the only part that required me to drop the transmission. Spent around 30 minutes and left a small amount of blood and skin up there trying to get at that bolt before I dropped the trans down. I imagine with another set of hands I might have been able to get enough space.
How do you drop the transmission?
Willbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:50 PM   #106
JuicyPhartNugget
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 395689
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Honolulu, HI
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited
CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willbo View Post
How on earth did you get to that top bolt on the plate cover????? You guys conveniently left particular bolt out of your install video.
grab the cover and twist it to break the bolt loose a little, then stick a ratcheting wrench on it and pull down hard one click at a time until u can loosen by hand. it's pretty tight up there, but doable.
JuicyPhartNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:39 PM   #107
pinoyWRX15
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 393392
Join Date: Jun 2014
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Tampa, FL
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
Lapis Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elarson1423 View Post
I'll just put my install notes here for everyone to view. Sorry for the rough format, just stream of consciousness style thoughts. Also, these notes apply to the shifter and the plate.

Tools used: 3/8" ratchet, 1/4" ratchet, 7mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm sockets, 12mm ratcheting box end wrench, 17mm open end wrench, 3" extension, 6" extension, 12" extension (not necessarily required), steel punch, hammer, cordless impact (not required), flat and philips head screwdrivers, lithium grease, snap ring pliers.

Shifter plate:
I thought I could do the install without removing the transmission supports. I was right all the way up until the shifter plate cover (the one that doesn't go back on, thank god). The top bolt is impossible to get at without dropping the transmission down an inch or so. Even then I had to use a 12mm ratcheting box end and pull down on the trans with all of my t-rex arm might while laying under the car, and it took a good 10 minutes for one bolt. If the cover were to go back on, that bolt was staying off. Not gonna happen, sorry. Honestly, that was the ONLY step in the process that required removing the transmission support. Also worth noting, I took the support off in one piece and it was really easy to manage. Maybe easier than taking each piece off individually.

The shifter cable clip was a pain to get off. Ask the bloody knuckles all over my left hand. Couldn't get it off for the life of me. Instead I removed the bracket to which it was attached. Two 12mm bolts, 20 seconds. So much easier than removing the clip.

Other than those, really easy install. That top bolt on the cover plate took longer than everything else combined, if you count in me trying to figure out how the hell to get something up there.


Short Shifter:
This was a bit more involved. After you remove the cover plate under the car, the SubiSpeed instructions call for you to remove four 10mm nuts. However, on my car at least, the bolts turned with the nuts. They are just captive pins on the top side, and the mounting didn't hold the bolt enough to overcome the torque required to break the nut loose. Maybe the dealership used some kind of thread locker when they installed the STI short shift kit. Regardless, I had to do the removal with the shifter still in the car. This wasn't a deal breaker, just meant tighter quarters for hands and tools. So if those four 10mm nuts won't come off after you remove the cover plate, don't waste time futzing with them, head into the car and work there.
- Looking back, this may have made the install easier, as the assembly was held in place while I was removing the pins, working with the neutral lock assembly, etc.

The neutral lock assembly will likely come apart on you, but don't panic. It goes back together fairly easily. Installing the forward bolt required some clever finger placement to keep everything together.

The stock shifter had some grease in the reverse lockout lever spring assembly, so I added some to the boomba assembly... don't do that. Made it feel mushy when lifting up the reverse lockout. It'll be easy to pull off the assembly at some point in the future and clean it all up, but I wish I didn't have to do that. Just grease the ball joints.

That's about it. If you are doing this work and have any questions, feel free to IM me here and I'll try to answer them for you.
I have to have the same problem when it comes to the shifter...the bolts kept turning with the nuts. So I have to ask if you had to do anything different with the stock shifter assembly stuck in the car when replacing the OEM shifter with the Boomba short throw shifter? I've watched the Subispeed install and I imagine getting to the different screws, nuts and bolts is a little different and perhaps more difficult. Any tips would be most helpful as this will be my 2nd time going at it!
pinoyWRX15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:18 PM   #108
JuicyPhartNugget
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 395689
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Honolulu, HI
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited
CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoyWRX15 View Post
I have to have the same problem when it comes to the shifter...the bolts kept turning with the nuts. So I have to ask if you had to do anything different with the stock shifter assembly stuck in the car when replacing the OEM shifter with the Boomba short throw shifter? I've watched the Subispeed install and I imagine getting to the different screws, nuts and bolts is a little different and perhaps more difficult. Any tips would be most helpful as this will be my 2nd time going at it!
use a vise grip from the top to keep the bolts/nuts from spinning
JuicyPhartNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:31 AM   #109
BOOMBA RACING
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 75640
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: 635 Wheat Lane, Wood Dale, IL
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WRB

Default

While we have not experienced that issue here on any installs we've done at the shop, we have had a customer or two tell us they have run into the issue you're having. What works best is to use an opened end wrench to try to take the nut off while holding the stud with a vice grip, or you can try to wedge something to push down on the nut as you loosen it in hopes that it will spin off the stud. Let us know if you get it figured out!
BOOMBA RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:56 PM   #110
gestevez1213
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 428818
Join Date: Aug 2015
Default Just installed

Hey guys. Got mine from SubiSpeed. Pain in the a** to install haha. They should've given me more Laffy Taffy's for what it's worth.

