Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday January 20, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-28-2020, 11:02 AM   #1
ou812zx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 190122
Default looking at a local 2005 Impreza RS 2.5 wagon, with loud engine rotational noise

My gf's daughter needs a cheap reliable rig, and since we have snow in southern Oregon, a subaru makes total sense.

With that in mind, have found a local 2.5 impreza wagon for sale. Car was driven daily up until recently as the car makes a very loud rotational noise when running in neutral. I looked at the oil and coolant and they looked reasonable abeit dirty and needing changed. The owner agreed to let me remove the accessory belts so i did both belts and the noise was still there, maybe about 90% still. She is asking $600 for the car (was a company car, all stock, 143k miles, clean title, needs detailed but reasonable shape and seems like a killer deal), but I dont want to get a rig that needs an engine going into winter.....could it be the timing components or water pump or oil pump? I have brief videos I could upload if it might help diagnose......thanks in advance, Jeff in so Oregon....

edit....video of the noise

Last edited by ou812zx; 10-28-2020 at 11:16 AM. Reason: added video link
ou812zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2020, 12:25 AM   #2
Patrick Olsen
Scooby Guru

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
1996 Impreza coupe

It's always tough to diagnose noise through the intarwebs, but to me that does sound like it could be a bad bearing in one of the timing belt idlers or the timing belt tensioner.

It wouldn't be a huge amount of work to take off the timing belt covers and see if that helps you hear where the noise is coming from.

On the other hand, it might be easier / better to buy a nice, reliable Civic or Corolla or whatever and throw some good winter tires on it.
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:15 PM   #3
serrilion
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 348982
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
03 OBS
Black

I would lean toward belt tensioner, as stated open up the covers and if it jumps ect then you know. I personally would ask if you can do this, sadly you need to remove the harmonic balance and then the covers and then replace the balancer and start the motor. 143k if the belt was done and not any of the idlers it can sound like that quickly. Another way for a bearing depending on you hearing is metal stick to motor block then to your ear trick... just another idea
serrilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:41 PM   #4
Mbk7660
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 520551

Could be 60% the belt tensioner bearing
Mbk7660 is offline   Reply With Quote