Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-09-2006, 09:10 PM   #1
Impretzle
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 74900
Vehicle:
2008 STI
black

Default Oversteer on lefts, understeer on rights

My car will kick out on lefts but not so much on right hand turns. The same action that would result in oversteer around a left hand turn will load up the outside front too much on a right turn, resulting in some weird understeer / crabwalking action. It will eventually oversteer around a right, but it takes more forcing. I'd like it to turn both ways equally.. My turn in feels better and less understeery around lefts...

So when I get an alignment, should I take the toe settings from the right side of the car, and get them to change the left side to match? Thanks

-Matt

BTW, my friend's 2.5rs did the same thing, but it was massive oversteer every time you turned left. The rear passenger side wheel was slightly bent in, and had noticable positive camber... My car has negative camber in the back though, and nothing looks bent. Will the "DIY Alignment" work for the rear?
Impretzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2006, 12:53 AM   #2
gc822
*** Banned ***

Member#: 81217
Chapter/Region: Tri-State

it sounds like either an alignment issue or a driver issue to me

and if your friends car had positive camber in the rear and negative in the front I'm sure that would make things a little wacky
gc822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 02:31 AM   #3
Back Road Runner
Scooby Guru

Member#: 60082
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 Forester STI
Silver

One thing I've noticed in the past with my personal driving exploits into the form of drifting(just for fun) is that we as drivers tend to turn left and right differently. We don't notice this, but since we're offset to one side of the car, we behave differently turning one way or the other. In every aspect we vary. We turn in at different times, we steer at different rates, we attack the corner using a different line, etc. This all leads to an odd effect. If we begin to pay attention, we find that the car behaves differently depending on if we turn left or turn right. It's not the car, it's us. It actually took me a little bit of time and concious effort to change my natural behavior to create a more equal turn behavior left and right.

Well, I guess I could say it's the car, but it would be from physical damage or improper alignment.

Really, the only other physical factor is that we as a driver add weight to the one side of the car, and the left-right weight balance would be slightly off. However, I'd assume this is already off by default as various components and hardware that make up a car and all its features are placed in an offset fashon. The steering wheel's on the left side, the battery's on the left side, the heater fan is on the right, the glovebox is on the right, etc. The manufacturer may have made the car as a whole balance perfectly or perhaps offset it enough to make the car perfectly balanced with an "average" weight driver in the driver's seat. Who knows without actually measuring corner weights. Still a hundred even 500 physical pounds offset to one side doesn't create a massive variance in turning one way or the other. It can be noticable, but it's not drastic.
Back Road Runner is offline   Reply With Quote