Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 5, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > FA Series Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2020, 07:38 PM   #1
Bcbi2000
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 472017
Join Date: Jul 2017
Default FA20DIT overboosting at 27lbs?!

I am well aware that there are threads on boost creep, spikes, overboosting, etc... but I havenít seen a single person on the internet that is overboosting like this and it is consistently.

EVERYTIME I go WOT in the first few gears I will spike to anywhere between 25-27lbs. 27lbs very regularly, basically every other time. Itís only for a fraction of a second and when it hits, I feel like there is LESS power like itís cutting fuel or something for a second but no knock.

Stock turbo, stock motor, stock BOV.

Iím running a Grimmspeed EBCS. All the hoses and clamps look solid.

I have the following mods:
MAPerformance intake
Grimmspeed CATTED J pipe
Invidia catback
COBB AOS
IAG upper and lower TGV deletes
EGR delete
TurboXS FMIC

Protuned. Tuner said he set the boost at 19lbs. Before I was protuned, I was just ďstage 2Ē on a MAPERFORMANCE OTS map and I would overboost all the time to like 22-23lbs. NBD. I get less knock now and DAM is consistently between .6888 and 1.000. I texted my tuner and havenít heard anything yet. Thought Iíd see if anyone has any ideas since Iíve never seen an FA WRX overboost that high and mine does it every time I get on it.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Bcbi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:21 PM   #2
dusty_sombero
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 420856
Join Date: May 2015
Default

I would stop flooring it until you get it sorted. I donít know how many times you can hit 27 lbs of boost before something expensive breaks, but itís probably not that many.
dusty_sombero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:32 PM   #3
jasonwrx86
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 472037
Join Date: Jul 2017
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited
CWP

Default

I know my stock car would shoot up to 22psi for a second or two and then back down to 16psi.
jasonwrx86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:44 AM   #4
WrightWRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 494418
Join Date: Nov 2018
Default

Thatís not normal. Iíd stay out of boost until the issue is solved. Btw who is your tuner?
WrightWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:45 AM   #5
gn4rwhals
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 453427
Join Date: Aug 2016
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Detroit, MI
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Do you have any logs that show WGDC? Obviously do not try to get a WOT log right now but was just curious.
gn4rwhals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:04 AM   #6
Straight6
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 419593
Join Date: Apr 2015
Default

I would stop going WOT. The general consensus is to stay under 21 psi.
Straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:33 AM   #7
adam99
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 480524
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Pa
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcbi2000 View Post
I am well aware that there are threads on boost creep, spikes, overboosting, etc... but I havenít seen a single person on the internet that is overboosting like this and it is consistently.

EVERYTIME I go WOT in the first few gears I will spike to anywhere between 25-27lbs. 27lbs very regularly, basically every other time. Itís only for a fraction of a second and when it hits, I feel like there is LESS power like itís cutting fuel or something for a second but no knock.

Stock turbo, stock motor, stock BOV.

Iím running a Grimmspeed EBCS. All the hoses and clamps look solid.

I have the following mods:
MAPerformance intake
Grimmspeed CATTED J pipe
Invidia catback
COBB AOS
IAG upper and lower TGV deletes
EGR delete
TurboXS FMIC

Protuned. Tuner said he set the boost at 19lbs. Before I was protuned, I was just ďstage 2Ē on a MAPERFORMANCE OTS map and I would overboost all the time to like 22-23lbs. NBD. I get less knock now and DAM is consistently between .6888 and 1.000. I texted my tuner and havenít heard anything yet. Thought Iíd see if anyone has any ideas since Iíve never seen an FA WRX overboost that high and mine does it every time I get on it.
Stop going into boost before you hurt something. Did this just start randomly happening or what?
adam99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:10 AM   #8
Mike1Juliet
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 486921
Join Date: Jun 2018
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2018 WRX
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

What was the outside temperature when you when WOT? boost is highly dependent on temperature. If its hot, you need more volume of air to get the same mass of air which means more pressure on the turbo. Although my tune typically keeps me around 22-23, its not unheard of me to only get 19 in the winter or 26 in the peak of summer.


Is your blow off valve clean? What about the wastegates?
Mike1Juliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:16 PM   #9
Bcbi2000
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 472017
Join Date: Jul 2017
Default Update with tuner

Alright so this is so weird.

Got the car to the tuner and OF COURSE when it gets there is not doing it any more. It was going it on demand for weeks. No change in temps outside or the car. I had sent him a picture of the access port showing 27lbs so he knew.

