Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday November 22, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors > Non-Subaru News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2017, 07:27 PM   #426
2slofouru
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 90539
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lake Charles
Vehicle:
My BOV goes
COVFEFE!

Default

I'm curious to see the weight increase if they get an awd eventually, the saving grace of this car for now (for the roll ricers / er racers) is the power to weight ratio. Our first one to arrive will likely be spoken for or sell within a few days, there seems to be a large rice base in our area and plenty of old money for someone's child to splurge on this car. The guys at work don't believe me when I say this. Not sure if I will be doing our first pdi but I will do a ride along if not, lol.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
2slofouru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:04 PM   #427
torquemada
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 128484
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Germany
Vehicle:
2006 EDM WRX STI
WRB

Default

I canīt remember an AWD car from Honda (not a SUV etc)
torquemada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:24 PM   #428
P.Rico
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 239452
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Wilmington, DE
Vehicle:
2012 Volvo S60 T6
2005 Outback 2.5i

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquemada View Post
I canīt remember an AWD car from Honda (not a SUV etc)
Semantics (North America badging) aside, the TL and RL had SH-AWD, and now the NSX does.
P.Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:28 PM   #429
torquemada
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 128484
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Germany
Vehicle:
2006 EDM WRX STI
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Rico View Post
Semantics (North America badging) aside, the TL and RL had SH-AWD, and now the NSX does.
Honda did not sell these in Europe iirc
torquemada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:45 AM   #430
AVANTI R5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 73805
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NEPA
Vehicle:
Hint
forward in Italian

Default Honda looks at adding power, all-wheel drive to Civic Type R

Quote:
Honda looks at adding power, all-wheel drive to Civic Type R

Jun 19, 2017
2017 Honda Civic Type R
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Honda's Civic Type R has finally landed in the United States, but the automaker is already hinting at adding new variants.

Honda wants the additional variants to keep interest in the Civic Type R, its halo in the U.S., alive after the initial buzz has worn off. Itís a formula thatís worked well for cars like the Chevrolet Corvette and Porsche 911, and now Honda wants to emulate it for its hot hatch.

Speaking with Automotive News (subscription required), Hideki Matsumoto, chief engineer for the Civic line, said Honda was hopeful of adding more variants in order to keep sales volume stable over the product cycle. The move could also boost the carís profitability if the new versions are priced higher than the current $34,775 starting price.

According to Matsumoto, Honda is looking at a more powerful version as well as a softer version designed for grand touring. A version with all-wheel drive to better challenge the Ford Focus RS, Subaru WRX STI and Volkswagen Golf R is also possible.

Right now the Civic Type R is offered exclusively with a 306-horsepower turbocharged engine, a 6-speed manual, and front-wheel driveóa mechanical setup identical to the previous-generation Civic Type sold overseas. This was done to provide a link between the first Civic Type R in the U.S. and the cult status its predecessor has developed among Honda fans.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...o-civic-type-r
AVANTI R5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:20 AM   #431
Pre
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 139693
Join Date: Feb 2007
Vehicle:
5 do - all the time

Default

Is possible, are the key words. At this point it's all hypothetical. I'd like to see it, but I wouldn't be sitting and waiting on it.
Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:36 PM   #432
MaddMax
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 9264
Join Date: Aug 2001
Vehicle:
2016 BMW M235i 6MT

Default

AWD Civic? Not with this generation. Even with an AWD system similar to that of the Focus RS, incorporating something like that would take a few years of R&D. Not until Honda decides that they'll sell an AWD Civic will they offer an AWD CTR.

With that said, AWD Civics and Accords would seriously impact Subaru.
MaddMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:30 PM   #433
DougNuts
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 192568
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgetown, KY
Vehicle:
2015 Outback 3.6R

Default

Acura is probably planning to produce an AWD car with this engine, so I would imagine that could lead to the ability to parts bin an AWD CTR. I could see them adding a version with sunroof and safety suite as well.

Anyway, I don't know if I'm suffering from the release excitement or if the desire will last, but the Type-R has been dominating my thoughts all weekend. I still need to see one in person to be sure I want one. The wife was oddly supportive, not sure if it was a Father's Day thing or if she really thinks I should look into it further.

