Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday December 10, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2016, 04:10 PM   #26
SouthernScoobie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 452491
Join Date: Aug 2016
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza WRX
Grey

Default

One last question,

This entire setup is based upon the TGVs having been deleted, yes? Otherwise you wouldn't be able to use the connectors.. Just double checking for my own mind.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
SouthernScoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:30 PM   #27
SurfGuruJeff
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 148974
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
2010 4x4 Silverado
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernScoobie View Post
One last question,

This entire setup is based upon the TGVs having been deleted, yes? Otherwise you wouldn't be able to use the connectors.. Just double checking for my own mind.
Actually, you can still retain your TGVs

From Cobb's Flex Fuel Tuning Guide:
"Please see "TGV Duplication Mode" section of the Subaru Custom Sensor Logging document if planning to utilize TGV input option(s) while retaining TGV hardware."
SurfGuruJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:00 PM   #28
SouthernScoobie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 452491
Join Date: Aug 2016
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza WRX
Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfGuruJeff View Post
Actually, you can still retain your TGVs

From Cobb's Flex Fuel Tuning Guide:
"Please see "TGV Duplication Mode" section of the Subaru Custom Sensor Logging document if planning to utilize TGV input option(s) while retaining TGV hardware."
Sweet! I'll look into that!
SouthernScoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:21 PM   #29
SouthernScoobie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 452491
Join Date: Aug 2016
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza WRX
Grey

Default

Have my parts on order. Still have to put together my soldering iron and go get the necessary finishing bits..

I'm really excited to try this. Tuner seems okay with it too as he apparently built his own!

Thanks Jeff!
SouthernScoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:44 PM   #30
SurfGuruJeff
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 148974
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
2010 4x4 Silverado
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernScoobie View Post
Have my parts on order. Still have to put together my soldering iron and go get the necessary finishing bits..

I'm really excited to try this. Tuner seems okay with it too as he apparently built his own!

Thanks Jeff!
Hopefully it all goes smoothly.

I'm going to try this with the nano and using the 5v source from the TGV, so stay tuned.

I ordered a bunch of parts to make kits for people that want them. I'm not interested in making a profit, so they'll be cheap. Basically everything except the sensor and the fuel line fittings.
SurfGuruJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:56 PM   #31
akirk92
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 433060
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Orlando, Fl
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Silver

Default

Im going to attempt this over the weekend...parts are coming in the mail so hopefully I can begin Friday! I'll keep you posted
akirk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:03 PM   #32
peekeesh
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316476
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
12 WRX
WRB

Default

Thanks OP for all the info you've provided.

Just ordered the parts as well. Got the nano version. Hopefully that one will work fine. Also, go get the sensor from amazon. It's $30 now.
peekeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:39 PM   #33
SouthernScoobie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 452491
Join Date: Aug 2016
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza WRX
Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfGuruJeff View Post
Hopefully it all goes smoothly.

I'm going to try this with the nano and using the 5v source from the TGV, so stay tuned.

I ordered a bunch of parts to make kits for people that want them. I'm not interested in making a profit, so they'll be cheap. Basically everything except the sensor and the fuel line fittings.
That would certainly make things simpler.. please keep us updated.

Wish I had known you were going to do that! Would be handy for me with the limited amount of time I have anyway.. oh well
SouthernScoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:23 AM   #34
albersondh
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 196882
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Holset baller on a budget.
Vehicle:
08 WRX

Default

Thanks for sharing this. Im on Raider and an 08 so cant use this for flex fuel. Have been using the Zietronix and GM FFV sensor for years and recently replaced the old massive FFV sensor with the newer small unit. Also recently changed some code in the logger; and Im now reading two 100psi transducers from the L and R TGV harness. Logging fuel psi and turbine drive psi.

What a great write up and great timing for me as I will have to go to Cobb for a flex fuel solution on my 08. Unless someone writes an SD with FFV ROM for DBW cars its my only option next to stand alone. This is going to save me some coin that will help to offset the AP purchase.

