Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday May 12, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2016, 11:50 PM   #1176
Dave D.
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 130990
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Menzel Lake, WA
Vehicle:
06 Red Ltd.Wagon
Dom 1.5xtr JJ tuned

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05spyvsspy View Post
Hey guys, I just picked up a set of 2010 Wrx factory rims(17x7, +55 offset) for my 2005 Wrx wagon. I want to run the factory tire, 225/45/r17, and want to know if it will rub or put a strain on the wheel bearings. I also need some advice on what springs to install since I would like to eliminate the wheel gap. I use the car as a commuter so I don't want to have an aggressive drop. I also go camping and I don't want to lower the wagon too much due to clearance when going off road. Any advice is appreciated.
Same setup works great on my '06. Stock wheels, 17X7, 55 offset.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Dave D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:10 AM   #1177
Jackstand Johnny
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 408354
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Williamsburg, Virginia
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon 4EAT
WRB

Default

Saabaru, are you SURE that Saab didn't use different length or different size parts for the suspension and steering? Your wagon looks awesome by the way. I didn't think I would dig one of those in red but it looks really good like that.

Dave- is this with a wagon or a sedan? Cause there's a huge difference in what wheel and tire setups you can run between them. It's important to specify. Sedan owners have it a lot easier than we wagon owners do
Jackstand Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:13 PM   #1178
DevSuub
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 337913
Join Date: Nov 2012
Default

I'm interested to know if anyone runs a 245 or 255/40-17 on a wagon? I have an 04 wrx wagon with 17x9 wheels I'm trying to find the right size for aggressive summer tires (without modifications to fenders). May possibly run 25mm Perrin spacers.
DevSuub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:52 AM   #1179
Saabaru300
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334105
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: South East Michigan
Vehicle:
2005 Saab 9-2x Aero
Ver8 EJ207, 6MT, Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackstand Johnny View Post
Saabaru, are you SURE that Saab didn't use different length or different size parts for the suspension and steering? Your wagon looks awesome by the way. I didn't think I would dig one of those in red but it looks really good like that.
Saab didn't do anything to the suspension. I have heard there was a little bit of added chassis stiffening but only a little over the WRX Wagon. Geometry is otherwise the same as a WRX Wagon.

But my new setup is WRX geometry anymore :P
I'm now full 5x114.3 JDM STI drivetrain/6-Speed swapped. Sedan/STI has a 10mm per side wider track width so to compare suspension/wheel setups with you guys, lower the offset spec of my wheels by 10mm.

Wedsport SA-55M Powdercoated Gold by Wedsport: 18x8.5" +50 (+40 for Comparison), 5x114.3
My Tires are 245/40R18 Dunlop Direzza ZI Star Specs and they are wide.

So far, my rolled fenders in the rear that fit my previous setup isn't enough. I have added camber bolts to the rear struts and I am having the fenders pushed out more tomorrow (April 15th).
For the fronts, -1.0 degrees of camber isn't enough to fit the tires either, so I have on order some MSI Street Top Mount Camber plates to go on my OEM STI Struts with Epic Engineering Lowering Springs. Hoping to run about -2.0 degrees of camber up front. Better for road course stuff anyway. :P




Saabaru300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:31 PM   #1180
nbiroschak
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 440946
Join Date: Feb 2016
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Columbus, OH
Default

I have a 2007 wagon with coilovers set to stock height or VERY close.

I would like to run a 17x8 ET44 wheel with a 245/40/17 tire. Calculations say this will be about 25mm further out from stock. Has anyone done this setup on a 06/07 wagon before?

I'm pretty sure I'll HAVE to roll the rear fenders, I don't want to pull them though...

Thanks!
nbiroschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:13 AM   #1181
gt5228
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 443236
Join Date: Mar 2016
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: west michigan
Vehicle:
2009 impreza
white

Default

235 on mine
gt5228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:04 PM   #1182
qlee24
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 324335
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: MAIC!
Default

I have an 07 wrb wagon
Stock suspension
I'm looking at the enkei rpf1 18x8 sbc but I'm torn in either the +35 or +45
I know the 45 will work safety to the point of not needing to roll the fenders or crazy camber
I'm 235/40/18 for sure

But my question is will +35 be too much of a poke?
Thanks
qlee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:37 PM   #1183
Team Scream
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 121532
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
06 FXSTi, 06 FXTAT
06 STi Wide Body Wagon

Default

Sorry to dig this up from the nearly dead, but I poured through a dozen pages to try and find anyone on here with a wagon that has an STi swap....nada.

