Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 22, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Classifieds > Vendor 'For Sale' Classifieds > Engine/Power/Exhaust

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-21-2018, 04:05 PM   #126
kaeo_15
Top Scoob 021
Member Sales Rating: (44)

Member#: 115406
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
On to the next...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meebs86 View Post
Does anyone else notice that the car still has a ridiculous amount of power even if its 95F and humid outside? This tune is amazing. It puts down enough torque that I can't go WOT on wet roads in 1st or 2nd gear without the back end kicking out due to wheel spin (and thats mashing on the gas after already the car is already moving and not launching)

Oh.. and on the plus side, since E85 is so stupid cheap, it drops the cost of fuel to just above 'regular' and should result in some cost savings over time.
Word...too bad i'm only getting 16.8MPG (Lead foot).
kaeo_15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2018, 04:23 PM   #127
Woodard2589
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 484356

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaeo_15 View Post
Word...too bad i'm only getting 16.8MPG (Lead foot).
Damn, I still get the same 28mpg I had on straight 93.
Woodard2589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:51 AM   #128
goodysgota72
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 464619
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
WRBlue

Quote:
Does anyone else notice that the car still has a ridiculous amount of power even if its 95F and humid outside? This tune is amazing. It puts down enough torque that I can't go WOT on wet roads in 1st or 2nd gear without the back end kicking out due to wheel spin (and thats mashing on the gas after already the car is already moving and not launching)

Oh.. and on the plus side, since E85 is so stupid cheap, it drops the cost of fuel to just above 'regular' and should result in some cost savings over time.

Ive only got 30 miles or so in it but its definitely hot here in Texas. Boost season should be fun!
goodysgota72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:06 PM   #129
meebs86
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 236467

Hey Ian!

I have a couple questions for you that an answer could be useful for the community:

1. towards the bottom of your original post.. you forgot to finish a sentence, and I'm really curious what the last part is:
"The concerns of ethanol being used in non-FlexFuel vehicles is..."

2. I saw that around "e54" is about the max safe ethanol ratio for the tune. What is the minimum (in terms of being safe for the engine)? I noticed E85 can now vary between 51-83% depending on the time of year/fueling station etc. It seems like it'll be hard to 'know' we have at least E30 in the tank without adding a little extra E85 each tank. Knowing at what low-ethanol point would cause an issue would be helpful.

Thanks!
meebs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:29 PM   #130
kaeo_15
Top Scoob 021
Member Sales Rating: (44)

Member#: 115406
Vehicle:
On to the next...

^I'm not an expert, but I did buy a Ethanol test kit from Amazon for like $25. I store E85 in 5 gallon jugs (No stations local to me) and test before use. I then use this calculator to ballpark it:

http://www.georgebelton.com/E85Calculator.php

I believe you can find out what percentage is available at your local station, and then use the calculator to figure out what mix to do. I have settled on around E35-E36 for my car.

Hope that helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodard2589 View Post
Damn, I still get the same 28mpg I had on straight 93.
Yeah, my commute is 3.5 miles each way. Not the best for MPG.
kaeo_15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:43 PM   #131
goodysgota72
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
WRBlue

Quote:

2. I saw that around "e54" is about the max safe ethanol ratio for the tune. What is the minimum (in terms of being safe for the engine)? I noticed E85 can now vary between 51-83% depending on the time of year/fueling station etc. It seems like it'll be hard to 'know' we have at least E30 in the tank without adding a little extra E85 each tank. Knowing at what low-ethanol point would cause an issue would be helpful.

Thanks!

I use the fuel it tester off of eBay and it goes down to 10% ethanol so I can verify what my 93 ethanol percentage is as well. Most testers stop at 70%.

That said the minimum e-content for e85 in Texas is e70. So far I have tested dead on e70 at my nearest pump. I plan on checking the e85 e-content from the station I plan on using to get some statistical data and any trends. I bet it stays close to the mandated minimum however.

