Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday March 23, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2016, 10:33 AM   #26
Retsyn
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 1910
Join Date: Jul 2000
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Default

The house is a vinyl sided cape BTW so there's really no architectural flourish to it either. I want a plywood box and a plywood rectangle on a cement foundation covered in vinyl siding that resembles the siding on the rest of the house. That's it. There's no carriage doors, no exotic requirements. Nothing.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Retsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:34 AM   #27
n2oiroc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 141952
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: milwaukee'ish
Vehicle:
18 golf arrrr!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post



Aliens watching us from space: "So, there are these magical green organisms growing wild all over their planet that provide the very gas that these dumb animals require to live...and they're killing them by the billions? "
About 1 hour after i brushed against that damn nettle i was spraying it. Had a big itchy welt on my arm for a week. Stuff is nasty.
n2oiroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:35 AM   #28
tobylazur
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 150289
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: PHX, AZ
Vehicle:
2006 SV650, 05 CTSV
1972 Travelall

Default

I'd like to get rid of the fluorescent fixture in our kitchen, and put in something nicer. Do they make recessed lighting that can be installed without attic access? I don't think there's much depth between the ceiling and the roof in the kitchen.

I'm not a huge fan of track lighting, but it maybe when we have to do.
tobylazur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #29
Kenmichi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 329599
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: RVA
Vehicle:
2004 STI Aspen White
2015 Jetta TDI

Default

Well I'll christen the new thread with a fun post.

Wife calls me while I'm at work and tells me the AC condenser decided to dump a bunch of water into the ceiling which made its way to the floor. So she shut off the HVAC and decided to just go to work... Guess I'll have to address it when I get home but this should be fun.

We do have a home warranty but we're unsure which of the components will be covered whether it'll be the ceiling repair or AC unit. Definitely puts a dampener on my day, I was planning to go pick up a BNIB JDM roof vent already painted Aspen White this weekend! But not now just in case the home warranty doesn't cover this.
Kenmichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:46 AM   #30
Thunderpaw
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 242205
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dallas
Vehicle:
2009 I don't know
Dirt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmichi View Post
Well I'll christen the new thread with a fun post.

Wife calls me while I'm at work and tells me the AC condenser decided to dump a bunch of water into the ceiling which made its way to the floor. So she shut off the HVAC and decided to just go to work... Guess I'll have to address it when I get home but this should be fun.

We do have a home warranty but we're unsure which of the components will be covered whether it'll be the ceiling repair or AC unit. Definitely puts a dampener on my day, I was planning to go pick up a BNIB JDM roof vent already painted Aspen White this weekend! But not now just in case the home warranty doesn't cover this.
Home warranty should fix the unit. Homeowners insurance should cover water damage.
Thunderpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:49 AM   #31
shiplemw
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 203905
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: MI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobylazur View Post
I'd like to get rid of the fluorescent fixture in our kitchen, and put in something nicer. Do they make recessed lighting that can be installed without attic access? I don't think there's much depth between the ceiling and the roof in the kitchen.

I'm not a huge fan of track lighting, but it maybe when we have to do.
They do make recessed lighting that doesn't require attic access.

They typically look like http://www.amazon.com/Halo-H7RICT-Housing-Remodel-Voltage/dp/B0009J8RMA/ref=sr_1_7?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1464878938&sr=1-7&keywords=recessed+lighting
shiplemw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:52 AM   #32
Grap
Dicky Nipperist
 
Member#: 6590
Join Date: May 2001
Location: In a hotel bar near you
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobylazur View Post
I'd like to get rid of the fluorescent fixture in our kitchen, and put in something nicer. Do they make recessed lighting that can be installed without attic access? I don't think there's much depth between the ceiling and the roof in the kitchen.

I'm not a huge fan of track lighting, but it maybe when we have to do.
Yes, they do have retrofit systems that you put in from below. Make sure if you have insulation up there, that you get IC rated units.

Like this: http://www.lowes.com/pd_60554-337-H7...AID=1706932857
Grap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:56 AM   #33
Grap
Dicky Nipperist
 
Member#: 6590
Join Date: May 2001
Location: In a hotel bar near you
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmichi View Post
Well I'll christen the new thread with a fun post.

Wife calls me while I'm at work and tells me the AC condenser decided to dump a bunch of water into the ceiling which made its way to the floor. So she shut off the HVAC and decided to just go to work... Guess I'll have to address it when I get home but this should be fun.

We do have a home warranty but we're unsure which of the components will be covered whether it'll be the ceiling repair or AC unit. Definitely puts a dampener on my day, I was planning to go pick up a BNIB JDM roof vent already painted Aspen White this weekend! But not now just in case the home warranty doesn't cover this.
Your condenser should be outside, the air-handler and coil are in the house. If you have water dumping in the ceiling, then the most likely cause is a blocked condensate drain, or a condensate pump has stopped working. Both should be fairly easy fixes.
Grap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:57 AM   #34
tobylazur
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 150289
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: PHX, AZ
Vehicle:
2006 SV650, 05 CTSV
1972 Travelall

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiplemw View Post
They do make recessed lighting that doesn't require attic access.

