Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-17-2019, 12:35 PM   #1
Alejandro_okc
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 497685
Default 2005 STI Overheating Issue

I have a 2005 Impreza Wrx sti thatís overheating. Iíve officially checked everything I think could cause my car to overheat. I drained the coolant and tested the thermostat. It was working and the coolant looked good. I drained oil and it was still new not milky. I replaced my coolant temperature censor. I put everything back on and new oil and coolant. I start the car and began the burping process. It was lifted in the front to allow a easier process. It was staying at operating temp at idle for a good amount of time. So I dropped the car and began driving it. The car began to overheat again when I would drive and the fans would not turn on. Then I would get to a stop light or something where the car wasnít moving and the car would go back to operating temperature. While driving I got A CEL ď bank 1 system too lean Ē and ď vehicle speed censor and low circuit inputĒ. Towards the end of my drive the temperature starting rising too much when I got home the fans kicked on but the temp didnít drop. There was also nothing in the extra expansion tank. Any ideas? Iíve already pressure tested the coolant system And it held 15lbs. The car also has good compression. Should I just assume itís a head gasket and get to work? Should I look more into the codes?
Alejandro_okc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2019, 02:16 PM   #2
Foo_Blyat
Scooby Guru

Member#: 93750
Chapter/Region: MWSOC

Excuse me if this is a stupid question but did you make sure to have your heat on and at full blast during burping
Foo_Blyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:12 PM   #3
Alejandro_okc
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo_Blyat View Post
Excuse me if this is a stupid question but did you make sure to have your heat on and at full blast during burping

Yes I did.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:45 PM   #4
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Any air in the cooling system causes symptoms that look like bad HG's.
When you burped the system, did you have the overflow tank about 1/2 full?
When you installed the cap and shut it off, did it cool and suck liquid out of the overflow tank? It should and you need to have the overflow about 1/2 full at all times.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:38 PM   #5
Alejandro_okc
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Any air in the cooling system causes symptoms that look like bad HG's.
When you burped the system, did you have the overflow tank about 1/2 full?
When you installed the cap and shut it off, did it cool and suck liquid out of the overflow tank? It should and you need to have the overflow about 1/2 full at all times.

No I didnít I was told to fill it all the way up while burping the car? And the car when cool did not suck up anything itís still all the way up in the overflow.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:46 PM   #6
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejandro_okc View Post
No I didnít I was told to fill it all the way up while burping the car? And the car when cool did not suck up anything itís still all the way up in the overflow.
OK, then you have.......
A ton of air that may still be pushing coolant out.
Bad HG that is pushing coolant out.
Either way, you should be pushing coolant out the,overflow tank or some,other leak.

The system should be filled as much as possible, coolant in the overflow, run it to temp, shut down, watch the overflow level.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:22 PM   #7
Alejandro_okc
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
OK, then you have.......

A ton of air that may still be pushing coolant out.

Bad HG that is pushing coolant out.

Either way, you should be pushing coolant out the,overflow tank or some,other leak.

The system should be filled as much as possible, coolant in the overflow, run it to temp, shut down, watch the overflow level.

Sorry for wasting everyoneís time. When I drove it last time I completely didnít notice the speedometer not working( as my boost gauge is mounted in front of it) . I also forgot I had a snap on obdII reader. I plugged it in and I monitored the temp and on my gauge it was all the way at the top while in the readers it was marking my coolant temp at 173 so itís not overheating a gauge issue.