Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday June 30, 2022
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-22-2021, 10:34 AM   #1
Ledface
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 425129
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2020 WRX STI Base
World Rally Blue Pearl

Impreza WRX STi 2020 STI, Cobb Stage 1+ 93 Discussion

Hey guys,

I recently bought a 2020 STI base off the showroom floor. After 2k miles I decided to do my first mod. The COBB Stage 1+ package. As I'm sure you know this includes the SF intake, airbox, and accessport. I've driven a couple hundred miles with the stage 1+ 93 octane regular wastegate tune and I'm loving it so far. Incredible turbo noises and the car drives so much smoother. Not to mention it is noticeably faster.

So far I haven't had any real issues, I just want to reach out and see what other's experiences are with 2018 STI type RA/2019+ STI's with regards to the COBB stage 1+ tune?

I don't baby the car but I also don't rip on it 24/7. My dam readings have never dropped under 1.000. I have noticed on occasion when cruising the feedback knock/fine knock learn have had readings of -1.4 for a very short time. I've come to understand that is normal, and a good indication of a healthy tune. The AFR readings also look perfect which is awesome, since I've read the stock tune can run lean at high load at RPM's below ~3.5k.

One potential point of concern would be the injector duty cycle readings. I've noticed that full WOT accelerations regularly yield IDC readings of 95%+. I've even seen 100%-102% once or twice, which is kind of concerning. What do you guys think of this? I'd like to keep the car at this power level, but maybe I have to upgrade injectors/fuel pump. I feel like if I do that I am going to have to get a protune and then I'll get sucked down the mod rabbit hole. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks for reading!
Ledface is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2021, 10:46 AM   #2
Jefe159
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 486182
Vehicle:
11 STI
sparkly fun gray

Glad you're enjoying it.

You should not have any issues with this set up. Monitor your AP to make sure nothing is looking weird, as you have been doing, and you'll be fine. If something is looking off just go back to stock; all it is is an air filter and a metal box. I know the butt-dyno is making the car seem faster with the tune, but I'll tell you its not much.

You don't need to even think about injectors at this level, just drive the car and enjoy it, don't over think it
Jefe159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:48 AM   #3
MikeG4936
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 260561
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX Ltd
Grey

I wouldn't worry about those IDC readings too much, as long as you're following Cobb's map notes for the OTS tunes. They do a ton of testing to ensure that they are safe, and almost all issues people have with them stem from using unsupported mods with their OTS tunes.

If you are looking to go down the mod rabbit hole, look into E85 availability in your area. Injectors/pump/downpipe/flexfuel/protune is a MASSIVE step up in terms of power and torque, with minimal risk as long as you're not an abusive driver.
MikeG4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:03 PM   #4
ntg44
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 510765
Vehicle:
2020 WRX STI

No 1+ tune here, but the OTS 93 stage 1 is absolutely faster than the stock tune on my 2020. No butt dyno miscalibrations. I've read on here numerous times that it isn't a big jump on the 19+, but that has frankly not been my experience at all. The midrange especially has a massive kick. Stock feels naturally aspirated in comparison. Just kind of gets to its peak poost in a much slower manner.

I am actually so thrilled with this OTS tune that I'd go so far as to say if the car came with this tune stock, I never would have considered changing the tune in the first place. Getting custom dyno tuned by Junior in a month or so, but it's really just to have a safe custom calibrated tune for my car and every modification going on it.

In my case, it's also not just me with this opinion. Every passenger I've driven in it has gone out of their way to say how much better and quicker the car feels with the OTS tune. The car honestly feels like my first time riding in an 04 STI. Has the same boost kick I remember experiencing for the first time 15 years ago.
ntg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:11 PM   #5
Ledface
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2020 WRX STI Base
World Rally Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
No 1+ tune here, but the OTS 93 stage 1 is absolutely faster than the stock tune on my 2020. No butt dyno miscalibrations. I've read on here numerous times that it isn't a big jump on the 19+, but that has frankly not been my experience at all. The midrange especially has a massive kick. Stock feels naturally aspirated in comparison. Just kind of gets to its peak poost in a much slower manner.

I am actually so thrilled with this OTS tune that I'd go so far as to say if the car came with this tune stock, I never would have considered changing the tune in the first place. Getting custom dyno tuned by Junior in a month or so, but it's really just to have a safe custom calibrated tune for my car and every modification going on it.