It is easier since I have a cookie cutter commute that rarely changes.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:45 PM   #132
xorvious
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 483462

Does anyone mix using a lower octane rating than 91 for the gas? Its hard to find any 91 near me that isn't labeled as "Premium recreational fuel" which has no ethanol in it and costs quite a bit.
Could I mix 87 octane and use a touch more e85 to compensate?
xorvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:24 AM   #133
meebs86
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 236467

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorvious View Post
Does anyone mix using a lower octane rating than 91 for the gas? Its hard to find any 91 near me that isn't labeled as "Premium recreational fuel" which has no ethanol in it and costs quite a bit.
Could I mix 87 octane and use a touch more e85 to compensate?
I asked Ian about that previously, and he says its not recommended.
meebs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:14 PM   #134
goodysgota72
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
WRBlue

Quote:
I asked Ian about that previously, and he says its not recommended.

Im trying to think through that. You can get to the same octane level but the additional ethanol required would demand higher injector open times than expected compared to using 93/E85 mixed E30.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:21 PM   #135
13aphomet
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (3)

Member#: 343554
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2016 doubleYOUare-ex
CWP

I picked up the stage1 e30 tune this week and I'm loving it!! The power is smooth but very strong and you can definitely tell every time you put your foot down. I'm still on my first tank.

Is the only way to find the e content of your local gas station's e85, to test it yourself? Or is that information logged somewhere? My pump just says between 51% and 83%.. pretty big spread.
13aphomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:14 PM   #136
goodysgota72
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
WRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13aphomet View Post
I picked up the stage1 e30 tune this week and I'm loving it!! The power is smooth but very strong and you can definitely tell every time you put your foot down. I'm still on my first tank.

Is the only way to find the e content of your local gas station's e85, to test it yourself? Or is that information logged somewhere? My pump just says between 51% and 83%.. pretty big spread.

Local tuning shop may have some tribal knowledge there, but its best to test yourself. It wont be posted.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:26 PM   #137
BenC94
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 486744

Does the stage 1 tune require any modifications or just the tune?
BenC94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:31 PM   #138
maperformance
NASIOC Vendor
Vendor Sales Rating: (80)

Member#: 141043
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
DGM

Just the tune. No other hardware is required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenC94 View Post
Does the stage 1 tune require any modifications or just the tune?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I want to earn your business, PM me and tell us how we can become your one stop shop for performance parts today!
ACL / AEM / ACT / Cosworth / Grimmspeed / Invidia / Ksport / Manley / Mishimoto / PTE / Tomei / Turbosmart / Wiseco
maperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:34 PM   #139
Woodard2589
Scooby Newbie

You'd have to test it yourself or go to flex fuel so you can see it in your AP but then you'd need a custom tune. I just run the mix a little strong to make up for whatever variance it might have. I could be wrong but I dont see any harm besides worse mpg of running a higher ethanol content as long as it's not straight e85.

Quote:

Old 06-28-2018, 04:04 PM   #140
13aphomet
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (3)

Member#: 343554
Vehicle:
2016 doubleYOUare-ex
CWP

Thanks for the reply!! I may just get a test kit for the hell of it.
I put 5 gallons of it in for my first tank, per Ian's instructions, and it's been running great! I've had one instance of -1.41 feedback knock, and that's all so far - which is farrrrr less knock than I was having with just the regular 93 tune.

The car really pulls though. It doesn't seem to be the kind of power that snaps your neck, but more of a smooth delivery where before you know it, your car is FLOATING. It scares me, so that's an A+ in my book, right? hahah

Thanks again to MAPerformance for being excellent innovators and offering this for way too low of a price!!
13aphomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:07 PM   #141
maperformance
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
2015 WRX
DGM

Glad you're enjoying it so far

Quote:
Thanks for the reply!! I may just get a test kit for the hell of it.
I put 5 gallons of it in for my first tank, per Ian's instructions, and it's been running great! I've had one instance of -1.41 feedback knock, and that's all so far - which is farrrrr less knock than I was having with just the regular 93 tune.

