Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday June 29, 2022
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-29-2022, 09:37 AM   #1
casey_jones
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 511807
Default Camshaft Burrs on Cam End

I was installing my cam seals using the 32mm socket method. Well, maybe my 32mm socket isn't exactly 32mm because I got some small burrs just near where the seal sits. (Just ordered the ASF Machining tool since I won't be at work for awhile to make one myself)

I've sanded them down, 320->400->600 grit, and applied a layer of JB Weld and flattened it out, I'll sand that down when it's time. (I do this all the time at work, when mold dies or steel parts get deburred and making a new mold or die is too expensive, have never had a problem with fast moving parts in 55 ton press machines, although I usually throw it on the mill to get the tolerance I need)

The only real problem I see is that the burrs would wear down the cam seal(on the exhaust side, as you all know the AVCS intake side the seal doesn't go around the camshaft so those should be fine, deburred them anyway) I don't really want to have to get new cams for the exhaust side and pull my heads again and send them to the machine shop. I guess I could measure myself and tell my machinist but it would probably be better to just send them to him.

Really annoyed that I didn't just buy the right tool in the first place. I've seen people on other cars using RTV for something like this, but I figured JBWeld would hold better.

Anyone have any thoughts? I figured if I can get it flat it should be a problem. And it's not really under the seal, it's right above it, mostly just worried about burrs when installing the seal since I don't think it actually rubs on the seal.
casey_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2022, 11:53 PM   #2
big_krish
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 530206

Definitely would recommend RTV over JB-Weld, not sure how well JB-Weld will seal since it dries harder than RTV (closer to actual "gasket material"). From what I've seen the cam oil seals can be a little finnicky since they really only seal well when the mating surface is smooth and true. If it doesn't actually contact the seal I wouldn't worry about it, just make sure there's no chance of material getting in between the seal and the cam.
big_krish is offline   Reply With Quote