Last edited by DougNuts; 06-19-2017 at 01:37 PM.
DougNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:38 PM   #434
Fierysun
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 82745
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Cal
Vehicle:
2005 Subaru STI
2003 EJ207 S204 Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddMax View Post
With that said, AWD Civics and Accords would impact Subaru sales.
Definitely
Fierysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:56 PM   #435
A W
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 265433
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierysun View Post
Definitely
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougNuts View Post
Acura is probably planning to produce an AWD car with this engine, so I would imagine that could lead to the ability to parts bin an AWD CTR. I could see them adding a version with sunroof and safety suite as well.

Anyway, I don't know if I'm suffering from the release excitement or if the desire will last, but the Type-R has been dominating my thoughts all weekend. I still need to see one in person to be sure I want one. The wife was oddly supportive, not sure if it was a Father's Day thing or if she really thinks I should look into it further.
LOLOLOL

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/06/19/h...p-tile-small-1


Quote:
[By: ]John Beltz Snyder

The Honda Civic Type R has gone on sale in the US, and it promises a lot of entertainment for its eager fan base. On our recent drive, we found it to be impressively stable for a front-drive car boasting 306 horsepower. Making this more impressive, as Jalopnik reports, the Type R makes 295 hp at the wheel according to a dyno test. Compared to many vehicles, that's a rather small loss between the engine and the wheels.

If, for some reason, the Type R isn't powerful enough for you, or you don't like the front-drive layout, Honda might still find a way to make you a Type R customer. According to Automotive News, Honda is planning a number of variants to broaden the appeal and extend sales once the first enthusiasts have already made their purchases.

The first candidate for a special Type R would be a sportier, more powerful version. Honda's chief engineer for the Civic lineup, Hideki Matsumoto, told Automotive News that a more civilized grand touring version is also under consideration. Perhaps most interesting is the possibility of an all-wheel-drive Type R that would compete more directly with the likes of the Volkswagen Golf R, Subaru WRX STI, and Ford Focus RS. So, while the wait is over for the Type R's arrival in the US, the slow burn of the rollout is just beginning as Honda works to give the model staying power in the marketplace
A W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:25 PM   #436
Sid03SVT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 183032
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: CT
Vehicle:
OLD Family Wagon
mundane

Default

Polarizing styling aside, if Honda had a version of this with a good awd system, pending a test drive, I'd likely buy it.
Sid03SVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:50 PM   #437
heavyD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 194216
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Vehicle:
2016 Golf R

Default

I can't see it happening this generation. They would have to be starting pretty soon to have AWD implemented in the next couple of years before they move to the next Civic.
heavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:58 PM   #438
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: www.testdrivemylife.com
Vehicle:
2018 Legacy /allroad
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

Honda is killing it today with the civic. I just spend several minutes seriously considering a Civic SI. For 24 grand it is stacked with options and fun with a manual. That is basically give away money. For a daily driver it would be a hoot.
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:11 PM   #439
Pre
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 139693
Join Date: Feb 2007
Vehicle:
5 do - all the time

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
Honda is killing it today with the civic. I just spend several minutes seriously considering a Civic SI. For 24 grand it is stacked with options and fun with a manual. That is basically give away money. For a daily driver it would be a hoot.
Yeah but come on dude, respectfully, you are the bar slut. One day it's "That GTI has my consideration.". Ridgeline at one time, now SI, wasn't it the Forrster one day, Outback another, and so on? I don't know why you just don't buy another Golf R and get it over with!
Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:17 PM   #440
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
06 Forester 04 Forester

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddMax View Post
AWD Civic? Not with this generation. Even with an AWD system similar to that of the Focus RS, incorporating something like that would take a few years of R&D. Not until Honda decides that they'll sell an AWD Civic will they offer an AWD CTR.

With that said, AWD Civics and Accords would seriously impact Subaru.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierysun View Post
Definitely
Doubt it.


I wonder if they still have AWD Civics in Japan. Saw several of them on my 2008 trip.

