Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 26, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2019, 08:26 PM   #1
RickV
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 100488
Join Date: Nov 2005
Default Accessory Outlet

I just got a 2012 Outback 2.5i Premium and the accessory outlet in the dash below the HVAC controls has no power. The outlet in the center console below the arm rest and the one in the cargo area in back both work. I thought maybe there was separate fuse for that front outlet but couldn't find one. Does anyone have any suggestions???

Thx RickVJ
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:25 PM   #2
Mulder
Trust no one
Moderator
 
Member#: 11170
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Default

The sockets have a built-in thermal fuse that opens if it overheats. If that's blown the socket needs to be replaced.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:39 PM   #3
RickV
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 100488
Join Date: Nov 2005
Default

Thank you for that info I will look into it.
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:36 PM   #4
SirBrass
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207263
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern PA
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
World Rally Blue

Default

There is a separate fuse for that accessory outlet. We just went through this with my wife's 2.5i Outback Limited (2012 MY).
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:47 PM   #5
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30669
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: USA, North NJ, 07456
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
The sockets have a built-in thermal fuse that opens if it overheats. If that's blown the socket needs to be replaced.
Really?
If so, do you have a range of years and/or models?

Not picking, just I can't say I have seen it, but I will profess to not be an expert on every year and model Subaru.
I am willing to learn new stuff from others!
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:42 PM   #6
Mulder
Trust no one
Moderator
 
Member#: 11170
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Default

Sorry Charlie I don't have specifics, but it's common for those sockets to have a thermal fuse for preventing a meltdown or fire from poor contact with high-draw devices. The heating is caused by voltage drop in the socket rather than excess current hence the need for the thermal fuse.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:58 PM   #7
RickV
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 100488
Join Date: Nov 2005
Default

SirBrass what is the name of that fuse in the box? I see one 10A fuse that says accessory power outlet and one 20A that says Socket.
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:40 PM   #8
RickV
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 100488
Join Date: Nov 2005
Default

I figured it out!!! I went out to pull the cover off the fuse box and started looking at the fuse labels and found one called "Cigar" 10A. I pulled it and it was blown. I had been looking in my owners manual and the Illustration for the fuse box doesn't even have a fuse labeled "Cigar". Go figure. Problem solved!!! Not sure about the Cigar outlet because My 2012 Outback 2.5i Premium doesn't even have a ash tray !!!
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:40 AM   #9
SirBrass
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207263
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern PA
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
SirBrass what is the name of that fuse in the box? I see one 10A fuse that says accessory power outlet and one 20A that says Socket.
I forget which is which, but those are the two power outlet fuses sure enough. I think the one for both the trunk area and center console is the 20A fuse and the 10A fuse is for up front since each socket is about 10A. Check both to see which is blown.
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:12 PM   #10
Elbert Bass
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 283429
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Down yonder.
Vehicle:
2016 Fuji Sunfire 03
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Really?
If so, do you have a range of years and/or models?

Not picking, just I can't say I have seen it, but I will profess to not be an expert on every year and model Subaru.
I am willing to learn new stuff from others!
Can't tell you what years, but I know at least since 2011. You will never find the thermal fuse - it is made into the back of the socket - get out that ohmmeter or test light...
Elbert Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:20 PM   #11
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30669
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: USA, North NJ, 07456
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
Sorry Charlie I don't have specifics, but it's common for those sockets to have a thermal fuse for preventing a meltdown or fire from poor contact with high-draw devices. The heating is caused by voltage drop in the socket rather than excess current hence the need for the thermal fuse.
NP, makes sense. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbert Bass View Post
Can't tell you what years, but I know at least since 2011. You will never find the thermal fuse - it is made into the back of the socket - get out that ohmmeter or test light...
Thanks Elbert, appreciate the info. Yes, have a few DVM's and know how to use them.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:10 PM   #12
RickV
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 100488
Join Date: Nov 2005
Default

Yes, Elbert Bass, the center console and rear cargo area are the 20A Fuse and is called 12 Volt Socket and the front dash socket is called Cigar on the fuse box cover. What is so Effin' irritating is that none of the power sockets or the USB port have power when the ignition is turned OFF so it is impossible to charge your phpne, iPod, or any other USB chargeable device without the ignition turned on or the
car running !!!

Last edited by RickV; 01-29-2019 at 10:34 PM.
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:26 AM   #13
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30669
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: USA, North NJ, 07456
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Yes, Elbert Bass, the center console and rear cargo area are the 20A Fuse and is called 12 Volt Socket and the front dash socket is called Cigar on the fuse box cover. What is so Effin' irritating is that none of the power sockets or the USB port have power when the ignition is turned OFF so it is impossible to charge your phpne, iPod, or any other USB chargeable device without the ignition turned on or the
car running !!!
While true, it also means forgetting that a draw is plugged in means you don't kill your battery when the key is off.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.