They typically look like this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grap View Post
Yes, they do have retrofit systems that you put in from below. Make sure if you have insulation up there, that you get IC rated units.

Like this: http://www.lowes.com/pd_60554-337-H7...AID=1706932857
Thank you guys. I suppose my next step is to see how deep the space is above the ceiling.
tobylazur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:00 AM   #35
Pohenegamook
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 134262
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hoenix
Vehicle:
-1 centrifugal
bumble-puppy

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliz View Post
They do have all kinds of programs. There was even a "group pull" a couple weeks ago in a natural area down the road (which I didn't know about until I started researching last weekend).
Pretty sure we have tons of this - I don't care for it but I've never been told to eradicate it / that it's noxious. It's definitely invasive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliz View Post
Unfortunately, nothing eats this. They are researching biocontrol, but there's nothing yet. I guess goats will eat it...but my work blocks that rentagoat site.
well, nothing eats it except people
http://www.botanicalartspress.com/bl...ot-horseradish

If it's edible, it's not noxious. It's invasive and annoying (but also tasty)

You apparently need to cook more lamb
Pohenegamook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:05 AM   #36
Grap
Dicky Nipperist
 
Member#: 6590
Join Date: May 2001
Location: In a hotel bar near you
Default

You might be able to install a few LED units if you don't mind making some holes in the ceiling.
Grap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:45 AM   #37
Kenmichi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 329599
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: RVA
Vehicle:
2004 STI Aspen White
2015 Jetta TDI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderpaw View Post
Home warranty should fix the unit. Homeowners insurance should cover water damage.
I hope so. Our home warranty is through FHA and they're really weird about how they spend money. Spent 600 dollars to try and repair a 700 dollar washing machine and when the 600 dollar repair didn't work they just replaced the whole washer with a brand new unit. But then they just throw tons of little 2 to 3 dollar parts at our malfunctioning dishwasher that have nothing to do with the problem.

"The dishes aren't getting cleaned"
"Well lets fix the utensil rack while we're in here"
"So how are we going to fix the 'dish washing' part?"
"Here's a new wheel for the top rack to slide on"
"So how are we going to fix the 'dish washing' part?"
"We should clean the drain"
"..."
"Here's your problem, there was a little barcode tag stuck in the drain"
"Please leave my home."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grap View Post
Your condenser should be outside, the air-handler and coil are in the house. If you have water dumping in the ceiling, then the most likely cause is a blocked condensate drain, or a condensate pump has stopped working. Both should be fairly easy fixes.
Sorry, wrong terminology but you got the idea.

Should be an easy fix but it's still something I'd rather not have to worry about when we're moving into a slight heat wave and have a newborn in the house.
Kenmichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:57 AM   #38
BraveUlysses
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 93205
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: WA
Default

Anyone had a fireplace remodeled?

Currently, I have a gas insert but don't really care for the look of the bricks and sitting hearth. I'm in the middle of putting laminate flooring down throughout the house and it really won't look as good with this 80/90's style fireplace.

Should I look for a contractor who can come up with a few ideas or hire an interior designer for a few hours to give us some ideas to present to a contractor?
BraveUlysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:04 PM   #39
Grap
Dicky Nipperist
 
Member#: 6590
Join Date: May 2001
Location: In a hotel bar near you
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveUlysses View Post
Anyone had a fireplace remodeled?

Currently, I have a gas insert but don't really care for the look of the bricks and sitting hearth. I'm in the middle of putting laminate flooring down throughout the house and it really won't look as good with this 80/90's style fireplace.

Should I look for a contractor who can come up with a few ideas or hire an interior designer for a few hours to give us some ideas to present to a contractor?
Apparently, covering the brick with Durock and adding tile of your choice is hot right now.
Grap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:34 PM   #40
hooziewhatsit
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 143938
Join Date: Mar 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Klamtucky
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliz View Post
Yeah, that's what I've been using, except recommended for garlic mustard is 3oz/gal., and coverage is 300 sq ft/gal.
Make sure you don't forget a good surfactant. Dawn dish soap works well with roundup. You want something to break down the surface tension so it soaks the leaves even better.

<-- Needs to go spray some more weeds. Daisies are on the docket this year. I've gotten rid of most of the thistles over the last few years, but still have a few here and there.

