Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday March 23, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Alaskan Impreza Club
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Alaskan Impreza Club Forum -- AKIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 07:31 PM   #926
P3Auto
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 241881
Join Date: Mar 2010
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: 907-355-6655 text or phone
Vehicle:
2014 P3 Import Auto
AWD Dyno, Mods, etc

Default

There are compensation tables in the tune that account for this. You could attempt to adjust the tables yourself via the Cobb tuning software or you could contact a local tuner that can help you out. You may also have to run an upgraded boost control solenoid of the stock one is max at high alt.

There are some more remote possible things that could cause this but I would start with the simple stuff first.

If you want to try it yourself I could point you in the right direction however if you have no tuning experience I would recommend you seek out someone local to your area that does.

The 14 spike is ok and still within range of acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenQ View Post
Question: Bought an 04 Forester XT with Accessport stage 2 OTS map for 91 octane. Cobb downpipe, uppipe, and exhaust. 5500' elevation at home. In Phoenix, 4,000' lower, it consistently boosts 2-3 psi higher. Any idea why it might do that? I'm at 8.5-10.1 psi at 5500' and 10-13 psi with 14 spike at 1500'.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
P3Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:00 AM   #927
flobro92
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 355864
Join Date: May 2013
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
Silver

Default

i was offered a trade my vf52 for a greddy 25g... would this be a good trade? if so what advantages would i get from it? right now i have a 2013 wrx stage 2 with a aquamist kit. i dont think it would be an exact bolt on right?
flobro92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:22 AM   #928
BenQ
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 366375
Join Date: Aug 2013
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Vehicle:
04 Forester XT
Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P3Auto View Post
If you want to try it yourself I could point you in the right direction however if you have no tuning experience I would recommend you seek out someone local to your area that does.
Thanks for the info. I suspected it may just need a tune but wasn't sure. I'll try to get it to a tuner soon since I have no experience with it. Will the tuners at 1500' be able to properly tune for my elevation? There aren't any tuners at my elevation in this area.
BenQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:05 AM   #929
flobro92
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 355864
Join Date: May 2013
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
Silver

Default

why does everybody love the vf52 in the newer wrx's? i cant seem to figure it out!
flobro92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:14 PM   #930
tribalwrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 32993
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: anchorage,alaska
Vehicle:
vf39 Best trap 110
Best ET 12.51 Dale tuned

Default

Ever drive a 2.5L with a td04 on it? The 52 is better matched for that engine
tribalwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:58 PM   #931
adnmoh1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 371044
Join Date: Oct 2013
Default

big problems with my car guys......

I have 2003 wrx with 2005 sti swap, ej257, 2005 ecu, harness, suspension, and trans.

I ran into a wall when it comes to a cel i keep hitting every day for the last year now. to summarize, i have a 5-15 second hardstart then car idles fines under 750 rpm as if nothing is wrong, the tests i have done

Boost leak,
Oil leak,
knock,
things i have replaced, since this started :

crank sensor,
cam sensor both sides.
cleaned avcs and took out the filters.
changed spark plugs to ngk
o2 sensor changed
timing belt and cam gears changed,
alternator belt changed
pulleys tightened
maf senor refurbished and cleaned
replaced bov
and verified ecu is still getting correct voltage on all sensors, and connectors.

this only started after i had to replace my a/c system when it broke
i have sunk nearly 4k trying to figure out the issues and nothing and no one has been able to help i even went to some known/famous garages around town (names will not be mentioned) and no ones seems to know what is causing this to happen.

the only conclusion i have come to is that i have a faulty ecu, harness, or something electrical that is relaying interference and causing errors every time. there's is nothing mechanical wrong with the car, since i can beat the hell out of it when it did warm up but in recent months have babied it to not create any more issues. now the most recent thing that popped up is that the car goes into limp mode and is prevent me from even boosting past 3500 rpm it just bogs and seems like engine is going to detonate which is new and really confusing. if limp mode was on why did it not turn on earlier?

i use my accessport to run a code check i get the same error every time, p-340 bank 1 cam, that's the only code i get
adnmoh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:27 AM   #932
13Legacy13
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 383352
Join Date: Mar 2014
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2003 Legacy L
Mystic blue pearl

Default

Hey dude, I'm lookin to swap out the engine in my 2003 Legacy L. What engines are best for a swap like that? And how much of a pain in the ass is it gunna be to do?
13Legacy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:10 PM   #933
T_woot
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 321665
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: CA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX VF39 Swap
WRX Blue

Default

Are bigger injectors a "safe bet" mod? I was wondering if I'll make more power out of my 06 wrx, vf39, all bolts on and wallbro if I install and tune for bigger injectors. If so how much more power? Currently at 304awhp/343
T_woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:01 PM   #934
P3Auto
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 241881
Join Date: Mar 2010
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: 907-355-6655 text or phone
Vehicle:
2014 P3 Import Auto
AWD Dyno, Mods, etc

Default

T_woot,
The quick answer to your question is that simply adding injectors has nothing to do with the final power output. This seems to be some kind of strange misunderstanding around the tuner circles.

