Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday July 22, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-21-2018, 02:27 AM   #1
JT99
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 177036
Vehicle:
2003 WRX wagon
White

Default SteamSpeed STX 63

I just purchased a new SteamSpeed turbo, and I thought I would document the upgrade here, in case there are others who are either already curious about this particular turbocharger or are simply curious of upgrade options for the EJ20.

Some background info:
My car is a 2003 WRX wagon. I've owned it two years, was previously a one-owner car from CA. The owner was traveling out of state when the engine blew. She traded it in and bought a new car at a dealership in TX, being told the car would go to salvage auction and probably be stripped and sold for parts. I picked it up via Copart auction.

The engine is mostly stock. The one in the car when I bought it had a chunk of one cylinder wall blown off, and thus I had the entire engine replaced with a long block from a wrecked 2003 WRX. During the swap, the 03 factory uppipe was replaced with a stock STi one. I used the car as my daily driver. About a year later I replaced the stock downpipe with a catted Invidia divorced wastegate model and got a tune. The car now also has full 3" exhaust and SPT intake.

The STX 63 is SteamSpeed's entry turbo. It is a direct fit turbo, rated 300-350 horsepower. I was originally leaning toward getting a Blouch TD05H-16GXT, but ended up deciding to go with SteamSpeed. It wasn't the deciding factor, but the 1 year warranty versus the 6 month some other companies offer is a plus.

The STX 63 is slightly bigger in physical size compared to the stock TD04 that came on the 03 WRX. According the SteamSpeed, the STX 63 is based off of a GTX2863R, which makes it a good match for the EJ20. It is a similar "size" to a 16G, but is using a more modern geometry than the 16G. The STX 63 is also listed as coming ported. It has an 8cm housing, and I wrestled with the 8 v/s 7 discussions people have had over the years regarding the EJ20. SteamSpeed said "The effective ARs are fairly close, but the 8cm housing is better flow matched with our comp wheel. Basically there is little difference down low, but a bigger impact on top, so that is why it is 8 instead of 7." Their web site does have the option to order the turbo with a 7cm housing if preferred (I assume at no extra cost), but I decided to roll with the 8. I would be very curious to see an actual test between a 7cm and 8cm of this turbo on the same EJ20, though.

Some pics of the STX 63 out of the box:

JT99 is offline   Reply With Quote