Keep the updates coming I would love to see this working with the nano. Thanks for sharing!
albersondh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:07 PM   #35
SurfGuruJeff
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 148974
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
2010 4x4 Silverado
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernScoobie View Post
That would certainly make things simpler.. please keep us updated.

Wish I had known you were going to do that! Would be handy for me with the limited amount of time I have anyway.. oh well
Either way, it'll be cheap! Maybe just a little more bulky using the Uno. And you'll still have to use a switched 12v wire to power the FF Sensor even if you power the Arduino with the 5v source TGV wire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albersondh View Post
What a great write up and great timing for me as I will have to go to Cobb for a flex fuel solution on my 08. Unless someone writes an SD with FFV ROM for DBW cars its my only option next to stand alone. This is going to save me some coin that will help to offset the AP purchase.

Keep the updates coming I would love to see this working with the nano. Thanks for sharing!
I was open source back in the day, too, but it sounds like support is fading for it. Cobb has continued to step up their game and make improvements, so I'm happy to stick with the Accessport.
SurfGuruJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:40 PM   #36
akirk92
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 433060
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Orlando, Fl
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Silver

Default

Is the eca supposed to have something jiggling inside it? Mine had a noise like something is loose when I moved it, but now there's nothing...not sure if something fell out
akirk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:15 PM   #37
SouthernScoobie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 452491
Join Date: Aug 2016
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza WRX
Grey

Default

Jeff, I have a technical question, but I'm not sure if you'll have the answer.

For my kit, I plan on having my tuner set R bank values to the L bank TGVs so I can hijack the left side harness. My plan is to make a new harness that goes in between the current connectors (I will probably replace the connectors with more available ones due to my inability to find the stock TGV connectors) and use the "input" wire for my flex data.

Here's the question. Do you think I could also hijack the 5v OUTPUT off the same harness with the TGVs still in working order? Or do you think that would add too much load to a system only designed to power one device? This would make everything MUCH more streamlined and less complicated. One little harness and I'm golden.
SouthernScoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:12 PM   #38
chchchino
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 303355
Join Date: Dec 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernScoobie View Post
Jeff, I have a technical question, but I'm not sure if you'll have the answer.

For my kit, I plan on having my tuner set R bank values to the L bank TGVs so I can hijack the left side harness. My plan is to make a new harness that goes in between the current connectors (I will probably replace the connectors with more available ones due to my inability to find the stock TGV connectors) and use the "input" wire for my flex data.

Here's the question. Do you think I could also hijack the 5v OUTPUT off the same harness with the TGVs still in working order? Or do you think that would add too much load to a system only designed to power one device? This would make everything MUCH more streamlined and less complicated. One little harness and I'm golden.
I dont believe it'll be too much benefit since you need to power the FF sensor with 12v anyway.
chchchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 03:23 PM   #39
SurfGuruJeff
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 148974
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
2010 4x4 Silverado
White

Default

I don't think it'll put any serious strain on the system by using the TGV's 5v source. I can check the current draw from the arduino while it pulls from the TGV 5v source and post my findings.
SurfGuruJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:18 AM   #40
SurfGuruJeff
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 148974
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
2010 4x4 Silverado
White

Default

Tested the Arduino Nano today. The code uploaded and reads the sensor just as the Arduino Uno, but there are a couple problems:

1. Somehow there is a voltage output difference between the Uno and Nano. I'm not sure what this stems from, but I'll need a lower ohm resistor. The Nano was reading E78 when powered by the 12v---> 5v USB car charger where it should be E84-E85.
2. Powering the Nano or Uno using the 5v TGV source will likely not work because the voltage output was really far off (should say E84-E85, but said E65), and dropping down to a lower ohm resistor didn't net a large increase in voltage output (E67). Perhaps a much lower RC filter would work. I don't know how to calculate this.