NOT ONLY THAT but when he drove it it was underboosting at like 12lbs. We drove it together and he couldnít really explain the overboost issue without experiencing it but felt like the underboosting might have been a hose issue, he would have checked but was squeezing me in between other appointments. I got home and pulled off the splash guard. Couldnít find any loose or cracked hoses. Everything was and looked brand new. Car only has 35k miles so the wastegate and BPV are about as clean as youíd expect. He had given me a few conservative (WGD) maps for me to try and they were all completely consistent. No spikes, no inconsistencies, everything looked perfect other than the boost was low Incase we had any huge spikes while testing. He continued to email me a couple more maps allowing more boost until we were back around 19-20 where he wants it.

Really canít explain what was going on and why it just went completely the opposite by the time I got to the tuner but itís running fine as of right now.

I guess a takeaway is that I hit 27lbs on stock engine and turbo kind of a lot 😬, so for those of you Iíve seen freaking out when your WRX overboosts to 21lbs or whatever, youíre fine. In fact, thatís almost what my car is set to boost at all the time and has been set at for a while. Also, maybe you guys already know this, but my tuner showed me that the cars are set to pull throttle after spikes above 24lbs which is why it felt like I lost power when overboosting.

Tuner is Joe at Turbolab in Orem UT. Heís been good to work with, down to earth, and answers all my questions.
Bcbi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:26 PM   #10
rexster
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 22863
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: The Land of Mary
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium CWP

Default

25-27 in the first few gears? I don’t think it’s possible to get 25 in 1st and very unlikely in second even. Third and up sure...
rexster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:40 AM   #11
Mike1Juliet
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 486921
Join Date: Jun 2018
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2018 WRX
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcbi2000 View Post
I got home and pulled off the splash guard. Couldnít find any loose or cracked hoses. Everything was and looked brand new. Car only has 35k miles so the wastegate and BPV are about as clean as youíd expect. He had given me a few conservative (WGD) maps for me to try and they were all completely consistent.

I dunno man, you got overboosted to 27psi then when your tuner drives it you only got 12psi. Somethings not adding up. I would get a second opinion from another reputable tuner. I would still check your waste gates and BOV because theres a reason why your car isn't regulating boost even at 35k it doesn't mean you can't have problems.


Like I said call up another reputable tuner, tell them of your problem and what you've posted here so far and send them a copy of that tune maybe they can see something your current tuner doesn't.
Mike1Juliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:12 PM   #12
miket0429
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 467954
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Orlando
Vehicle:
2017 WRX - FBO Flex
Lapis Blue Pearl

Default

i'm FBO running Flex Fuel and tuned using Speed Density. Most I've seen on the accessport (Boost Extended monitor) is 25.56psi. That is the split second peak value of course. The boost gauge in the MFD tops out at 24psi so only the ap can display values over 24psi. I didn't know more than 25 was possible on the stock turbo lol
miket0429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:25 PM   #13
Bcbi2000
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 472017
Join Date: Jul 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miket0429 View Post
i'm FBO running Flex Fuel and tuned using Speed Density. Most I've seen on the accessport (Boost Extended monitor) is 25.56psi. That is the split second peak value of course. The boost gauge in the MFD tops out at 24psi so only the ap can display values over 24psi. I didn't know more than 25 was possible on the stock turbo lol
I didnít either haha. I think Iím the only one. The only one Iíve seen online at least.
Bcbi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:35 PM   #14
Bcbi2000
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 472017
Join Date: Jul 2017
Default I guess itís still not over...

So after my tuner got me back up to around 19-20lbs, that lasted for a couple of days, and now I canít get above 16 again... when I was at 19lbs my WGDC was around 70 at peak and itís down now to around 50. I want to say itís a wastegate issue, but it stays consistent when it decides where it wants to go. When I think itís a tune issue, the car runs where we put it at 19lbs with a 70 peak WGDC very consistently for a couple of days, and then it drops and stays at 15 lbs consistently. Ahhh.
Bcbi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:39 AM   #15
dpetro1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 487500
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Catonsville, MD
Vehicle:
2018 WRX

Default

I would check the ecbs lines again. Also, could there be a boost leak somewhere? The fact that you are getting inconsistent wgdc readings seems to tell me that the ecu and wg are trying to adjust and maintain proper boost.
Check all vac lines, charge pipes, etc?
dpetro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2020 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.