I have an 06 that I am in the process of doing an STi swap to, and want to run 06 BBS's and 245/45's on OEM (STI) struts (for now) with RCE Blacks.

Anyone?
Team Scream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:15 PM   #1184
Saabaru300
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334105
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: South East Michigan
Vehicle:
2005 Saab 9-2x Aero
Ver8 EJ207, 6MT, Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Scream View Post
Sorry to dig this up from the nearly dead, but I poured through a dozen pages to try and find anyone on here with a wagon that has an STi swap....nada.

I have an 06 that I am in the process of doing an STi swap to, and want to run 06 BBS's and 245/45's on OEM (STI) struts (for now) with RCE Blacks.

Anyone?
I have a Full STI swapped wagon. 5x114.3 Widetrack STi Suspension (lateral links, control arms, everything) Biggest I can fit in the wagon fenders, clearing Brembo calipers, and clearing stock STI struts while on lowering springs is 18x8.5 +50 with a 245/40 Tire.

OEM STI BBS fit perfectly with a 245/40 or even a 245/45 (which is what I have).


Saabaru300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:53 PM   #1185
yosemitemtb
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23437
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Central California
Vehicle:
'02 WRX Wagon
Original owner blue pearl

Default

In the past I've run tires as wide as 235/40/17 under my GG, so I knew it wouldn't be too difficult to fit 245/40/17. Tires are Nexen NFera sur4. Wheels are 17x8 45mm offset. Camber front -3.9 for autocross, -2.8 street. Rear -2.0 all the time. 0 toe front and rear. KW Clubsport coilovers, rolled rear fenders barely pulled. No rubbing on the street or at autocross, success!

yosemitemtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:19 PM   #1186
Sid03SVT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 183032
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
RWD Camry
Pull me over red

Default

This isn't quite necromancy, as the most recent post was a few days ago, but here goes.
2006 wrx WAGON current:
225/45/17
17x7 +55
suspension: stock springs & struts (with whiteline adjustable bars 22F 24R)
alignment: -1.5 rear, -1.4FL/-1.5FR

The setup I want to run is:
245/35/18
18x8.5 +35
The internet says it will stick out 1.5" further at all four corners, and gain 0.04" on the inside (so moot inner gains). Tire diameter is close enough to stock that it doesn't matter.

Willing to roll fenders, possibly willing to install flares if fender rolling won't cut it.

suspension options:
1.) spt wagon springs (aka pinks), GN tophats, KYB excel G struts
OR
2.) BC BR coilovers (more adjustable)

questions:
1.) will the 18x8.5 setup work with stock suspension? if rolled? if flares?
2.) will the 18x8.5 setup work with SPT/KYB suspension? if rolled? if flares?
3.) will the 18x8.5 setup work with BC BR Coilovers? if rolled? if flares?

I don't want to run crazy camber, I like -1.5 for street driving, and I daily this car.

1.5" of stick out is pretty drastic, I measured off the face of the existing wheel and at a minimum I'm rolling the fenders.

Thanks in advance

would consider 245/40/17 if I could find some reasonably priced 17x8 (11-14 wrx) or 17x8.5 wheels with appropriate offset if that would "fit" better. The 18's I'm looking at are 21lbs a piece, so not too heavy, not featherweights either.
Sid03SVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:12 PM   #1187
Bikelok
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 254851
Join Date: Aug 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Nor-Cal Bay Area
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon 5mt
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid03SVT View Post
This isn't quite necromancy, as the most recent post was a few days ago, but here goes.
2006 wrx WAGON current:
225/45/17
17x7 +55
suspension: stock springs & struts (with whiteline adjustable bars 22F 24R)
alignment: -1.5 rear, -1.4FL/-1.5FR

The setup I want to run is:
245/35/18
18x8.5 +35
The internet says it will stick out 1.5" further at all four corners, and gain 0.04" on the inside (so moot inner gains). Tire diameter is close enough to stock that it doesn't matter.

