Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday October 22, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-18-2018, 02:18 PM   #1
dreadz
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 417993
Default Timing belt guide for an automatic?

Greetings,

After installing an HKS timing belt on my automatic EJ255 the belt has slipped twice. I think this is probably due to some oil getting on the belt/gears so when I fix it this time I'll do a thorough degreasing and maybe replace the belt. This problem has me wondering though: could installing a timing belt guide on an automatic engine have any negative consequences?

http://www.company23.com/products/subaruparts/520
dreadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2018, 05:04 PM   #2
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Could it help? Maybe.

Better to figure the issue, than bandaid it.

I know, from experience, that over tensioned valve springs can create havoc on the cams and timing belt.
Have trashed heads and pistons to prove my point.

To me, the TB guides won't hurt anything if properly spaced.
If you have a AT and are jumping time, how are the valve spring preloads and what possibly stupid stuff are you doing to make it jump time?

Just asking.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:25 PM   #3
dreadz
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Could it help? Maybe.

I know, from experience, that over tensioned valve springs can create havoc on the cams and timing belt.
Have trashed heads and pistons to prove my point.

To me, the TB guides won't hurt anything if properly spaced.
If you have a AT and are jumping time, how are the valve spring preloads and what possibly stupid stuff are you doing to make it jump time?

Just asking.
Thanks for the reply. This issue started happening after I pulled the engine and replaced the head gaskets after one blew. This most recent time it happened when I revved the engine hard while driving (makes sense). The engine is fairly stock except for a COBB Accessport tune. While re-assembling the engine a turbo oil line hose came loose while the engine was running (I was experimentally running the engine with the turbo disconnected and the oil lines clamped off) and the timing belt cover was off, spraying a geyser of oil up into the hood and then back down on everything in the engine bay, so that is why I suspect the slip is being caused by an oily timing belt.

How are valve spring preloads set? Would that be done only by changing camshafts or could the way I re-assembled the heads effect this?
Old 03-18-2018, 08:01 PM   #4
dreadz
Scooby Newbie

Did some reading on spring tension, it would also be effected by the bucket thickness, aye? I wanted to get a caliper and measure the buckets when I had the heads apart, and order replacements for any that were out of spec, but I didn't have time. I would like to get back in there and do a complete valve job. Gotta wait for the weather to warm up to do much of anything with no garage though.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:11 PM   #5
2slofouru
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 90539
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
My BOV goes
COVFEFE!

-Use the timing belt guide, you will probably need an adjustable one because of the HKS belt being thicker than oem. I'd recommend the company 23 guide, it comes with a spacer to get the correct clearance.

-Valve spring tension has to do with how "stiff" the springs are. If yours are oem and none are broken, their tension should be soft on the belt and have nothing to do with your problem.

Having any oil residue on the timing components can definitely cause the problem, make sure there are zero leaks that can get on those components before running it again.
2slofouru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:30 PM   #6
dreadz
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
I'm going to try a new timing belt tensioner in addition to cleaning the timing components. Thanks for the advice guys.

After reading about Gates quality control I am curious if the new tensioner will come with instructions to bleed/burp the air in the hydraulic piston.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:04 PM   #7
relative4
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 203132
Vehicle:
2005 LGT 5MT Stg2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadz View Post
I'm going to try a new timing belt tensioner in addition to cleaning the timing components. Thanks for the advice guys.

After reading about Gates quality control I am curious if the new tensioner will come with instructions to bleed/burp the air in the hydraulic piston.
Don't buy a Gates tensioner. Buy an Aisin.
relative4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:16 PM   #8
dreadz
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
Don't buy a Gates tensioner. Buy an Aisin.
The Rockauto photo had an NTN stamp on it so hopefully the Gates is an OEM tensioner?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...1445539&jsn=11