Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday June 25, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-01-2019, 06:40 PM   #76
nasiocnerd
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 499216

Quote:
Originally Posted by james-30 View Post
Anyone have updates on this issue? Still trying to get mine sorted out.

My tune has been amazing. Starts, cold and warm, are super smooth. I have not had any issues.

Did yours get retuned yet?
nasiocnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2019, 07:12 PM   #77
james-30
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 430450
Vehicle:
2019 STI
Lapis Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasiocnerd View Post
My tune has been amazing. Starts, cold and warm, are super smooth. I have not had any issues.

Did yours get retuned yet?
Not yet. Ive talked with Doug many times, probably going end of this month to have him tune me. For now I'm still researching. I'd hate to pay X amount of money on top of the $1k I already spent for current tune just to have the same issue on cold start.
james-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:33 PM   #78
Haive_Music
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 493578
Vehicle:
2017 STI
White

Quote:
Not yet. Ive talked with Doug many times, probably going end of this month to have him tune me. For now I'm still researching. I'd hate to pay X amount of money on top of the $1k I already spent for current tune just to have the same issue on cold start.
I was hoping you had yours in for a retune already. I've been playing a bit of phone tag with the dude from Boxer4Racing. He truly seems to be a decent dude who knows his stuff and has great reviews, but I'm getting anxious to get my tune re-done before it gets any hotter here for the year. I think I'm going to give it until the end of this week before I give this Doug dude a call and talk to him about my car as well.
Haive_Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:51 PM   #79
greygonzalez
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 461647
Vehicle:
209 STI
ISM

People who are having this stumble.... do you still have your air pump or is that deleted?
greygonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:59 AM   #80
Haive_Music
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 STI
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygonzalez View Post
People who are having this stumble.... do you still have your air pump or is that deleted?
I have the stumble, and my air pump is deleted.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:58 PM   #81
james-30
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 STI
Lapis Blue

Quote:
I deleted my air pump.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:37 PM   #82
greygonzalez
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
209 STI
ISM

From what I have gathered from tuners is that the air pump helps with the stumble. You can put it back on and it will go away, or just give it a little gas or blip
Old 05-05-2019, 09:26 PM   #83
nasiocnerd
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 499216

Quote:
From what I have gathered from tuners is that the air pump helps with the stumble. You can put it back on and it will go away, or just give it a little gas or blip

I can confirm that having the air pump does not help necessarily. I have the pump still, and my stumble would occasionally stall multiple times.
nasiocnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:08 PM   #84
james-30
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 STI
Lapis Blue

Quote:
Blipping the gas does absolutely nothing. Stumble is there regardless to what u try.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:11 PM   #85
greygonzalez
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
209 STI
ISM

Quote:
Blipping the gas does absolutely nothing. Stumble is there regardless to what u try.

Yes youíre right I should have clarified. It helps prevent the correction from dropping down to -45 during the stumble
Old 05-06-2019, 09:21 AM   #86
Haive_Music
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 STI
White

Quote:
It's a pita, but what I've been doing is waiting until the stumble 'just' starts to happen, then I blip the gas once, then twice, then... I'm good. It's always 2-blips, right when the problem starts. It's not an elegant solution, but it keeps my car from bogging way down to the point where it's struggling to stay running.

I think I'm going to be calling Doug over at DWB and getting his thoughts on this myself, and possibly scheduling a tune up with him to see if he can resolve my issue too.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:07 PM   #87
Haive_Music
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 STI
White

Just an update - I've been in touch with Doug from DBW Motorsports, and have a retune scheduled with him for 2 weeks from now. He's confident this is a tuning related issue. Hopefully he can resolve the issues I've been experiencing.

I'll report back on my tune after everything's said and done.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:42 PM   #88
james-30
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 STI
Lapis Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haive_Music View Post
Just an update - I've been in touch with Doug from DBW Motorsports, and have a retune scheduled with him for 2 weeks from now. He's confident this is a tuning related issue. Hopefully he can resolve the issues I've been experiencing.

Ive talked with Doug several times myself. I'm gonna have him retune me as well. Im gonna change a few items on my build first. Please report back asap with your results.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:20 AM   #89
STIdreamn
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 320853

Quote:

Let me know. Made friends with another sti owner except his is a 17 and doing the same exact thing. I'd like to let them know. Thabjs!
STIdreamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:45 PM   #90
GravyRobber
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 205568
Vehicle:
2017 WRX STi
WRB

Quote:

Looking forward to the results. Iím sure my Ď17 will have a similar issue once I get it running. Would be good to have a heads on a fix for a potential problem.