Willing to roll fenders, possibly willing to install flares if fender rolling won't cut it.

suspension options:
1.) spt wagon springs (aka pinks), GN tophats, KYB excel G struts
OR
2.) BC BR coilovers (more adjustable)

questions:
1.) will the 18x8.5 setup work with stock suspension? if rolled? if flares?
2.) will the 18x8.5 setup work with SPT/KYB suspension? if rolled? if flares?
3.) will the 18x8.5 setup work with BC BR Coilovers? if rolled? if flares?

I don't want to run crazy camber, I like -1.5 for street driving, and I daily this car.

1.5" of stick out is pretty drastic, I measured off the face of the existing wheel and at a minimum I'm rolling the fenders.

Thanks in advance

would consider 245/40/17 if I could find some reasonably priced 17x8 (11-14 wrx) or 17x8.5 wheels with appropriate offset if that would "fit" better. The 18's I'm looking at are 21lbs a piece, so not too heavy, not featherweights either.


I can't help you about the rubbing, but as a daily driver you would probably be much happier with the KYB/STI combination. Great street performance without being harsh and a very modest drop. Also they will last for many many many many (lots) more miles than the BC.
Bikelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:32 AM   #1188
Sid03SVT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 183032
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
RWD Camry
Pull me over red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikelok View Post
I can't help you about the rubbing, but as a daily driver you would probably be much happier with the KYB/STI combination. Great street performance without being harsh and a very modest drop. Also they will last for many many many many (lots) more miles than the BC.
Thanks for the input, the only reason I was considering the BC's is because it's about the same money but they are more adjustable; however it's a daily so longevity and comfort is more important.
Sid03SVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:21 PM   #1189
Sid03SVT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 183032
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
RWD Camry
Pull me over red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pescatom View Post
Just installed these. Super happy everything fits. Still have a few mm to play with between the strut and the tire in the rear. It may rub the fender on hard cornering, but haven't determined that yet. It may not, depending on the suspension arc of the wheel. Probably will Thanks to Yin, Little White, and Big Sky for the advice!

year: 2006
model: WRX Wagon
wheel model: TSW Nurburgring
wheel size/offset: 17x8 +45
tire brand/model: Michelin Pilot Super Sport
tire size: 245/40/17
suspension: KYB GR2 Struts, STI Pink Wagon Springs, 26F/24R Sways
alignment: -2.0 F (Whiteline Com C tophats), -1.6 R
fender mods: None yet
spacers: None







Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid03SVT View Post
Thanks for the input, the only reason I was considering the BC's is because it's about the same money but they are more adjustable; however it's a daily so longevity and comfort is more important.
after much digging I found what I'm looking for; I'll probably run less negative camber, but I'm okay with -1.6 all around.
Sid03SVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:41 PM   #1190
DrnknZag
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 138473
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: PNW
Vehicle:
2005 Project FXT
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabaru300 View Post
I have a Full STI swapped wagon. 5x114.3 Widetrack STi Suspension (lateral links, control arms, everything) Biggest I can fit in the wagon fenders, clearing Brembo calipers, and clearing stock STI struts while on lowering springs is 18x8.5 +50 with a 245/40 Tire.

OEM STI BBS fit perfectly with a 245/40 or even a 245/45 (which is what I have).
Did you pull fenders in the front too? How far? I have STi LCA and lat links as well and have trouble fitting anything bigger than 225s on 5x100 BBS. Rear fenders are pulled slightly. I'm just looking for options to be able to run something bigger than 225 without running massive camber - thinking the best option is to pull the rear further and end up pulling the front as well.
DrnknZag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:05 PM   #1191
Saabaru300
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334105
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: South East Michigan
Vehicle:
2005 Saab 9-2x Aero
Ver8 EJ207, 6MT, Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrnknZag View Post
Did you pull fenders in the front too? How far? I have STi LCA and lat links as well and have trouble fitting anything bigger than 225s on 5x100 BBS. Rear fenders are pulled slightly. I'm just looking for options to be able to run something bigger than 225 without running massive camber - thinking the best option is to pull the rear further and end up pulling the front as well.
I have not touched the front fenders. I run -3.0į of camber in the front which definitely helps.