Fuel injectors supply fuel to support additional power being added by other means, such as a larger turbo. IF your current injectors are maxed out and you had to be detuned due to lack of fuel then yes bigger injectors would allow you to make more power since you can add the needed fuel.

Injectors by themselves have nothing to do with the actual output of the engine. The only exception would be if you had very poor spray patterns or something like that.A better designed injector would provide better fuel delivery and possibly yield more power. Stock injectors to my knowlege have no real issues.

Based on your setup I would say your stock injectors would be at max however only close to redline(maybe). You would need to log injector duty cycle to know for sure.

You and possibly thousands of others are running around on the same setup. Until you upgrade your turbo or do something that increases air flow then I think you are ok. It should also be noted that going with a lot more power then what you have could lead to premature engine failure without internal upgrades.



Quote:
Originally Posted by T_woot View Post
Are bigger injectors a "safe bet" mod? I was wondering if I'll make more power out of my 06 wrx, vf39, all bolts on and wallbro if I install and tune for bigger injectors. If so how much more power? Currently at 304awhp/343
P3Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:38 PM   #935
907wagon
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 294468
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage
Vehicle:
2004 Wrx
Silver

Default

So I have a 2009 impreza 2.5i with 96,000 miles and I'm getting a p0420 code, a code for the cat below the threshold. I have no mods at all and not sure if it's is actually the cat or just a o2 sensor. There is one symptom, when I slow down sometimes my car idle gets really low, at the point it wants to die and sometimes even does die and from a stop to a go the acceleration seems slow like it's lagging. Now i don't want to pay $400 for a new car or fix the o2 when it is actually the cat. Does anyone know exactly what is the issue?
907wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:41 AM   #936
kcopping907
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 389127
Join Date: Apr 2014
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Everett, WA
Vehicle:
2014 STI
Plasma Blue

Default

I've been doing some reading up on speed density vs MAF. At what point is it really necessary to use speed density? Or is that generally for much more powerful builds?
kcopping907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:31 PM   #937
subawoo77
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 370658
Join Date: Oct 2013
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: OR
Vehicle:
07 Hawkeye STI
Black

Default

Had a question regaurding idle..I have a 2011 STI with built block..rods/pistons/cams and valves all the good stuff. Blouch Dom 1.5 w. all supporting mods tooo many to list. I do have a Cobb V3 as well.
SOOOoo... My question is I want my car to have some lope to it at idle.
Right now I am idling at 950-1000 rpms or so.
How do I adjust the idle?? Is it mechanicly safe??
I want my car to sound like this at idle!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrRuT4Y9xmc
subawoo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #938
P3Auto
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 241881
Join Date: Mar 2010
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: 907-355-6655 text or phone
Vehicle:
2014 P3 Import Auto
AWD Dyno, Mods, etc

Default

Download the tuning software from cobb then you can edit your tune and adjust idle. You can probably mess around with timing and rpm cells to simulate what your trying to do although I'm not sure there will be much value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subawoo77 View Post
Had a question regaurding idle..I have a 2011 STI with built block..rods/pistons/cams and valves all the good stuff. Blouch Dom 1.5 w. all supporting mods tooo many to list. I do have a Cobb V3 as well.
SOOOoo... My question is I want my car to have some lope to it at idle.
Right now I am idling at 950-1000 rpms or so.
How do I adjust the idle?? Is it mechanicly safe??
I want my car to sound like this at idle!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrRuT4Y9xmc
P3Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:43 PM   #939
subawoo77
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 370658
Join Date: Oct 2013
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: OR
Vehicle:
07 Hawkeye STI
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P3Auto View Post
Download the tuning software from cobb then you can edit your tune and adjust idle. You can probably mess around with timing and rpm cells to simulate what your trying to do although I'm not sure there will be much value.

Thank you..I will give it a try!

BUMP it ttt for more opinions.
subawoo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:13 PM   #940
xgotboostx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 390623
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Las Vegas
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
WRB

Default

Hello, I have a 2013 WRX with 15,000 miles with stock engine. Only exception is Group N Engine Mounts and Turbo Blanket.

I posted this on another thread, but wanted to hear it straight from a tuner. I didn't realize a thread like this existed.

