Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-23-2022, 09:49 AM   #1
TitoBandito
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 318302
Vehicle:
2004 Sti
WRB

Default High oil temps at track day result of sensor location?

Did a forum search first, and could not find an exact answer in existing posts.

I installed my oil temperature sensor into the galley plug on top of the engine near cylinder #3 several years ago, after doing a lot of research on NASIOC, I somehow came to the conclusion back then that this was the best spot for me instead of the oil pan (I guess I really wanted to know the oil temp at maximum, while coursing through the engine). I did my first track day on a full track after running it at several short/autocross tracks previously. After 2-3 laps, the oil temperature was reaching 235-240*F and so I would back off and run one gear higher for lower RPMs and not get into full boost as much, and that would keep it at 225*F.
Normal everyday city and highway driving is 190-205*F depending on ambient temperature, including the occasional spirited drive. Because I've located the temp sensor near the cylinder closest to the turbocharger, am I getting skewed readings due to heat soaking effect from the turbo? The coolant temperature never climbs above the mid-point, there's no coolant issues at all.
Not that this is directly related -- but after the track day I removed my TMIC and there was no oil blow by in the intercooler coupling or throttle body. I used to always have a slight wetting of oil in there. As I was checking if that condition had gotten any worse.

Background info:
Car: 2004 STi, lightly modified.
Oil system: OEM STi coolant-to-oil heater/cooler. No AOS or catch can. Oil temp sensor near cylinder #3, oil pressure sensor replacing OEM 'dummy light' sensor. KillerB oil pan baffle. Oil level was checked before/after runs, remained at full level for duration of track day. Oil is Shell Rotella T6 5w40.
Ambient conditions: 60*F, moderate humidity.
TitoBandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2022, 09:55 AM   #2
TitoBandito
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Sti
WRB

Also, I should have noted that since I reduced the power I was demanding on the car, I don't know if the oil temperature would have climbed higher. I suspect so, and that it would have peaked a little higher. But even if it did not increase, I don't think that running the car at 240*F+ for 20 minutes would have been good for the EJ257 at all.
So before I buy an external oil cooler I wanted to see if there was anything to my thought that the location of the sensor is part of my problem and perhaps a reading from the oil pan would have been a slight amount lower, at least enough for me to not worry?
Old 05-23-2022, 12:13 PM   #3
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 198281
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Relocating to the sump may change the temp some, but not a lot.

240* isn't too high if you're running good quality oil. 250 is when you start to keep a close eye and 260* is time to ease up.

If you're only doing occasional track days, adding a high-capacity sump would knock temps down a bit, and provide additional oil supply insurance for those conditions. I hear Killer B makes a couple versions
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 12:14 PM   #4
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 198281
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Relocating to the sump may change the temp some, but not a lot.

240* isn't too high if you're running good quality oil. 250 is when you start to keep a close eye and 260* is time to ease up.

If you're only doing occasional track days, adding a high-capacity sump would knock temps down a bit, and provide additional oil supply insurance for those conditions. I hear Killer B makes a couple versions
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:07 AM   #5
TitoBandito
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Sti
WRB

Won't have to twist my arm too much to get the oil pan, KillerB, I've had it in the potential parts list in my head for a few years.
Compared to an external oil cooler, which I originally thought would be the corrective action if the sensor location wasn't at fault, I like the oil pan better as the oil cooler would have created several new potential points of failure for leakage. When I buy and install the new oil pan, I would like to leave the sensor in its current location just to see what the quantitative effect is.