Either case, I wanted to ask you guys about something I came across.

The Neutral Plunger bolt that goes onto the side of the shifter assembly doesn't stay in place. I don't know why, and it could be that I'm doing something wrong, but it's not [completely] secure. It's in there, and the bolt is fastened as far as I can get it, but it definitely has about a 1/8th inch of slack and I'm afraid that if I power shift, it'll wiggle the Neutral Plunger out of alignment, and to be honest I don't know what that can lead to.

Also, the plunger itself is on the far end (right side) of the rail. It still catches, but something I'm worried about, and I can't get it straightened for the life of me...

Any thoughts? Feel free to constructively criticize lol. I just want to make sure I get this right!

Thanks!
gestevez1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:04 AM   #111
B1gturbo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 446291
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern PA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
ISM

Default

I'm currently using the kartboy short shift plate and bearing, and I'm now considering switching to the boomba unit. Any suggestions for removing that bearing? I hate the loud click every time I shift to neutral.
B1gturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:49 AM   #112
B1gturbo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 446291
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern PA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
ISM

Default

I finally got the parts and the time to install them, and figured I'd throw my review in the mix. I'd like to start by thanking everyone who suggested a 12mm ratchet wrench, as that saved a ton of time and knuckle skin.

I had the kartboy short shift plate and bearing kit installed for about 2000 miles, and it just wasn't quite what I was looking for. I loved the shortness of the throw, but the increased effort and noise from the bearing just weren't for me. I'm looking for a nice, smooth daily driver. So I ordered the boomba plate, and the torque solutions delrin bushing.

Removal of the kartboy bearing required a longer bolt, I used a 4" 5/16"x18. Also, a 7/8" socket to catch the bearing and a smaller socket to push the bearing through. I believe installation of the boomba plate requires the transmission to be lowered at least an inch, because of how large the plate is. I could not get the plate to slide on the trans until I removed the front support.

After the switch, shifting is dramatically smoother. The audible "click" when shifting to neutral is gone. The throw length is a bit longer than with the kartboy plate, but still definitely shorter than stock, and the whole shifting experience is better for me. My wrx is now the smoothest shifting car I've ever driven.

So now I've got a kartboy short shift kit for sale if anyone's interested
B1gturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:51 PM   #113
BOOMBA RACING
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 75640
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: 635 Wheat Lane, Wood Dale, IL
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1gturbo View Post
I finally got the parts and the time to install them, and figured I'd throw my review in the mix. I'd like to start by thanking everyone who suggested a 12mm ratchet wrench, as that saved a ton of time and knuckle skin.

I had the kartboy short shift plate and bearing kit installed for about 2000 miles, and it just wasn't quite what I was looking for. I loved the shortness of the throw, but the increased effort and noise from the bearing just weren't for me. I'm looking for a nice, smooth daily driver. So I ordered the boomba plate, and the torque solutions delrin bushing.

Removal of the kartboy bearing required a longer bolt, I used a 4" 5/16"x18. Also, a 7/8" socket to catch the bearing and a smaller socket to push the bearing through. I believe installation of the boomba plate requires the transmission to be lowered at least an inch, because of how large the plate is. I could not get the plate to slide on the trans until I removed the front support.

After the switch, shifting is dramatically smoother. The audible "click" when shifting to neutral is gone. The throw length is a bit longer than with the kartboy plate, but still definitely shorter than stock, and the whole shifting experience is better for me. My wrx is now the smoothest shifting car I've ever driven.

So now I've got a kartboy short shift kit for sale if anyone's interested
Thanks for the positive review!
BOOMBA RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:24 AM   #114
purered919
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 444175
Join Date: Apr 2016
Default

will this also eliminate the notchy feeling?
purered919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #115
BOOMBA RACING
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 75640
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: 635 Wheat Lane, Wood Dale, IL
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purered919 View Post
will this also eliminate the notchy feeling?
Yes due to the added weight of our shifter plate, it really helps with the notchiness of the shifter.
BOOMBA RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:29 PM   #116
The Fan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 421937
Join Date: May 2015
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WR Blue

Default

Is there any potential long term wear(vs oem) on any part of the transmission components for having a weighted shifter plate?
The Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:53 AM   #117
blackote
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 440000
Join Date: Feb 2016
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2016 WRX / Flex Fuel
CBS

Default

I have been on the Shifter plate for 30k+ plus miles and have not had a single issue.
blackote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:50 PM   #118
The Fan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 421937
Join Date: May 2015
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WR Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackote View Post
I have been on the Shifter plate for 30k+ plus miles and have not had a single issue.


Good to know!
The Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:09 AM   #119
pmanliu
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 361107
Join Date: Jul 2013
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2017 WRX

Default

For those with the shift plate, is there any way to retain the shifter cover?
pmanliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.