I have a question about the Roughness Cyl gauge on the Cobb AP. I also data log all 4 Roughness Cylinders and I seem to be getting a count of 1 that appears for a second and seems to be a random cylinder. It never misfires on all 4 cylinders and it only happens in 1st gear at very low load and RPM like driving through a parking lot. No CEL, car idles at 750 RPM, no stumble or hesitation, boost gauge shows 20Hg at idle, and it never feels like it's about to stall. And it doesn't happen all the time. Some drives I see it, but most drives I don't.

Is this something that is normal and should I be concerned? I've read that the ECU can report false misfires, and have read that these cars have a reputation of running a bit rough because of the engine layout. Can hot weather and crappy ACN 91 gas have anything to do with it?

Thanks, and I apologize if this is the wrong thread to ask this question.
xgotboostx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:58 PM   #941
P3Auto
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 241881
Join Date: Mar 2010
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: 907-355-6655 text or phone
Vehicle:
2014 P3 Import Auto
AWD Dyno, Mods, etc

Default

The occasional recorded missfire is not uncommon. If your concerned I would make sure your plugs are fresh and gaped properly. The reason you don't get missfire codes is because the tune is designed to allow a few misses here and there. You have to have a certain amount of misses over a certain period of time before you will get a code.

The short answer is that your car sounds fine and there is probably nothing to be worried about at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgotboostx View Post
Hello, I have a 2013 WRX with 15,000 miles with stock engine. Only exception is Group N Engine Mounts and Turbo Blanket.

I posted this on another thread, but wanted to hear it straight from a tuner. I didn't realize a thread like this existed.

I have a question about the Roughness Cyl gauge on the Cobb AP. I also data log all 4 Roughness Cylinders and I seem to be getting a count of 1 that appears for a second and seems to be a random cylinder. It never misfires on all 4 cylinders and it only happens in 1st gear at very low load and RPM like driving through a parking lot. No CEL, car idles at 750 RPM, no stumble or hesitation, boost gauge shows 20Hg at idle, and it never feels like it's about to stall. And it doesn't happen all the time. Some drives I see it, but most drives I don't.

Is this something that is normal and should I be concerned? I've read that the ECU can report false misfires, and have read that these cars have a reputation of running a bit rough because of the engine layout. Can hot weather and crappy ACN 91 gas have anything to do with it?

Thanks, and I apologize if this is the wrong thread to ask this question.
P3Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:19 PM   #942
ak06LGT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 291829
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Anchorage
Vehicle:
2006 Legacy GT

Default

Newbie question, I am looking at an evo 8 for sale, the seller told me that it has been de-tuned down from 16psi to 14 psi. Can someone tell me what exactly this mean? Would it affect its durability in the long run? Thanks.....
ak06LGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:23 PM   #943
Sexyrexy1990
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 395644
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: I travel alot
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak06LGT View Post
Newbie question, I am looking at an evo 8 for sale, the seller told me that it has been de-tuned down from 16psi to 14 psi. Can someone tell me what exactly this mean? Would it affect its durability in the long run? Thanks.....
Basically a tuner (one would assume hopefully) adjusted the boost level down 2 psi which would lead one to believe that it won't use as much gas. To what degree I am not educated to say, but basically someone thought to DE tune it for better fuel economy. It wouldn't have an adverse effect on the longevity of the car, engine, etc.
Sexyrexy1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:15 PM   #944
ak06LGT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 291829
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Anchorage
Vehicle:
2006 Legacy GT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexyrexy1990 View Post
Basically a tuner (one would assume hopefully) adjusted the boost level down 2 psi which would lead one to believe that it won't use as much gas. To what degree I am not educated to say, but basically someone thought to DE tune it for better fuel economy. It wouldn't have an adverse effect on the longevity of the car, engine, etc.
Thank you I appreciate it
ak06LGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:00 PM   #945
xgotboostx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 390623
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Las Vegas
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P3Auto View Post
The occasional recorded missfire is not uncommon. If your concerned I would make sure your plugs are fresh and gaped properly. The reason you don't get missfire codes is because the tune is designed to allow a few misses here and there. You have to have a certain amount of misses over a certain period of time before you will get a code.

The short answer is that your car sounds fine and there is probably nothing to be worried about at this point.
Hey P3Auto, thank you for the reply. I talked to my tuner and he said this is indeed normal and almost pretty much explained it word for word like what you've said, but went into way too technical details that went way over my head. He also told me that running the gas tank near empty can cause a count in Roughness Cylinder and said something about not enough fuel pressure and too much air in the tank, etc.

I've also been testing this out, but it may be a longshot; I've noticed that when I run the gas tank pretty low, basically 2 ticks above empty the misfires happen randomly on a single random cylinder at idle or low RPM. I also noticed it caused my fuel trims to go lean. I've reproduced this event multiple times already and it's happened every single time. Since having a near full tank of gas I no longer get any counts in Roughness Cylinder or misfires.

