Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-21-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
miller91
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 191475
Default So, i think my clutch is slipping...

So, i have been driving my car around town, i just bought it about three weeks ago. Recently i have noticed that i will be cruising and my idle will shoot up, i could understand this on an automatic car, but not a manual. At first it only did it when i was in 5th when i punched it to get around a semi on the interstate. But, now it does it in damn near every gear upon acceleration. So, my diagnosis says that my clutch is slipping, anyone have any insight?
Background info:
2002 wrx
108xx miles
Not driven to hard recently
Sat outside over night in -10 degree weather
Thats about all i have.

Anyways, thanks for the help everone.

Also, what is a good clutch? Im not looking for anything that will hold 500hp, chances are im not going to build this car...
miller91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
thefattestnun
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 184954
Vehicle:
2004 impreza wrx
silver

its just that ur tranie is cold does it do it wen its warm to or just cold
thefattestnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
miller91
Scooby Newbie

It does it whenever. But my father took it out with me and drove it, he told me it was because of the ice on the road (its -1 with -20 windshield and we got a **** ton of snow). So, to prove it to me he took me to a hill with ice, set it at 40 and punched it in 4th, of course, the tach shot up and settled back down. So, im hoping to god hes right because i have 30 dollars in my bank account until friday.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:30 PM   #4
miller91
Scooby Newbie

Old 01-16-2009, 06:50 AM   #5
JW1016
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 125007
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
WRB

I'm no expert but I would say it is not ice...because the speedo would also shoot up with the tac when the tires lose traction.
JW1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:50 AM   #6
rkramer
Scooby Guru

Member#: 118209
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limitec

Your dad is most likely wrong, at least from what you describe. I'd say find some dry interstate, put it in 5th, and then mash the gas. Let it get into full boost, if your tach hasn't shot straight up by this point your clutch is good. Although it sounds like you already have done this test, so yeah, your clutch needs help.
rkramer is offline   Reply With Quote