Subaru supposedly used WRC to bring tech to their street cars. Could Honda do the same? With their GRC cars?
JustyWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:42 PM   #441
VarmintCong
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 379605
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Peabody, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Civic Sport
2012 Outback 2.5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
I can't see it happening this generation. They would have to be starting pretty soon to have AWD implemented in the next couple of years before they move to the next Civic.
The center tunnel indicates AWD has been implemented already, probably reserved for the Acura.
VarmintCong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:02 PM   #442
Scooby-Doode
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 28976
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New York
Vehicle:
2016 Step 2 Push
Buggy GT

Default

Dyno numbers are in. Impressive. Biting my lip because I want this car, damn FWD.........

https://www.motor1.com/news/148915/h...c-type-r-dyno/
Scooby-Doode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:45 PM   #443
Skylab
n00b Moderator
Moderator
 
Member#: 4263
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Encinitas
Default 2018 Honda Civic Type R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre View Post
Yeah but come on dude, respectfully, you are the bar slut. One day it's "That GTI has my consideration.". Ridgeline at one time, now SI, wasn't it the Forrster one day, Outback another, and so on? I don't know why you just don't buy another Golf R and get it over with!


...because guys like me and SCRAP have no loyalty. If you've seen the cars I've owned...

I fully admit to being not-sane of mind when I say that an '05 Scion xB is as much fun to drive as a '16 Golf R.

That being said, I'm not sure I'd want 300 hp to the front wheels.
Skylab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:52 PM   #444
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: www.testdrivemylife.com
Vehicle:
2018 Legacy /allroad
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

Precisely you guys should be honored and enjoy the show with me battling my practical side vs my passionate side. Those cars are all over the place because my lifestyle wants to accommodate all kinds of things. I need a new outback or forester, that would work for all my needs. Even a ridgeline is on my practical side. However, my passionate side wants a GTI or Golf R or a new 2020 WRX if it is on the SGP. I also love the V90 cross country, but financially that is about as dumb as it gets.

I am all over the map because my needs are all over the map. If I am honest about how I drive on a daily basis a 2.5I forester would be a perfect car. But my enthsusiast side is never going to die and wither. Luckily I have classics like the Z and roadster to scratch that itch...

Still a GTI would be VERY very nice.

But so would an SI, or a 3.6 R outback, or a XC60 or a touareg.

I can afford any of them. I stopped chasing 0-60 a long time ago when I realized older cars were infinitely more involving than new ones. My Z has a connection with the road and feel that no Golf R or RS or STI will ever have in a million years. Oh and My Z is only gaining in value over time. True fun and enjoyment is found in the classic car world. New cars are all too removed and isolated from what is going on. Unless you can afford a 911R (not talking to you E. Nick... )then looking for a true analog driving experience with a new car is an exercise in frustration.
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:14 AM   #445
Pre
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 139693
Join Date: Feb 2007
Vehicle:
5 do - all the time

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
...because guys like me and SCRAP have no loyalty. If you've seen the cars I've owned...

I fully admit to being not-sane of mind when I say that an '05 Scion xB is as much fun to drive as a '16 Golf R.

That being said, I'm not sure I'd want 300 hp to the front wheels.
It was a mild rib only. And friendly to boot. If he didn't have that lease he would have swapped cars at least twice since he leased the audi. His lease was a protection plan against himself. I speak from experience on this. That's why I leased my Leaf!
Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:18 AM   #446
Pre
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 139693
Join Date: Feb 2007
Vehicle:
5 do - all the time

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post


I can afford any of them. I stopped chasing 0-60 a long time ago when I realized older cars were infinitely more involving than new ones. My Z has a connection with the road and feel that no Golf R or RS or STI will ever have in a million years. Oh and My Z is only gaining in value over time. True fun and enjoyment is found in the classic car world. New cars are all too removed and isolated from what is going on. Unless you can afford a 911R (not talking to you E. Nick... )then looking for a true analog driving experience with a new car is an exercise in frustration.
I wish you could drive the RS. Not to buy, I know, the rear seat area ain't big enough. But that isolated and disconnected stuff, nope. It has outstanding feel. Suspension and stiff chassis let you feel totally connected, and it's analog in feel, even the gauges. Just have to disco the FENG. It will never win a stop light contest but in a turn, man you'd have to spend big money to best it.....