Does this make sense at all? Perhaps you can better explain what is going on in relation to the fuel tank running near empty and having minor misfires.
xgotboostx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:03 PM   #946
P3Auto
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 241881
Join Date: Mar 2010
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: 907-355-6655 text or phone
Vehicle:
2014 P3 Import Auto
AWD Dyno, Mods, etc

Default

We tune a lot of evos and when I hear this story which is below stock boost I get very concerned. This has been done by people to cover up actual issues. I would get the car fully inspected including compression test by a reputable shop that knows these cars very well.

Personally I would avoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak06LGT View Post
Newbie question, I am looking at an evo 8 for sale, the seller told me that it has been de-tuned down from 16psi to 14 psi. Can someone tell me what exactly this mean? Would it affect its durability in the long run? Thanks.....
P3Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #947
P3Auto
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 241881
Join Date: Mar 2010
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: 907-355-6655 text or phone
Vehicle:
2014 P3 Import Auto
AWD Dyno, Mods, etc

Default

running low on fuel during certain driving conditions, stop and go, curves, etc can lead to fuel pressure drops and or air in the lines which can cause misfires and potential damage due to lean conditions during WOT or high loads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgotboostx View Post
Hey P3Auto, thank you for the reply. I talked to my tuner and he said this is indeed normal and almost pretty much explained it word for word like what you've said, but went into way too technical details that went way over my head. He also told me that running the gas tank near empty can cause a count in Roughness Cylinder and said something about not enough fuel pressure and too much air in the tank, etc.

I've also been testing this out, but it may be a longshot; I've noticed that when I run the gas tank pretty low, basically 2 ticks above empty the misfires happen randomly on a single random cylinder at idle or low RPM. I also noticed it caused my fuel trims to go lean. I've reproduced this event multiple times already and it's happened every single time. Since having a near full tank of gas I no longer get any counts in Roughness Cylinder or misfires.

Does this make sense at all? Perhaps you can better explain what is going on in relation to the fuel tank running near empty and having minor misfires.
P3Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:47 AM   #948
RH9
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 355553
Join Date: May 2013
Location: K
Vehicle:
1995 GT-R33
Midnight purple

Default

Recently i encountered a problem while increasing the base waste gate pressure or spring pressure. I have 44mm tial wastegate no MBC and no EBC. Currently running stock spring which was 1 bar. i wanted the boost to increase to 1.4 so used a spring to add 0.4 bar + the 1 bar spring , the smaller spring was placed inside and the waste gate was assembled again but the boost didnt increase.

Can you correctly define how this should be done ? or my waste gate is faulty and diaphragm is gone. It still hits 1 bar. Is it some to do with ecu boost cut function as well ? before the waste gate crosses the 1 bar zone the ecu cuts the fuel ?
RH9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:39 PM   #949
STI_GC8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 312709
Join Date: Mar 2012
Vehicle:
1994 Subaru GC8
RallyRed w/ Flakes

Default

recently swapped a 02 wrx ej20 with vf43 turbo in my 93 subaru, have supporting mods for bigger turbo.. runs good, however my boost control seems to be not functioning correctly. using tactrix tuning and have attempted to change boost but will not work.
3500-5500rpm - 10psi
5500-7000rpm - 15psi.
running a brand new HOA 3port boost control and tactrix tuning. unsure if im just doing it wrong or could it be the HOA ebc. anyfeed pros/cons on the HOA boost controller.
STI_GC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 03:38 PM   #950
QIKNES
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 405194
Join Date: Oct 2014
Default 2015 Sti Tune Questions

Hey P3 I Just Purchased A New 2015 Sti, Ive Put 2300miles On It But Im Looking To Add More Hp To The Car But Not Get Carried Away On $$ Any Recommendations On 2 Or 3 Things To Change For The Extra Hp I Want.

One Other Obstical I Really Want Is For The Car To Only Hold The Tune In Sport Sharpe But Go Stock In Sport & Intelligent Mode, Is That Possible ?
QIKNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tuner FAQ: How to pick one, what to ask of them, and how to prepare for a tune Unabomber Engine Management & Tuning 23 04-29-2018 01:17 PM
Bend, Oregon Tuners Carartist North West Impreza Club Forum -- NWIC 52 10-05-2010 10:07 PM
Tuner is asking me what compression I am using. Ryan314 Built Motor Discussion 7 04-24-2010 05:44 PM
('93-'01) sorry to ask if asked, how do u search ? christurismohk Impreza Forum 1 06-07-2001 10:11 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.