Edit: also check Farm/Garden type stores. They typically have bulk herbicides for prices that aren't too bad.
hooziewhatsit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:46 PM   #41
Grap
Dicky Nipperist
 
Member#: 6590
Join Date: May 2001
Location: In a hotel bar near you
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooziewhatsit View Post
Make sure you don't forget a good surfactant. Dawn dish soap works well with roundup. You want something to break down the surface tension so it soaks the leaves even better.
*Grap likes this*
Grap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:57 PM   #42
The Motel Fella
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 140147
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Lynchburg, VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retsyn View Post
So I've pretty much ****ing had it with contractors. Half of them don't bother to even return your call, of those only half actually show up for the appointment and then I get a quote that's completely unreasonable. All I want is a garage and a breezeway added to my house. I don't want marble floors or solid gold screws or ceiling joists made out of whale ribs or anything. I don't care if its insulated or drywalled. I don't care if they bother to put a room above it. How the **** can this very basic construction cost 70K?
Sounds about right.

Garage would be anywhere from 25-50K, plus tying into the structure...bruh, you gonna pay.
The Motel Fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:04 PM   #43
Retsyn
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 1910
Join Date: Jul 2000
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Motel Fella View Post
Sounds about right.

Garage would be anywhere from 25-50K, plus tying into the structure...bruh, you gonna pay.
It would actually make more financial sense to put 30K of lipstick on this pig, sell it and buy something else that already has a ****ing garage. 70K for something that MAY add 30K to my house. **** that.
Retsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:10 PM   #44
The Motel Fella
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 140147
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Lynchburg, VA
Default

^Sadly? Yup.
The Motel Fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:24 PM   #45
Grap
Dicky Nipperist
 
Member#: 6590
Join Date: May 2001
Location: In a hotel bar near you
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retsyn View Post
It would actually make more financial sense to put 30K of lipstick on this pig, sell it and buy something else that already has a ****ing garage. 70K for something that MAY add 30K to my house. **** that.
Yeah, next house I move into is going to have a garage already, or it will be built before I move in. When I moved into my current house, I had ALL these plans of 'Well the garage can go there, I can do this, that and the other thing." Then reality set in and I realized it would cost close to $15k just in site work to put it where I'd want, at the size I want, with the features I want....sorry, can't justify nearly $80k for a garage.
Grap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:35 PM   #46
cwb124
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 15571
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Not where you think
Vehicle:
2006 06 Forester XT
Silver

Default

$13,300 sound reasonable for a 96% efficient 100,000 BTU propane furnace with 4 ton 16 SEER heat pump/AC?
cwb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:41 PM   #47
Retsyn
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 1910
Join Date: Jul 2000
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grap View Post
Yeah, next house I move into is going to have a garage already, or it will be built before I move in. When I moved into my current house, I had ALL these plans of 'Well the garage can go there, I can do this, that and the other thing." Then reality set in and I realized it would cost close to $15k just in site work to put it where I'd want, at the size I want, with the features I want....sorry, can't justify nearly $80k for a garage.
I've put up with it for 15 years. I saved 30K and had 30K on tap from the bank and figured that would do it. The closest I got was 63K and he only had a 5% contingency. Everything I've read says that 10% is a minimum. There's only one thing worse than no garage. 1/2 a garage that I can't afford to finish. So, no. I'm going to have a few things done around the house, maybe do the main bathroom and ponder my next step. From a ****ing deep slipper tub...
Retsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:42 PM   #48
Grap
Dicky Nipperist
 
Member#: 6590
Join Date: May 2001
Location: In a hotel bar near you
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb124 View Post
$13,300 sound reasonable for a 96% efficient 100,000 BTU propane furnace with 4 ton 16 SEER heat pump/AC?
That's everything, installation, charging, permits, removal of old system....any ductwork?

Is it an easy installation or are they doing a s-ton of work to change it out?

Sounds a little high to me, but I've seen worse prices for less.

I found the original quote for the system that was put in my childhood house back in 1987...100,000 BTU gas furnace, and 2,5 ton A/C unit, $2,200 installed.
Grap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:50 PM   #49
cwb124
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 15571
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Not where you think
Vehicle:
2006 06 Forester XT
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grap View Post
That's everything, installation, charging, permits, removal of old system....any ductwork?

Is it an easy installation or are they doing a s-ton of work to change it out?

Sounds a little high to me, but I've seen worse prices for less.

I found the original quote for the system that was put in my childhood house back in 1987...100,000 BTU gas furnace, and 2,5 ton A/C unit, $2,200 installed.
That's everything. New lineset, changing my condensate drain out from draining to the floor to a pump down to the septic (not sure it's necessary, it's been fine as is). Charging. No mention of permits, I don't think they need them. Removal of old system.

No ductwork needs to happen as it's basically a one for one replacement, although they are giving me a bigger air filter duct area thingy.

Edit - I have no condenser pad currently, it's sitting on the mulch. They are putting in a crushed stone + fiberglass pad.

Last edited by cwb124; 06-02-2016 at 04:02 PM.
cwb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:00 PM   #50
DeusExMachina
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 13485
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Denver, CO
Vehicle:
OMG EJ22T
FTW

Default

Yay new thread.
DeusExMachina is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.