The car really pulls though. It doesn't seem to be the kind of power that snaps your neck, but more of a smooth delivery where before you know it, your car is FLOATING. It scares me, so that's an A+ in my book, right? hahah

Thanks again to MAPerformance for being excellent innovators and offering this for way too low of a price!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I want to earn your business, PM me and tell us how we can become your one stop shop for performance parts today!
ACL / AEM / ACT / Cosworth / Grimmspeed / Invidia / Ksport / Manley / Mishimoto / PTE / Tomei / Turbosmart / Wiseco
Old 06-29-2018, 04:52 PM   #142
Woodard2589
Scooby Newbie

Just installed the intake for the 1+ tune and wondering if I might have a vacuum leak. I don't remember my AF learning values at idle but swear on stage 1 i only seen it go high to 22 briefly after letting off the gas after driving hard. But now at cold idle it was 23.44 and warmed up its sitting around 19 to 20 now. Aren't those numbers high?
Old 06-29-2018, 05:26 PM   #143
maperformance
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
2015 WRX
DGM

Seems a bit high. I would check for leaks around the MAF, or the MAF could be dirty as well....

Quote:
Just installed the intake for the 1+ tune and wondering if I might have a vacuum leak. I don't remember my AF learning values at idle but swear on stage 1 i only seen it go high to 22 briefly after letting off the gas after driving hard. But now at cold idle it was 23.44 and warmed up its sitting around 19 to 20 now. Aren't those numbers high?

Old 06-29-2018, 07:54 PM   #144
Woodard2589
Scooby Newbie

I didn't check to see if the sensor was dirty since I'm doubtful it is. All the clamps seems to be tight and positioned good. I did notice that idle mow seems to be around 20, sometimes just over, but that's with the AC on full blast since it's 100 out today. If I turn the ac down it usually goes to around 17 or 18 and if I turn it off it's between 12.50 and 15. I can't remember what the values should be, do those seem right? I've heard intakes can be hard to setup right in these cars and since there were no instructions it might be wrong. Is there any certain distance or placements that the coupling is supposed to sit at?

Last edited by Woodard2589; 06-29-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:06 AM   #145
goodysgota72
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
WRBlue

Not bad, 85 muggy morning. Completely stock with just the e30 stage 1 tune and dead factory tires.

I think it may dip into 12s when it cools down on a good tire. Pretty healthy 60 for tarmac.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:52 AM   #146
Woodard2589
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
I didn't check to see if the sensor was dirty since I'm doubtful it is. All the clamps seems to be tight and positioned good. I did notice that idle mow seems to be around 20, sometimes just over, but that's with the AC on full blast since it's 100 out today. If I turn the ac down it usually goes to around 17 or 18 and if I turn it off it's between 12.50 and 15. I can't remember what the values should be, do those seem right? I've heard intakes can be hard to setup right in these cars and since there were no instructions it might be wrong. Is there any certain distance or placements that the coupling is supposed to sit at?
I cleaned the MAF and checked the clamps again as well as pulling the filter out of the coupler slightly. Nothing helped. I've seen af learning as high as 27 now. I did notice the bottom coupler has a bump in it that must have happened when I tightened the bracket to the intake. Looks like the bracket is pulling the intake to the side. I didn't have time to mess with it yet but I'll see if that helps. I did take a log while normal driving and a partial 3rd gear pull.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:27 PM   #147
dricacho
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 484614
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Premium
WRB

Anyone in here with a 2018 WRX running this tune?
dricacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:28 AM   #148
JayInVA
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 412206
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
Lapis Blue Pearl

IAN WE NEED BURBLE CHUNES.

LOL.

No I've been running Stage 1 and now Stage 1+ with MAP intake and would love some burbles (more than it already does).
JayInVA is offline   Reply With Quote