On another note, I see youíre in TN. Do you mind sharing who your previous tuner was so I can know to avoid that shop? PM me if you like. Thanks.
GravyRobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:46 PM   #91
Haive_Music
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 STI
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravyRobber View Post
Looking forward to the results. Iím sure my Ď17 will have a similar issue once I get it running. Would be good to have a heads on a fix for a potential problem.

On another note, I see youíre in TN. Do you mind sharing who your previous tuner was so I can know to avoid that shop? PM me if you like. Thanks.
Absolutely. I will send you a PM as I'm not out to publicly bash anyone.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:21 AM   #92
STIAH64
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 496443
Default Possible fix!!

So after months of troubleshooting I think my tuner and I have identified the problem. At least for me and the compensation works.

Remember that Air pump? Yes you can delete it and yes you can turn the codes off. Ever since we revised my like 15th map now troubleshooting we finally tried this fix, no more stumble, no more fuel cut, no more crazy AFR swings. I canít intelligently write what exactly occurs with the air pump and what he did, but I assume the tune is now over compensating for the time frame the air pump is introduced during a cold start closed loop.

Just thought I would pass along!
STIAH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:05 PM   #93
james-30
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 STI
Lapis Blue

SO you reinstalled your air pump?
Old 05-16-2019, 09:08 PM   #94
STIAH64
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 496443

Quote:
SO you reinstalled your air pump?
No I did not, Air pump still deleted. Itís all in the tune 100 percent.
STIAH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:04 AM   #95
Haive_Music
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 STI
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIAH64 View Post
No I did not, Air pump still deleted. Itís all in the tune 100 percent.
Yeah, I'm left wondering what exactly was changes as well. I've long suspected that the core of this issue lays somewhere with the map thinking that the air-pump is still on there, even if the tuner disables the codes associated with removing it, but I would almost expect the opposite problem - thinking about it, the air pump would be injecting more air into the system, which would consequently require more fuel. The stumble seems to occur due to a severe lean condition. I would almost expect an overly rich condition, unless the car is attempting to richen it up, realizing it's too rich, then trying to lean it out? I don't know.... I'm not a tuner by any means, just pure speculation....

In either case, I'm about 1/2 a week away from my tune with Doug @ DBW. *fingers crossed*.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:35 PM   #96
Haive_Music
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 STI
White

Just an update - I finished up my visit with Doug from DWB this week.

Very enjoyable experience. He truly took his time on my car and the tune reflects this. I've had a lot of various cars tuned by various places over the years, and I've never had a tune on any of them as smooth and drivable as this one is. Truly impressive, and it really made me fall in love with driving the car again.

The cold start issue isn't 100% fixed yet, but it's probably about 90% better. It's memorial day weekend, so I expect I'll hear from him next week in regard to the message I left him a couple days ago. Hopefully, he can resolve this 100%, but if not, it's still way better than it was. Before his tune, it was nearly dying for several seconds. Now, it's just a quick drop for a 1/2 a second and it pops back fine.

Overall, a very good experience. I wish I knew about him from the start, as I would have just brought my car to him from the get-go. I'll report back when/if we're able to fully resolve this in the upcoming days/weeks. Hopefully so!
Old 06-13-2019, 10:24 AM   #97
GravyRobber
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 205568
Vehicle:
2017 WRX STi
WRB

Haven't addressed this with my tuner yet because its not been much of an issue, but this is what mine does. Air pump delete, TGV delete, ID1050x, AEM 340.
GravyRobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:13 PM   #98
mblood1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 447393

18 STI with same issue - logs show it start as soon as it goes into closed loop. my AF correction maxes at -50 sometimes. lasts about 12 seconds. Im having some other issues like a stumble around 2200-2500 rpm, leaning out slightly around 6000 rpm. Have done boost leak test and monitored fuel pressure with good results.

1050x injectors
pump gas
TGV deletes
SAI delete
engine EVAP delete
IAG street AOS
Cobb inlet
Cobb intake
catless turbo back
IAG fuel rails and line
Aremotive FPR
AEM 340 pump

Having same issue. Has anyone confirmed a fix for this? I have gotten 4 revisions with no results.

mblood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:47 PM   #99
mblood1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 447393

Has anyone having this issue run a burble tune by any chance? Bren tuning offers a burble tune for the STI. Wondering if the issue could be related to a fouled front o2 sensor caused by the extra fuel.
mblood1 is offline   Reply With Quote