Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-20-2008, 06:42 PM   #1
Halforc
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 14597
Vehicle:
2001 GC8 RS!
BLUE

Default 2001 Impreza 2.5RS Head Gasket Leaking Oil

So my car was leaking oil and I couldn't tell where it was coming from. I had my suspicions due to the numerous problems Subarus have with head gaskets.

I took it to the dealer and sure enough it's leaking oil from both head gaskets. I asked them about the WWP-99 Service Campaign and they told me that was only for cooland leaks and oil leaks would not be covered. They wanted to charge $1700 to get them replaced along with the timing belt.

I took the car home without getting it fixed and was curious, does anyone know how long the car can go before there's damage from head gasket oil leaks? It doesn't seem to be leaking much oil atleast not in my garage. I plan on keeping this car forever and getting a new car in about 6 months or so and possibly doing a swap on this car anyway.

So what would happen if I just left it this way?
Halforc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
KingHardcor
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 186952
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
'08 2.5i
Blue

I can't answer your question but I think you should get an oil analysis to see it there is coolant in your oil. If there is, bring it back to them and show them that is indeed a warranted repair.
KingHardcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:56 PM   #3
Mike2.5
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 187444
Post Head gasket

I had the same issue with my 01 rs. It was a good thing I was still under warranty, I had it done rite away. I dont think its worth it to gamble on a leak like that. Better safe than sorry.
Mike2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:12 AM   #4
fenderman07
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 187471
Vehicle:
1998 Outback

I haven't heard much about oil leaks on those, just coolant like the campaign covers. I would fix it, theoretically you could just keep adding oil, but eventually the leak will just get worse and worse.
fenderman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:09 AM   #5
theshadowonme
*** Banned ***

Member#: 168096
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
PSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderman07 View Post
I haven't heard much about oil leaks on those, just coolant like the campaign covers. I would fix it, theoretically you could just keep adding oil, but eventually the leak will just get worse and worse.
Please explain...

I would really like to know how adding more and more oil to the car would keep it going?

The car is going to die from the oil being contaminated by coolant. Water isn't really that slippery last time i checked.

If you really want to do a self analysis, drop the oil out of the car if it's milky your H/G's are borked.

I'm pretty sure peaty is from the KC area... maybe St. Louis, try to look on a local board and see if you can find someone wanting to make a few bucks that has a decent amount of experience. Headgaskets are not that hard to replace, just gotta know what you're going to do and start taking things apart bolt by bolt and then putting it back together bolt by bolt.

Good luck, and if you do the self test, DO NOT drive the car unless you want to buy a whole new motor.
theshadowonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:10 PM   #6
Halforc
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 14597
Vehicle:
2001 GC8 RS!
BLUE

So if I have an oil leak coolant is getting into the motor as well? Or is this only if I have a coolant leak in the heads?

Also does the Subaru coolant they put in evaporate some? It looks like the spots in my garage are smaller than they were before.
Halforc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:29 PM   #7
Drakuun
*** Banned ***

Member#: 92774
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
'02 2.5 RS
Platinum Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halforc View Post
So if I have an oil leak coolant is getting into the motor as well? Or is this only if I have a coolant leak in the heads?

Also does the Subaru coolant they put in evaporate some? It looks like the spots in my garage are smaller than they were before.
It depends on the condition of the gasket, for instance, I have a head gasket leak and my coolant is spotless, as is the oil. And I'm not even losing that much oil (down a quart after almost 7,000 miles) However, it's only a matter of time before it goes.
Drakuun is offline   Reply With Quote