In my case, it's also not just me with this opinion. Every passenger I've driven in it has gone out of their way to say how much better and quicker the car feels with the OTS tune. The car honestly feels like my first time riding in an 04 STI. Has the same boost kick I remember experiencing for the first time 15 years ago.
Yea ntg44, I think the peak wheel HP numbers for the +1 tune are a bit higher, like maybe 15-25hp. Peak torque is even higher. But the gap in the midrange in HP and Torque between the +1 and stock tune is significant and not to mention MUCH smoother. Glad to hear you're loving the cobb OTS tune too.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:54 PM   #6
Jefe159
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 486182
Vehicle:
11 STI
sparkly fun gray

The Cobb maps have a reputation of enhancing the car's drivability (read: smooth) certainly, and many people out there would agree that "the car should come from the factory like this."

I am just answering your question the car should be fine, as long as everything looks fine. The car with the stock tune and intake will be MUCH faster than the car with a blown motor
Jefe159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:27 PM   #7
rtv900
Scooby Guru

Member#: 428511
Vehicle:
2016 STI

don't mess with your injectors
That's a great tune if you want good performance and also want the car to last.
I run the 93 stage 1 and am at 128,000 miles now with zero issues at all

thus far I've changed a set of rotors and pads and a timing belt, that's it.
rtv900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:24 PM   #8
jasonc32amg
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 36954
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2020 STI
White

I've been running a stage 1+ with the redline intake on my '20 for several thousand miles with no issues. It's not a drastic difference but it feels a little more potent ringing it out.
jasonc32amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:37 PM   #9
trentrog
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 530181

Hey guys I had a question if you guys wouldn't mind.

I am quite new to this scene, I purchased a 2019 STI in 2019, currently 24k, and has been doing well, recently I have wanted to get a bit more out of the car to "scratch that itch" so to say. I have been reading around quite a bit and there are many things being thrown around as what to do and how to do it. As far as that goes I am having a hard time discerning what this engine is capable of, in terms of "Reliable" (being able to see an additional 70k -100k miles out of the motor). I have the following list of parts that I think will get me to about 300ish wheel more or less, which is the goal. (seen below). Additionally a tentative protune scheduled to do the ECU remapping. Mostly just wanting to get some information before I make a decision, thankyou in advance for your replies.

If you guys/gals would give your experience, or knowledge, with the reliability of the stock motor (2019+, RA motor) that's making this power level I would appreciate it.

PARTS:
-Cobb Accessport V3
COBB Tuning SF Intake Black and Airbox
Stage 1+ Kit

-DeatschWerks DW65c Series Fuel Pump w/ Install Kit

-Injector Dynamics ID1050X Top Feed Fuel Injectors

-Cobb Fuel Pressure Regulator

-Grimmspeed 3 port EBCS

-COBB GESI catted down pipe

-IAG AOS

Potential parts: (depending on responses)

-IAG Equal length headers and up pipe

-Cylinder 4 cooling mod (cant really figure out if you move the headers if you need the cylinder 4 cooling mod)
trentrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:47 PM   #10
Ledface
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2020 WRX STI Base
World Rally Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentrog View Post
Hey guys I had a question if you guys wouldn't mind.

I am quite new to this scene, I purchased a 2019 STI in 2019, currently 24k, and has been doing well, recently I have wanted to get a bit more out of the car to "scratch that itch" so to say. I have been reading around quite a bit and there are many things being thrown around as what to do and how to do it. As far as that goes I am having a hard time discerning what this engine is capable of, in terms of "Reliable" (being able to see an additional 70k -100k miles out of the motor). I have the following list of parts that I think will get me to about 300ish wheel more or less, which is the goal. (seen below). Additionally a tentative protune scheduled to do the ECU remapping. Mostly just wanting to get some information before I make a decision, thankyou in advance for your replies.

If you guys/gals would give your experience, or knowledge, with the reliability of the stock motor (2019+, RA motor) that's making this power level I would appreciate it.

PARTS:
-Cobb Accessport V3
COBB Tuning SF Intake Black and Airbox
Stage 1+ Kit

-DeatschWerks DW65c Series Fuel Pump w/ Install Kit

-Injector Dynamics ID1050X Top Feed Fuel Injectors

-Cobb Fuel Pressure Regulator

-Grimmspeed 3 port EBCS

-COBB GESI catted down pipe

-IAG AOS

Potential parts: (depending on responses)

-IAG Equal length headers and up pipe

-Cylinder 4 cooling mod (cant really figure out if you move the headers if you need the cylinder 4 cooling mod)
I am pretty sure the Cobb stage 1+ kit with the 93 octane tune gets about 300 wheel horsepower. The part list you have laid out is capable easily of over 300 from what Iíve learned. Start with a catback and the stage 1+ kit and tune and you should be happy.