The rear fenders on mine is what is the tight fit. I have the rears pulled pretty hard. They just fit the 18x8.5 +50 wheels with 245/40 tires, both inboard and outboard clearance.
Saabaru300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:22 AM   #1192
adriang7
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 517135
Join Date: Jul 2020
Default

04 wrx wagon
I have Enkei ts-10 18x8.5 +45 and i need to get tires. I know i probably need a decent fender roll but will i be able to fit 245s on there?
adriang7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:56 PM   #1193
Enphenate
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 179301
Join Date: May 2008
Default

Just purchased an 07 Impreza 2.5i Wagon. It came with 18 OZ Racing Superleggera wheels and 225/40/18 tires.

This car is going to be a daily driver and I think this current wheel/tire setup is not very ideal for driving in Seattle. Would it make more sense to drop down to a 17" wheels with wider/taller tires for better daily driving comfort/handling?
Enphenate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:39 PM   #1194
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 50586
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs
Vehicle:
2020 STI
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Yes for sure, a smaller wheel with a taller tire makes all the difference for soaking up bumps in the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enphenate View Post
Just purchased an 07 Impreza 2.5i Wagon. It came with 18 OZ Racing Superleggera wheels and 225/40/18 tires.

This car is going to be a daily driver and I think this current wheel/tire setup is not very ideal for driving in Seattle. Would it make more sense to drop down to a 17" wheels with wider/taller tires for better daily driving comfort/handling?
murrdogg24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 12:54 PM   #1195
T-37
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 175624
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Wichita, KS
Vehicle:
0304 WRX WRX
SY WRB

Default

You could always do a 235/40/18 on your current wheels, if they'll clear your fenders, it adds a little bit more sidewall (and rolling diameter) and was noticeably less harsh for me compared to the 225/40. I'm pretty happy with that size on my DD bugeye
T-37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 05:51 PM   #1196
Enphenate
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 179301
Join Date: May 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrdogg24 View Post
Yes for sure, a smaller wheel with a taller tire makes all the difference for soaking up bumps in the road.
Makes sense, there are so many potholes, uneven surfaces, and generally terrible roads in some areas of Seattle, so I'm really trying to get the most comfort and control possible. Also planning to drive on forest roads and such during the summer and I feel like the 225/40/80 tires I currently have are not adequate for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-37 View Post
You could always do a 235/40/18 on your current wheels, if they'll clear your fenders, it adds a little bit more sidewall (and rolling diameter) and was noticeably less harsh for me compared to the 225/40. I'm pretty happy with that size on my DD bugeye
That may be an option if I decide to keep my wheels. I'm still debating if I should get rid of the 18" Superleggera's or not.
Enphenate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 04:20 AM   #1197
adriang7
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 517135
Join Date: Jul 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriang7 View Post
04 wrx wagon
I have Enkei ts-10 18x8.5 +45 and i need to get tires. I know i probably need a decent fender roll but will i be able to fit 245s on there?
Update: I got Michelin pilot sport a/s4 245/40/18 I have stock suspension, itís a light fender roll all around for now and I only rub on hard bumps going fast, turns at high speeds. The rubbing isnít eating my sidewall up itís more just grazing it. I plan on getting a flush fender roll and that should do the trick.
adriang7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
245 or wider tires on the rear? (WRX) j y Brakes, Steering & Suspension 8 07-05-2011 02:32 PM
245/40r17 or 235/45r17 on 17x8? toebotypera Tire & Wheel 7 06-08-2007 12:14 PM
245/50/16 or 245/45/16 tires on 16*7 rims?? coolray Tire & Wheel 0 09-28-2005 01:17 PM
Prodrive PFF7 and 235 tire on a wagon?? Alan l. Tire & Wheel 5 07-09-2005 12:36 AM
245 or 235s for my 18x8.5s tifosi77 Brakes, Steering & Suspension 3 12-02-2002 12:58 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.