I tried a 3.3k ohm resistor (do I also need to change the capacitor?) on the RC filter (that goes to the TGV input) while the Nano was powered by the 12v rear O2 sensor source, and it got closer to the correct ethanol content (output E81), so I'll pick up a lower resistor tomorrow and see what works best.








85 is the ethanol content
220 is the pwm output
3.9 is the voltage that the Nano should be outputting
135 is the frequency in hz that the sensor is outputting
SurfGuruJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:30 AM   #41
peekeesh
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316476
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
12 WRX
WRB

Default

So the nano was receiving the correct frequency from the flex fuel sensor but the output voltage is incorrect? Are the wrong outputs seen on both ap and sketch or only on AP?
peekeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:27 PM   #42
Kentmx25
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 224544
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Butler, PA
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza WRX

Default

You say in the first post not to use it for the uno or nano but you show it working for the uno. Is it correct to use the uno and just not the nano quite yet?
Kentmx25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:30 PM   #43
SurfGuruJeff
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 148974
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
2010 4x4 Silverado
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentmx25 View Post
You say in the first post not to use it for the uno or nano but you show it working for the uno. Is it correct to use the uno and just not the nano quite yet?
I'm testing both right now. The original guy that had the idea took some shortcuts that I'm trying to make right. It's taking some time to test.
SurfGuruJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:21 PM   #44
Kentmx25
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 224544
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Butler, PA
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfGuruJeff View Post
I'm testing both right now. The original guy that had the idea took some shortcuts that I'm trying to make right. It's taking some time to test.
No problem just got a little confused by how it was working and in other posts it wasn't working correctly. Im just glad that you found this. I was so disappointed by cobbs price for the flex fuel kit and the price to put this kit together is more reasonable.
Kentmx25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:17 PM   #45
SurfGuruJeff
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 148974
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
2010 4x4 Silverado
White

Default

OK, so go by the instruction on the first post.

I was trying out a Voltage Regulator to avoid using the USB car charger, which works, but I had to try a couple different resistors to get the voltage back to where it should be. My personal unit is powered by the voltage regulator now, and I actually just ended up bumping up the multiplier in the code for the pwm_output (1.125 instead of 1.11). This is only relevant if you don't want to use the USB car charger as your Arduino power source.

Note that using the TGV 5v source just won't work for powering the Arduino, running its components, and outputting enough voltage. The car charger or Voltage Regulator are needed.
SurfGuruJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:02 PM   #46
akirk92
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 433060
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Orlando, Fl
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Silver

Default

Does anyone have pictures of the mounted eca? I'm not sure what fuel line to put mine on
akirk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:08 PM   #47
peekeesh
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316476
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
12 WRX
WRB

Default

I used the top one.
peekeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:11 PM   #48
chchchino
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 303355
Join Date: Dec 2011
Default

ECA placement can be the same as cobbs instructions. im not surprised the tgv 5v doesnt output enough power to get everything running. i think its better to just to tap a single 12v and use it to power the ECA as well as the arduino. im surprised no one has come up with a arduino specifically for automotive use with a variable 12v input. something that can regulate the cars voltage back down to 5v easily.

well there is, but its the same size as the uno and roughly 5 times more expensive
http://www.rugged-circuits.com/micro...pecial-edition
chchchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:02 PM   #49
no694terry
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 220816
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Vehicle:
2018 Exotruck
EJ22e 415whp/398wtq

Default

i love your guys diy and enthusiasm, but why reinvent the wheel
no694terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:18 PM   #50
chchchino
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 303355
Join Date: Dec 2011
Default

already suggested that, this is just a cheaper diy version. personally i have all the cobb hardware. also flexconverter doesnt sell a 08+ compatible version anymore due to conflict of interests. when cobb announces GD flexfuel they may pull the GD version and leave only the universal version up for sale.

anyways if anyone wanted to get the universal version from flexconverter then you could wire it up with the instructions in this thread to get it going on a 08+ car.
chchchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.