Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 17, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-22-2019, 01:14 AM   #1
scoobynub650
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 494219
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX TR
White

Default How do I figure out what wheels clear brembos?

I currently have an 06 subie hawkeye wrx and I believe my current aftermarket wheels are 18x9 or 18x9.5 5x100 bolt pattern. My tires are 235/40R18 but I don't know what offset these wheels are. But they clear my brembos. I'm looking to get some cheap 2nd pair of wheels maybe some 17"-18" rota's but I have no idea what would even clear my brembos. Does anyone have any tips besides having to test out the wheels on my car?
scoobynub650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2019, 12:03 PM   #2
MountainMan10
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 501522
Vehicle:
2019 WRX STI
Pearl White

This site will tell you the OEM wheel sizes and offsets.
https://www.wheel-size.com/

Looks like your tires and wheels may not be OEM. For that tire size it shows 8jx18 ET 48 wheels.

TireRack.com shows 51 choices in that size. If they list them for your model, they should fit.
MountainMan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:52 AM   #3
scubaboo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 464859

Best to go look for wheels that fit your budget, then search if they will fit over Brembos.

I know Rota Gravels will fit, that's one option for you.
scubaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:39 PM   #4
Mach V Dan
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 12029
Chapter/Region: MAIC

You could just shop for wheels at a Subaru specialty place like FastWRX.com. Almost every wheel we offer clears Brembos, and each one specifically says if it does or doesn't.

FastWRX.com Wheel Department

Dan
Mach V
FastWRX.com
Mach V Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:14 AM   #5
MountainMan10
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 501522
Vehicle:
2019 WRX STI
Pearl White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach V Dan View Post
You could just shop for wheels at a Subaru specialty place like FastWRX.com. Almost every wheel we offer clears Brembos, and each one specifically says if it does or doesn't.

FastWRX.com Wheel Department

Dan
Mach V
FastWRX.com
You carry the Prodrive GT1 in a 53 offset. Can you answer why there are not more options close the the OEM 55 offset?
MountainMan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:28 PM   #6
mustang5o
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 499192

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan10 View Post

Looks like your tires and wheels may not be OEM. For that tire size it shows 8jx18 ET 48 wheels.

TireRack.com shows 51 choices in that size. If they list them for your model, they should fit.
I'm still a bit of newbie on some aspects of these cars but that site shows the USDM had both a 2.0T and a 2.5T engine in 2008. It also shows the JDM with a 2.0T of course.

As for clearing the brakes it should be as simple as MountainMan10 says but if you added Brembo's after the fact, then you have something else to think about.
mustang5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:34 PM   #7
Mach V Dan
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 12029
Chapter/Region: MAIC

Quote:
You carry the Prodrive GT1 in a 53 offset. Can you answer why there are not more options close the the OEM 55 offset?
Because most consumers prefer wider/lower offset wheels.

Dan
Mach V
FastWRX.com
Mach V Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:03 AM   #8
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
1996 Impreza coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobynub650 View Post
I currently have an 06 subie hawkeye wrx and I believe my current aftermarket wheels are 18x9 or 18x9.5 5x100 bolt pattern. My tires are 235/40R18 but I don't know what offset these wheels are. But they clear my brembos. I'm looking to get some cheap 2nd pair of wheels maybe some 17"-18" rota's but I have no idea what would even clear my brembos. Does anyone have any tips besides having to test out the wheels on my car?
(1) Take one of your existing wheels and look all around the inside of the barrel and on the backs of the spokes. Often the size and offset are stamped or cast into the wheel.

(2) Many wheel vendors allow you to select a specific year/make/model and only show the wheels that will fit that specific combination. Shop for wheels for an '04 STI and they'll fit your WRX with STI Brembos.

Quote:
Not really. I don't know where they source their information, but I've found all sorts of inaccuracies when I've tried to use that site as a source of information. Subarus, Cadillacs, M-Bs, BMWs, all had screwed up info.

Quote:
Looks like your tires and wheels may not be OEM.
There's no "may not be" about it. The '06 WRX came with 17" wheels, which has been known for about 13 years now.

Quote:
Are you looking at wheels for his '06 WRX? If so, then that list isn't what he needs, as TR wouldn't have been assessing those wheels for Brembo clearance.
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote