Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-18-2018, 05:08 PM   #501
sgruby
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 462275
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObewanKenobi View Post
Mine does that when I leave the garage because the unit can't read the wifi anymore.

If you pay for Sirius then it will say that if you lose signal.

I have WiFi off, so it must be Starlink (I don’t have Sirius). I’m not subscribed to Starlink so there is no reason for the message to be displayed. Hopefully the latest update gets rid of the annoying message for me.

Does anyone know if WiFi does anything? I know over the air updates aren’t being pushed.
sgruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2018, 08:11 PM   #502
KC
Scooby Guru

Member#: 442
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

Ok, couple new ones, and I think they're related more to an update of AA. And they ruined the user experience. If this means Subaru has to get on Google to fix it....

These are voice to text problems.

1) Car hardly ever hears the command I give when asking for a confirmation. Like "Reply, or cancel" I say "Reply". "Reply or cancel?" "reply". "I'm sorry, I don't understand."

I really think the timing from the time it finishes asking to the time it begins hearing is either too short, or no longer happening. What makes me say this is:

2) Voice to text - it captures itself saying "What's your message" and appends it to the front of the text that I'm dictating.

--kC
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:01 AM   #503
KC
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

I've uninstalled and reinstalled AA on my phone. I also went into the settings and noticed it had me same car listed three times. I cleared ALL of them out and re-connected. Seemed a little more peppy.

I just have another issue with AA recognizing "OK Google". I did the setup after reinstall where you have to say it three times, but it just won't turn on.

--kC
Old 01-24-2018, 02:00 PM   #504
Suba Cool
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 463755
Chapter/Region: South East

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddavid View Post
I got it and it really seemed to do nothing to address my CarPlay issues. I have not played with it extensively, but the NEW issue that I have noticed that I never had before is when I put my car in reverse now and I am using my phone for CarPlay, the sound will have static while in reverse. This goes away when you are back in park or drive, but it is amazing they are ADDING issues instead of solving them.
LMAO, the original backup camera update was supposed to remove static.

At this point I'm already mentally budgeting the $500 or so in two years when the bumper-to-bumper warranty is up, so I can rip this turd stereo out and put an Alpine or something decent in.

Or who knows, maybe software update #8 will fix all the problems :P
Suba Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:33 PM   #505
jeddavid
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 464746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suba Cool View Post
LMAO, the original backup camera update was supposed to remove static.

At this point I'm already mentally budgeting the $500 or so in two years when the bumper-to-bumper warranty is up, so I can rip this turd stereo out and put an Alpine or something decent in.

Or who knows, maybe software update #8 will fix all the problems :P

Agreed I am with you on the replacement. I just know there are a few programable functions in the base model (6") that you can lose, like the door lock flashers, and the turn signal (blink 3 times) option.

At this point if I start my car, wait the 15 seconds for the phone to connect to the stereo via bluetooth, THEN plug in the phone, that seems pretty reliable as far as establishing a reliable CarPlay connection. It is just a nuisance when you are in and out of the car so much.
jeddavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:41 PM   #506
LehighAEPi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 481442
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Silver

Quote:
Agreed I am with you on the replacement. I just know there are a few programable functions in the base model (6") that you can lose, like the door lock flashers, and the turn signal (blink 3 times) option.

At this point if I start my car, wait the 15 seconds for the phone to connect to the stereo via bluetooth, THEN plug in the phone, that seems pretty reliable as far as establishing a reliable CarPlay connection. It is just a nuisance when you are in and out of the car so much.
I have had my 17 Sport for a few days now, maybe a week. No infotainment problems at all. However - why are you using bluetooth before plugging in for CarPlay? I haven't paired a single phone and make calls all day long.
LehighAEPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:17 AM   #507
buschap
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 464292

Quote:
Originally Posted by LehighAEPi View Post
I have had my 17 Sport for a few days now, maybe a week. No infotainment problems at all. However - why are you using bluetooth before plugging in for CarPlay? I haven't paired a single phone and make calls all day long.
I don't think they are using BT before plugging in for CarPlay, just waiting for the pair to complete so the HU doesn't get confused (which is seems to).

I can't imagine only using CarPlay and not having my phone paired. I don't always want to plug my phone in, and often BT is good enough. (Not to mention, in my case, I get a fair number of little audio crackles on CarPlay that don't occur over BT.)
buschap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:58 AM   #508
KC
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

Quote:
My phone BT is always on. If it's been paired with the car, it will connect when the system polls for the signal.

There are times I don't plug the phone into AA, so... having BT, I can still make necessary HandsFree calls while it's in my back or jacket pocket.

--kC
Old 02-01-2018, 05:00 PM   #509
jeddavid
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 464746

Quote:
That is correct, I have found if I plug the phone in before the stereo fully boots up, I will have more CarPlay problems, but if I wait the 15-20 seconds till I see the single strength bars, THEN plug in, then the transition to CarPlay is generally problem free.

I do like to have my phone paired cause in a pinch, it is still nice to use that function.
jeddavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:32 AM   #510
KC
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

Quote:
That is correct, I have found if I plug the phone in before the stereo fully boots up, I will have more CarPlay problems, but if I wait the 15-20 seconds till I see the single strength bars, THEN plug in, then the transition to CarPlay is generally problem free.

I do like to have my phone paired cause in a pinch, it is still nice to use that function.
I can plug in within seconds of starting the car. I just wait for the 'Warning/Acknowledge' message to appear before I do it - that's when I know the radio is ready. Plugging in when booting, and blue screen/StarLink still on, is when I've had problems.

--kC
Old 02-02-2018, 10:11 AM   #511
sgruby
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 462275
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
I can plug in within seconds of starting the car. I just wait for the 'Warning/Acknowledge' message to appear before I do it - that's when I know the radio is ready. Plugging in when booting, and blue screen/StarLink still on, is when I've had problems.

--kC

I generally find this the case as well, but in the last month, I’ve been plugging in my phone prior to starting the car and CarPlay has worked in every case except for 1.

There is definitely something going on where the system gets confused if it tries to initialize CarPlay during boot. Why plugging in first is working, I have no idea. The 2 differences from before is that I got an iPhone X and I got the latest firmware installed.

Too bad Subaru/Harmon Kardon can’t fix this by simply delaying looking for anything on USB until it is fully booted.
sgruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:13 PM   #512
88horizon5speed
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 442868
Vehicle:
2016 Impreza 5D CVT
Ice Silver

Do we know if the electronics problems we're fixed for 18? Just curious. I've had my 18 limited for about a month and 500 miles and so far everything seems perfect, even in the extreme cold.

Can't say the same about my base 16 I had before. The Bluetooth connection would mess up quite frequently and the time to connect with pretty high. Also when first turned in you had to wait like 30 seconds to press any buttons. My 18 works pretty much instantly.
88horizon5speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:27 AM   #513
KC
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

HU has been great, until a couple weeks ago.

While in AA, I have Waze on, and a notification comes in from anywhere (not text, just an app notification ding), the speakers go to the rear, and the HU gets stuck on "Map Volume". I can't get out of it to get back to volume control for the radio.

While this problem has existed, I have tried almost every kind of combination, turning off/on again, etc.... stays in map. Heck, I've even shut off the car, opened the door, closed the door, and started again, and it's stuck in Map still (how long for it to actually reset? Even this morning, I stopped and locked the car, went in to get my coffee, restarted, and it was still stuck in Map Volume. "OK Google, increase volume" - "Action not supported" (I thought it used to do this...).

I've also unplugged my phone completely while driving, bluetooth on (and also off)... stuck in map.

That it happened suddenly, while it may be due to an update to AA on my phone that doesn't "release" the map volume control back to the radio, I'm still leaning that it's a Subaru HU issue, because of above... I can disconnect my phone completely and it *still* stays in Map Volume. That shouldn't happen.

One thing I'd love to see programmed into the HU is separate volume controls like my aftermarket Pioneer HU in my BRZ. If you hit volume, both guidance and radio come up and each can be adustet separately. If there was a way to get the Subaru HU to do that... that would fix this issue (maybe... it has to release the audio yo the full car instead of just the rear speakers).

Oh, and https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...&postcount=421 doing that trick (Google Maps, destination) doesn't release it anymore. My HU was updated between then and now maybe a month or two after that post.

--kC
Old 10-24-2018, 09:20 PM   #514
KC
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

Played even more with it and I *think* I have the fault nailed. It only happens if I get a notification if, a) it's on RADIO (i.e. FM) and a notification chime plays while WAZE is running on the screen. It won't get out of MAP volume.

I was able to do the switch to GoogleMaps and directions today, and it went back to normal volume control. So, *shrug* about earlier. However, when I went back to radio, and back to waze, and another notification came in, it didn't release the volume again. Stayed on map volume.

I think this is a HU issue, as the FM channel is not part of AA, so what I believe is happening is the HU isn't getting the instruction that audio coming from AA is no longer playing and fails release volume back to the HU for FM.

If I am listening to audio through AA (like Google Play Music), it works fine. It's only when I have FM in the background and Waze up front.

--kC
Old 10-24-2018, 10:57 PM   #515
chanomatik
Scooby Guru

Member#: 159474
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

Sometimes my HU would remain stuck on low volume after receiving a chime of an incoming text message. I never listen to the radio, so it's only happened when using Google Play.

It typically goes away when I receive another text, but I don't get tons of those, so sometimes I'll text someone in hopes of them texting me and clearing the volume issue.

AA is forcing me to improve my love life.

Waze stopped working for me around February or so. I finally deleted it from my phone and just use Google Maps.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:07 PM   #516
KC
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

Looks like I'm getting a new radio. Went in today, it already had the latest update. Tech "You already know how to find out which version?" As I swiped through the menu...
Was able to recreate the problem for the tech. Radio on FM. Waze on. Set direction in Waze. Doesn't get out of map audio, and audio stays on rear channels, and lower volume.

I mean, I really think it's a software issue with the release back to the HU. If they released an update where they allow the individual adjustment of nav/music audio... swipe up/down or left/right on the icon or something to select which volume you want to adjust?

--kC
Old 10-27-2018, 09:01 PM   #517
chanomatik
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

No reverting back to factory settings?
Old 11-15-2018, 05:57 PM   #518
KC
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

New radio didn't fix issue. Didn't think it would. I really think it's in the programming of the radio and either AA and/or Waze. Happened on the techs phone too that was trying some other things. Was able to recreate it completely.

To run it down again, waze running, radio on FM. Get a notification on phone that's not a message (like FB post, instagram, news, whatever). Volume kicks to back speakers and volume control remains on map volume. Won't revert back to music volume, even after unplugging phone from AA. Remains on Map. (Even then it should revert back to radio volume and unload AA).

--kC
Old 11-15-2018, 08:55 PM   #519
chanomatik
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

Wait... Initially I thought you were posting about the map not exiting the screen. I didn't realize you had the volume issue too. That's the same issue I've had, where the volume lowers after receiving a text, but won't revert back to normal volume. It's inconsistent, but it's happened often enough to be annoying. My workaround was texting someone else in hopes of getting a text response that wound trigger the sound and cause it to resume. It works for me.

Or worked? I still haven't got my car back from the repair shop after the mid-August accident. I really, really dislike this 2014 Crosstrek I got as a holdover.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:07 PM   #520
KC
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

Yeah. It's the volume in the same conditions. An easier fix that mostly works (90%) is switch out of waze, to google maps, put in any destination. Once the map volume from GM stops, it's all normal. (Until it happens again).

--kC
Old 12-03-2018, 10:30 AM   #521
KC
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

And now, with the new radio, whenever I'm in Waze, and I have nav directions running, the audio goes louder, softer, louder, softer, louder, softer louder, softer every 3-5 seconds or so. Makes the nav COMPLETELY unusable in Waze.

Had a rental camaro this week with AA, happened in there too.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/as...luctuates.html

--kC
Old 12-03-2018, 12:26 PM   #522
chanomatik
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

Screw Waze. I uninstalled that thing. Google bought them out years ago anyway (iirc) and I hear they're testing out some similar features on Google Maps, so it's just a matter of time before you have the best of both worlds.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:33 PM   #523
KC
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

Agreed. Also, wanted to update to say I also found the fix for the most recent issue (audio up/down).

The Waze version previous to the one I *now* have would show notifications/directions that would pop up on the screen at the top of the HU. Disabling that, it fixed it. That said, a recent update to waze appears to even have removed the option to display it (which was enabled by defualt on that version). I was going to update this thread in how to disable it, probably had many complaints. It was a simple toggle. I can't find that option anymore.

So I guess the answer would be to update Waze if you haven't.

--kC
Old 01-03-2019, 07:35 AM   #524
KC
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

Aaaaannnnnndddddddd volume got stuck on MAP again this morning (and has happened a couple times since ^^^ ). Time to open up a case with SOA.

--kC
Old 01-03-2019, 11:24 AM   #525
chanomatik
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

My volume got stuck last week after answering a phone call. And on Monday night the sound started making a static, clicky noise as music played. Sounded like it was coming from an old, vinyl record. The next morning it was gone, but at 29k I'm very concerned. I want it to crap out before the warranty is up.