Matt posted another one today.

Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:27 AM   #447
Fierysun
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 82745
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Cal
Vehicle:
2005 Subaru STI
2003 EJ207 S204 Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post
Doubt it.


I wonder if they still have AWD Civics in Japan. Saw several of them on my 2008 trip.

Subaru supposedly used WRC to bring tech to their street cars. Could Honda do the same? With their GRC cars?
AWD is Subaru's niche, however their engines isn't as durable as Honda's and Honda has "basically" (with exceptions of NSX, S2000, etc) been a FWD company in the U.S.. However, if Honda can put together a really good AWD package to go along with one of their better motors, their going take some of Subaru's sales.
Fierysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:44 AM   #448
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 50586
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Honolulu Hawaii
Vehicle:
13 Tacoma
DaKine Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquemada View Post
Well Trump is president so theres that too
murrdogg24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:01 AM   #449
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Mahwah, New Jersey
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrdogg24 View Post
Well Trump is president so theres that too
Wait what? When did that happen?

#NotMyPresident

#KeepCalmAndCTROn
chanomatik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:06 AM   #450
Sid03SVT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 183032
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: CT
Vehicle:
OLD Family Wagon
mundane

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
Precisely you guys should be honored and enjoy the show with me battling my practical side vs my passionate side. Those cars are all over the place because my lifestyle wants to accommodate all kinds of things. I need a new outback or forester, that would work for all my needs. Even a ridgeline is on my practical side. However, my passionate side wants a GTI or Golf R or a new 2020 WRX if it is on the SGP. I also love the V90 cross country, but financially that is about as dumb as it gets.

I am all over the map because my needs are all over the map. If I am honest about how I drive on a daily basis a 2.5I forester would be a perfect car. But my enthsusiast side is never going to die and wither. Luckily I have classics like the Z and roadster to scratch that itch...

Still a GTI would be VERY very nice.

But so would an SI, or a 3.6 R outback, or a XC60 or a touareg.

I can afford any of them. I stopped chasing 0-60 a long time ago when I realized older cars were infinitely more involving than new ones. My Z has a connection with the road and feel that no Golf R or RS or STI will ever have in a million years. Oh and My Z is only gaining in value over time. True fun and enjoyment is found in the classic car world. New cars are all too removed and isolated from what is going on. Unless you can afford a 911R (not talking to you E. Nick... )then looking for a true analog driving experience with a new car is an exercise in frustration.
Scrap I tried to figure out how many cars I "needed" and the list started to get very long indeed...
1.) family friendly daily, preferably electric
2.) weekend drop top cruiser that is family friendly
3.) road tripper wagon
4.) 2-seat drop top that is street friendly
5.) track car
6.) my nostalgia mobile
7.) four door truck that I can use on road (trips to the HD/Lowes, etc.)
8.) off-road focused 4wd, wrangler, taco, f-series, whatever I can bash on and not care

I stopped there; I could easily find a need for 10 vehicles, then there is what my wife needs.

Brand loyalty is waste of time, no one manufacturer makes everything, and if they come close, they don't do it well.

Ford/GM - 1/2 ton & up trucks, muscle cars, vettes, etc.
BMW/Merc/Audi - lease only luxury
Porsche - I'd probably buy a Cayman or 911 if I didn't have a kid
VW - nothing really interests me other than the R, and it doesn't really work for me cargo capacity-wise
Lexus/Acura - purchase only luxury
Toyota/Honda - eco-cars/toasters & small trucks
Mazda - more funner eco-cars/toasters
Subaru - used to make good "all rounders", not anymore.
FCA - whole lot of nope
Nissan/Infiniti - some more nope
Mitsubishi - nope nope nope nope
Kia/Hyundai - I'm not sure yet, people keep telling me they are getting better

that's most of it, and although it is subject to change, it hasn't changed much in the past decade
Sid03SVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.